Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What city has the most pride?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R View post
    One way you might be able to evaluate pride in a city is the degree to which people who move away still relate to that city. Steeler Nation anyone?
    Or the Buffalo expat community, with Bills bars and Buffalo-themed restaurants throughout the country. Go to .. oh, North Carolina, and compare a Buffalo expat with a Rochester expat; the ex-Buffalonians will be far more nostalgic and "homerist", for lack of a better word.

I think another sign of pride in a city is to look at the presence of well-defined and documented expat colonies. What equivalents are there to the colonies of Buffalonians in Charlotte (see http://www.wfae.org/wfae/1_218_323.cfm) and Sarasota?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    What equivalents are there to the colonies of Buffalonians in Charlotte?
    New Englanders are all over southeast Florida. Eastern NC is loaded with New Jerseans. This is more a function of the level out-migration from a city than pride.

It could be painted in the opposite way: people with true pride don't leave a city.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Florida colonies:

-Port St. Lucie/Jensen Beach/Palm City, FL is a huge Long Islander colony. The Mets have their spring training facilities in PSL.

-Palm Beach Co. is heavily NYC/NJ metro transplants

-Broward Co. is still heavy with New Yorkers but has the most New Englanders is southeast FL, IMO

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Everyone around here knows that "You Just Can't Hide That SOMERVILLE Pride!"

Actually, I think the issue of pride is a little overrated. All places have something to be proud of - even the small towns with the largest spool of twine in the tri-state region. What matters more is whether people are prosperous and happy.

Registered
    Aug 2007

I think another sign of pride in a city is to look at the presence of well-defined and documented expat colonies. What equivalents are there to the colonies of Buffalonians in Charlotte (see http://www.wfae.org/wfae/1_218_323.cfm) and Sarasota?
    Another region that sends a lot of their residents to Charlotte is Western PA/Pittsburgh. When I was an undergrad in the Charlotte area, the non-kitchen staff at the restaurant I worked at was about 50% from Western PA at some point. I ended up in the Carolinas from 2nd grade through college after being born about an hour east of Pittsburgh.

The Pittsburgh connection is so strong in Charlotte that even if the Panthers are playing, if the Steelers are playing at the same time, at least half the TV's are tuned to the Steelers game.

My uncle was born in Pittsburgh, but now lives in Houston. There are so many Pittsburgh natives in Houston that the bar he goes to has the Steelers game on the big screen, while the Texans are relegated to the smaller TV's. (Could be that the Texans are a pretty crappy team! )

While it is good these ex-pats have pride, it is troublesome to witness the great exodus from the Great Lakes and Northeast. The mixing of cultures does make for an interesting city, i.e. the heavy Buffalo and Pittsburgh influence in Charlotte, beef on weck, perogies and sweet tea!

I miss Charlotte!
    Last edited by rcgplanner; 24 Jun 2009 at 3:52 PM.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Go out to areas of Phoenix and it's basically "Chicago in the desert". My own in-laws bought a second home out there because it's close to the Cubs spring training facilities and half their retired friends moved out there. There are areas on the Florida gulf coast where it's the same way (there is a huge Illinois/Chicago contingent in places like Fort Myers, Bonita Springs, Naples, etc.). The DC area also has large enclaves of former Chicagoans, and naturally large areas of southern Wisconsin and western Michigan where Chicagoans vacationed to for years and then decided to retire.

Registered
    Jul 2002

Cities

Or the Buffalo expat community, with Bills bars and Buffalo-themed restaurants throughout the country. Go to .. oh, North Carolina, and compare a Buffalo expat with a Rochester expat; the ex-Buffalonians will be far more nostalgic and "homerist", for lack of a better word.

Here is a web site where you can find the Steeler bar nearest you!
    http://www.post-gazette.com/steelern...eelersbars.asp
    WALSTIB

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    Go out to areas of Phoenix and it's basically "Chicago in the desert". My own in-laws bought a second home out there because it's close to the Cubs spring training facilities and half their retired friends moved out there. There are areas on the Florida gulf coast where it's the same way (there is a huge Illinois/Chicago contingent in places like Fort Myers, Bonita Springs, Naples, etc.). The DC area also has large enclaves of former Chicagoans, and naturally large areas of southern Wisconsin and western Michigan where Chicagoans vacationed to for years and then decided to retire.
    Yeah, definitely agree with all of the above. I'd also add St. Petersburg/Pinellas County FL, Sarasota FL, Orange Co. CA, Riverside Co. CA, Eastern IA, Northern & Central Indiana, and Southwest Missouri (Springfield/Branson) to that list. For an example of Chicago colonies and Chicago pride alive & well in Southern California, one only needs to see that Buena Park and Moreno Valley have Portillo's restaurants...the only ones outside Chicagoland.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Nov 2005
    I think Pride is varied by area about what they cherish.

I have lived in 4 places in my life and each had pride in something different...

Boston - historical significance, Red Sox, and Pats

NYC - financial capital and one of the most urban places in the world (New Yorkers think they are the center of the world)

Rhode Island - You can be at the ocean in any direction within 10 to 15 minutes (slightly exaggerated) and unique RI cuisine - stuffies and coffee milk!

Atlanta - prides itself on its history as a progressive city, civil right history, and the "center of the south".
    Satellite City Enabler

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Whatever Happened to Pride?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 49
    Last post: 09 Apr 2009, 6:27 PM
  2. Apology to Pride of Place
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 24 Nov 2004, 10:30 AM