Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cities where the population has an "attitude"?

Registered
    Dec 2008

Cities where the population has an "attitude"?

Wow, my second thread in just as many minutes - I'm on a roll!.

In your experience, what city's population has the worst attitude about "outsiders" or just a general sense of snobbery. I'm thinking Scottsdale AZ is pretty bad as well as Edina MN. It seems like every time I go to Scottsdale I am saddened that I don't have a perfect tan and a perfectly proportioned body.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by stroskey; 19 Jun 2009 at 11:46 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    We got an attitude here too and if you don't like it......

Actually we're a tale of two attitudes, one is of dispair and the other in of oblivious.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ok....

Some vibes I've gotten:

Greenwood Village, Colorado- Snob City
    Alexandria, Virginia- Arrogant
    Miami Beach, Florida- A massive sense of detachment

Unassuming places that shouldn't be:
    Aspen, Colorado- I never ran into smugness in Aspen....maybe I was just lucky. Trust me...I fully expected it to be DEEP
    Palo Alto, California- Another example of not running into too much smugness
    Newport Rhode Island- I love this place
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Palo Alto, California- Another example of not running into too much smugness
    Seriously? I worked in Palo Alto for close to two years. Trust me, it's plenty smug, though probably ranks just middle-of-the-pack for smugness within the Bay Area (most smug metro in the US, IMO). Marin County, Berkeley, the Oakland Hills, and Menlo Park through Burlingame on the Peninsula are definitely more smug than Palo Alto, with a few of the other Silicon Valley cities also probably ahead.

For big cities in the US, no one can touch San Francisco for smugness, though when you actually live here you figure out that it's pretty well concentrated in just a few specific demographics.

A good measure of smugness for each city in this area is to measure the number of Priuses per capita.

There's definitely a sense of "look how much smarter we are than the rest of the country" present pretty much everywhere in the Bay Area.
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    And just where was your grandfather's farm?
    What big city school did you go to to ram these reguations down on us?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    And just where was your grandfather's farm?
    What big city school did you go to to ram these reguations down on us?
    Who is that directed at?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Toronto at the top of the list, absolutely. Even when Torontonians are in Buffalo and dealing with its residents, they'll criticize the city, and often the United States, to locals' faces. If a Buffalonian visits Toronto, they'll often be greeted with "have any good fires lately, eh?" and other insults about their town.

Even tough I'm politically liberal, I've found a lot of collective 'tude in liberal enclaves like Santa Fe, Boulder, Ann Arbor and Ithaca. I wonder if Eugene, Davis, Chapel Hill, Madison and other such communities are similar. Some cites with that certain "vibe" do seem to have more of a "live and let live" environment; Lawrence, Fort Collins and Austin among them.

Rochester, New York has an awful lot of smug. Denver too, although it was more intense during the dot-com days.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I wouldn't really call Davis a "liberal enclave" just based on where it is and some of the large programs of the university, and I haven't ever really noticed much a 'tude there, aside from some of the more militant "Bicycles rule!" folks. I would say that Fort Collins has a pretty similar vibe to Davis.
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I wonder if Eugene, Davis, Chapel Hill, Madison and other such communities are similar.
    Madison has a smug problem!

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Even tough I'm politically liberal, I've found a lot of collective 'tude in liberal enclaves like Santa Fe, Boulder, Ann Arbor and Ithaca. I wonder if Eugene, Davis, Chapel Hill, Madison and other such communities are similar. Some ciites with that certain "vibe" do seem to have more of a "live and let live" environment; Lawrence, Fort Collins and Austin among them.
    In a similar vein, Charlottesville, VA has a terrible case of liberal smugness. I certainly lean left, but a lot of folks in C-ville seem to think it's the only enlightened place in the state. It's a pretty place and I count a lot of friends among the city's residents, but I can't spend more than a few days there without feeling suffocated by smarm.
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Registered
    Mar 2004

You win.....

Quote Originally posted by CJC View post
    Seriously? I worked in Palo Alto for close to two years. Trust me, it's plenty smug, though probably ranks just middle-of-the-pack for smugness within the Bay Area (most smug metro in the US, IMO). Marin County, Berkeley, the Oakland Hills, and Menlo Park through Burlingame on the Peninsula are definitely more smug than Palo Alto, with a few of the other Silicon Valley cities also probably ahead.

For big cities in the US, no one can touch San Francisco for smugness, though when you actually live here you figure out that it's pretty well concentrated in just a few specific demographics.

A good measure of smugness for each city in this area is to measure the number of Priuses per capita.

There's definitely a sense of "look how much smarter we are than the rest of the country" present pretty much everywhere in the Bay Area.
    Yeah, I was there a very short time....so I'll go with your take on Palo Alto, it certainly fits better with what I expected I still like the place for some strange reason....just to visit....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Yeah, I was there a very short time....so I'll go with your take on Palo Alto, it certainly fits better with what I expected I still like the place for some strange reason....just to visit....
    My wife will be visiting there this week for a conference. I'll have to get her take on the "smug factor".

I am in Urbana, Illinois, and even though it's like a very liberal island in the middle of a sea of red in downstate Illinois (and has a high Prius ratio, I might add) there is a relatively low level of smugness. Sure there are the uber-hippy activist types around but they mostly seem confined to certain neighborhoods and relevant council meetings. It might have to do with the lack of natural scenery or the midwestern roots that keep it honest. I don't know.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    There are varying types of attitudes that can be construed as "snobby" throughout the many neighborhoods of San Diego.

In the North Park/University Heights/Hillcrest area where I live, there is a lot of hipsters whose snobbishness usually relates to craft beer (although some seem to love drinking tall boys of PBR at bars due to the irony or something), fixed gear bikes (they love their spokecards, although its doubtful they actually ride in alleycats), Vespa scooters, and other ways which they can distinguish themselves from the yuppie-esque gentrifiers.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I would think that the Cambridge, MA area, as well as parts of Boston proper, would be smugness/snootiness central.

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    I'm thinking Scottsdale AZ is pretty bad as well as Edina MN.
    When I lived in Minnesota, Edina was the butt of many jokes including;

Edina stands for "Every Day I Need an Audi, Attention, Allowance..."

"Minnetonka has the lakes, but Edina has the boats."

Pretty damn smug area in a fairly laid-back metro area.

Quote Originally posted by CJC View post

A great episode of South Park is a satire on the smugness of some hybrid owners. During the episode, Kyle's father buys a "Pious" and gets tired of the backwardness of South Park, so he moves his family to more sophisticated San Francisco. Stan writes a song to get everyone in South Park to buy a hybrid car in order to get Kyle's dad to move the family back. In the end, the downfall of South Park is not from smog but smug. IMO, a classic piece of satire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smug_Alert!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'll second Toronto.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Toronto at the top of the list, absolutely.
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop View post
    I'll second Toronto.
    Oyyyyyy..................... I may have to move there!!!!!!!

Any advice would be welcome.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Its interesting that most of the cities mentioned are "notoriously" liberal college towns.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Chicagoans definitely have an attitude. I often find myself being that way sometimes, especially when I encounter people from out-of-state on the road or tourists downtown. I'm like "you don't know how it's done around here, get out of the f'n way." Or "who needs Millennium Park?...that ain't the real Chicago" I often find that we tend to take over many areas across the Midwest that Chicagoans like to visit and take our city attitude with us. We feel like we're the cream of the crop of the Midwest and have more money, power, and influence than anybody else in the region (largely due to our size) and thus we feel a sense of entitlement.

Within Chicagoland, I find smugness to be especially high in the Barrington area, Naperville, Lisle, Oak Brook, Hinsdale/LaGrange, the North Shore (Evanston to Lake Forest), as well as the Yuppie part of Chicago along the Lake. Additionally, I also notice that many people in Chicago proper or the inner suburbs, especially those in more blue collar sections of the city, have sort of an attitude of street cred and blue collar pride and an animosity towards the white collar people of the Chicago area and most especially, transplants.

It's kind of funny...out of all the places I've been to, I don't think I've encountered people with more attitude or sumgness than within my own metropolitan area. Everybody else has seemed to be pretty friendly, down-to-earth, and accomodating.

I imagine just about all of the above can be said of other large mega-places like Los Angeles, Boston, and New York though, places that take over large geographical regions, and have animosity towards tourists and outsiders who don't know how things are done there. As well as blue collar enclaves with street attitude and pretentious white collar enclaves chock full of smug.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    . . . I imagine just about all of the above can be said of other large mega-places like Los Angeles, Boston, and New York though...
    You 'imagine', but imagination isn't enough. Have you ever been in those three cities?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    ...Boston, and New York though...
    The attitude of these two cities, as well as Philly, is hard to top. New York is a little watered down by all of the transplants, but Boston and Philly are hardcore! Try telling someone from Southie, Charlestown, South Philly or Fishtown how to do something. You'll wind up with a broken jaw undoubtedly.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post

You're moving to Toronto from NYC? Are you on crack??!!!

People that live in Toronto think of it as a world class city when clearly its not. You'll find that the transportation system is crap compared to NYC and the atmosphere in general is not as exciting obviously. But the cost of living is definately more affordable, but comes with the trade offs.

Having lived in Toronto all my life, I find that people with the most attitude are the relatively young folks that have moved from small towns, which are often very hick. Now that they live in Toronto, they think they have made it big and think very highly of themselves because they think moving to the city has made them more "cultured" and "worldly". They go out for sushi, Indian food, etc. but only associate with people of their own kind. I'm obviously generalizing here but this is what I've noticed based on my observations.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    You 'imagine', but imagination isn't enough. Have you ever been in those three cities?
    No, but I know enough about them to make a guess. Relax. Maybe try contributing something more concrete about New York instead of belittling others.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Nov 2002

I have no advice unfortunately. My opinion is very superficial and based upon one short day in Toronto. The city itself seemed great and I wouldn't rule out moving there just because of my run ins with a few snooty locals.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    . . .Maybe try contributing something more concrete about New York instead of belittling others.
    Fellow Cyburbians, you be the judge:

Which is more likely?
    (1) I was belittling others; or
    (2) illinoisplanner incorrectly concluded that I was belittling others.

If enough people feel that (1) is the case, I will affably accept the standard 3-day suspension from this website.

Cheers,
    Seana

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 28 Sep 2007, 10:45 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 24 Jul 2006, 10:51 AM
  3. Replies: 81
    Last post: 27 Dec 2004, 12:47 AM