Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Closed thread

Thread: Boom & Bust from Telluride

Registered
    Jun 2009

Boom & Bust from Telluride

It has been a great experiment in planning and building an old boom and bust mining town, but after 35 years, we are still arguing a fundamental planning conundrum--"Is more less, or is less more?"
    Please join me.
    As a new member, you should know that I was the fifth new person to move to Telluride in 1971. Telluride was virtually a ghost town with two businesses in town open--both bars--and essentially the rest of Main Street boarded up or the buildings had been burned down to save on property taxes.
    Cute victorian houses were abundant, but in dilapidated condition.
    I rented my first house, a nice one with plumbing that worked, for $10.00/month.
    The Telluride Ski Resort started up in 1972.
    The population is now around 5000 counting both locals and 2nd homes in the region.
    A new muncipality was built from scratch and connected to the old historical town by a gondola that runs year-round for free.
    Homes now average $2.5 million--well that was before the crash.
    I was the Chairman of the County Planning Commission for all of the years of planning, zoning and approvals.
    I was one the founders of the Telluride Housing Authority in 1974 and helped develop workforce housing in Telluride and then exported the knowledge to the world and have built in 20 different municipalities and consulted in many more.
    Like so many other places, Telluride is at a cross-roads and I see this economic crisis as an opportunity to move--or fix the problems from years of arguing, bickering, and mass medocrity--and become what we had always dreamed of being.
    I am also one of the founders of Telluride's festival culture (Bluegrass, Film Festival, Mountain Film, Tech Festival) and arts culture.
    Also, used to own the newspaper and magazine, a development company and a real estate company and the Bank and ....

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    welcome from a resort/tourist town on downeast Maine!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome from the Hoosier State, along the Ohio River.

I had lived in CO '82-'92 in Breckenridge and Denver.
    Graduated from UCD in '91.

I have known some former town employees.

Registered
    Jun 2009

Thanks for the welcome

So, as a newby, how can I start a thread about "workforce housing"?
    I do not see anything in the forums that is on target.
    Thanks,

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by scottbrown7000 View post
    Thanks,
    We had a thread that discussed employee housing:
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...ployee+housing

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Greetings from approximately 1,822 miles (2933 km) east-northeast (67.2 degrees) of you and approximately 8500 feet below you.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by scottbrown7000 View post
    Thanks,
    Workforce housing is a relatively new term that is part of the wider arena of "affordable" housing. You might try searching under that name, too, and see what you find.

We have a recently passed Workforce Housing Bill here in Albuquerque. Among other things, it allows the City to act as a land bank in blighted areas we call "Metropolitan Redevelopment Areas." These are neglected, environmentally damaged and/or endemically poor parts of town that need reinvestment. MRA status also affords these areas the possibility of setting up Tax Increment Financing.

The land banking allows the City to acquire properties at current market value and hold on to them for future development. This development must be shown to serve lower income folks and, if approved, lots are sold to the developer at cost. Essentially, a development that starts in 2011 could get the lots for 2009 prices. There may be some other assistance/incentives that the bill allows for to facilitate this development, but that's about all I know about it.

We just had two non-profit developers go up before the City Council last night for approval on some projects through the Workforce Housing legislation. One was approved (senior housing by a local community land trust to serve low and very low income) and was was denied (by a CDC with a limited track record to build family housing). I don't really know the details.

This legislation is very new for us - the bill only passed last year - but has some great promise in this particular climate. The community land trust in particular has been able to continue building because of such high demand where other market-rate developments have come to a stop (including one right in the heart of downtown - a 4 story monstrosity that is half boarded up, half torn plastic rippling in the breeze - a sorry sight). That they create permanently affordable housing through the land trust model has certainly helped their case as it relates to the workforce housing objectives.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Howdy.....

From Western Arizona and a Colorado (West Slope) Native

I like the idea of a new workforce housing discussion thread, but I can't help but wonder if this developer could have provided a partial solution to your problems:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...to-seize-land/
    From another viewpoint:
    http://www.i2i.org/articles/IB-2006-E.pdf
    and another older take:
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...elluride_N.htm

"Compromise was rejected

After years of dispute, the two sides had reached a compromise early last year. Blue would build 22 houses on 64 acres. In exchange, he would provide sites for a new hospital and school and put 91% of the land under a conservation easement to protect it forever. The Town Council and San Miguel County Commission both endorsed it.

Telluride voters rejected the pact in an election in February 2006. In November, they voted to sell bonds to help fund the buyout
    ."

I need to mention that Ragonetti taught my Growth Management class at UCD in the mid 90's He's one of those fantastic adjunct faculty members I keep raving about
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from Dallas, TX!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 34
    Last post: 07 Oct 2007, 3:44 PM
  2. the liberal baby bust
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 50
    Last post: 10 Apr 2006, 12:39 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 20 Jan 2005, 12:08 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last post: 02 Jan 2003, 11:04 AM