Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Portland State University, community development undergraduate program

Registered
    Feb 2008

Portland State University, community development undergraduate program

Hi Everyone,

I've been a lurker around here for a while, but I believe this is my first actual post.
    I've been a student at Art Center College of Design for a while, having entered into the Illustration department. It lost its lustre for me quickly, and I became less and less interested in drawing and painting, which was my original focus, and more interested in design of objects and spaces. Over the past couple of years, I realized that I was far more into the union of sociology+anthropology+design, and had developed a particular interest in cities, and working+thinking on a macro-scale in general. "Urban Studies" and Planning type of stuff is really starting to seem like the perfect balance of all of my main interests. I'm a very "big picture" person in my thinking style.

Since I'm only about half-way through my program, and have absolutely no desire to continue studying in the program I am currently in, I've decided that transferring out might not be the worst idea for me (especially since I'm growing quite sick of LA, it's not a purely hate thing, its a hate/love thing)

Anyhow...so the point of all of this is >>>> I've just applied to PSU (still waiting to hear back), and am hoping to transfer into the undergraduate Community Development program within the School of Planning, with a minor in Sustainability. The major is the only undergraduate major within the school of planning, so I think a lot of the teachers in the grad program end up teaching some of the undergrad classes, which is good...because I've heard the graduate programs within this school are great.

So here's my question to any Cyburbians willing to share some info with me:

Have you gone through this program? What was your experience like? What did you like/not like about it? etc...
    I would love to hear about some personal experiences within this program.

Thanks a lot

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2007
    I graduated from PSU in '08 in the Community Development program. It does a terrific job of preparing you for a masters in planning. There is little to zero design emphasis (I guess there is a design studio, but it went poorly during my time in it, although it's not necessarily a bad course), so that is a consideration.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 15 Mar 2013, 4:39 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 Jun 2006, 8:46 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 18 Sep 2005, 10:43 PM
  4. Replies: 25
    Last post: 15 Dec 2004, 8:35 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 Apr 2004, 10:25 AM