Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Austin, Texas: Guadalupe Street / The Drag

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Austin, Texas: Guadalupe Street / The Drag

Pronounced "Guadaloop". From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Drag):

The Drag is the name for a portion of Guadalupe Street that runs along the western edge of the University of Texas campus in Austin, Texas.

The Drag began as a strip of shops which provided vital resources to UT students. Bookstores, restaurants, and clothing stores fulfilled student needs, the proximity to campus added to the popularity of the street.[1]At the start of each semester The Drag fills with students purchasing text books and school supplies.

Past and present buildings on the Drag include the Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center, Raul's, and the University Baptist Church.

The Drag is considered an important part of Austin's civic life, but in recent years many Austinites avoided it because of congestion. The area had fallen into disrepair, and some felt the area had become undesirable because of the presence of panhandlers.
    The Daniel Johnston "Hi How Are You" frog is an Austin landmark. It was just vandalized with the duct tape cross. There were protests when parking signs were placed in front of the frog, blocking its clear view.

Usually The Drag is more crowded, but these photos were taken on a Saturday afternoon during Summer break, and the temperature was hovering over 100°F/38°C.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2005
    Wow. This brings back memories. Its been 15 years since I lived in Austin. The only things I recognize from your pictures are Kerbey Lane and the Scientology building (can I interest you in a personality test?). I need to go back for a visit. I still have lots of friends there...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I see you got "Jeremiah the Innocent" in there! (that's the name of the "hi how are you?" mural.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Wow, these pictures actually make it look nice. The Drag is very aptly named, IMO.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I call this the "golden calf."

The Coop built this butt-ugly, sacreligious monstrosity on my former church's property (which the church rented to the Coop for parking prior to the construction of the new parking garage...the church itself is to the right of that photo). The Coop literally erected this thing when no one was looking and WITHOUT the church's permission (or any sort of permit). I was an elder at the church at the time and needless to say we were furious. But....we decided not to do anything as we didn't want to harm our relationship with the Coop. But mark my words: the cow will come down! (eventually)....the church fully owns the property and will, in the future, use it to expand...building a new education wing, mechanical building, and night shelters.

That's just one example of the force weilded by the "non-profit" Coop, which owns over half the real estate on the drag. They artificially raise rents on the properties they own, thereby driving out small business and making way for more corporate chains (Chipotle, Wachovia, Which Wich, Potbelly, CVS, Jamba Juice, etc.) The non-chain stores you see there are all in non-Coop owned properties.

Arg...

Thanks for resurecting my Coop hatred

(however, I LOVE Kismet Cafe...thanks for reminding me of that!)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by FueledByRamen View post
    But mark my words: the cow will come down! (eventually)....the church fully owns the property and will, in the future, use it to expand...building a new education wing, mechanical building, and night shelters.....

Thanks for resurecting my Coop hatred

(however, I LOVE Kismet Cafe...thanks for reminding me of that!)
    Hey no problem. I got some extra frequent flyer miles, I can get down there and if you have a gas can and a lighter I'll show you how to solve the problem Detroit-style!

That area has to be close to campus. It looks so much like Ann Arbor its scary. Just goes to show you that places that think they are unique really are not.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Austin, Texas (long)
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 Jun 2013, 9:05 PM
  2. Hello from Austin, Texas!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 11 Apr 2010, 6:43 PM
  3. Hello, from Austin Texas!
    Introduce Yourself