Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Destin FL - Baytowne Wharf

Registered
    Aug 2001

Destin FL - Baytowne Wharf

OK, I'm gonna try this again. ZG and I went over to Walton County over the weekend where she took me out to lunch. This is a mixed commercial use development--visitor accomodations, retail, and restaurants.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I love it and I hate it. This place has me confused. Very well kept, but sterile. Very nice, but predictible. Kinda reminds me of the many hours I spend in downtown Disney while my sis and brother in law shopped for useless nick-nacks or clearance rack Mickey t-shirts. All its missing are the big ads for ESPN and ABC.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 1998
    What Detroit said.
    Where are the people?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Probably still asleep! We were there early. The only people around were at the two breakfast places.

Would that be the only comment if this was Newport R.I. or Mendocino CA. I swear, nobody on Cyb likes anything in FL. Actually, I am convinced that almost every planner in American hates FL but 99% of them have never been here. And no, I"m not paranoid.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I didn't think it looked half bad. And I hate Florida!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I swear, nobody on Cyb likes anything in FL. Actually, I am convinced that almost every planner in American hates FL but 99% of them have never been here. And no, I"m not paranoid.
    I have been to FL four different times - Key West, Orlando, Naples, & Pensacola.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Hey ZG, it is fun to jerk your chain (even if unintentional). Much is going on there, a lot of cutting edge stuff for planners. Too bad you need to go through customs and have a visa to visit.

My father has lived in FL since the 60s.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    ....Where are the people?
    I don't take pictures of people because I don't care about people.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I've been to Orlando, Daytona Beach, Cocoa Beach, Fort Myers, Miami, and Tallahassee. I can say with some certainly that I don't mind visiting Florida, but I wouldn't want to live there, and I certainly wouldn't want to be a planner there. My boss worked for Cocoa, Florida for a few years before he got sick of the hurricanes, overcrowded schools for his kids, mostly uncontrolled growth, and sterility of the place. I know not all places in Florida are like that (except the hurricanes!) but I can see his point.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Cool....

Thanks for the pictures....

The place seems nice to me, having seen "other" parts of Florida before Maybe it's just because I haven't seen a real tree in months

That last building seemed a little too big for the scale seen in the other shots
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Actually, I am convinced that almost every planner in American hates FL but 99% of them have never been here. And no, I"m not paranoid.
    I dare anyone say they hate Florida after visiting St. Augustine or Key West!

Full Disclosure: Raised in Jacksonville, college and worked in Orlando, and went to grad school in Gainesville.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Actually, I am convinced that almost every planner in American hates FL but 99% of them have never been here. And no, I"m not paranoid.
    Not true, I loved Miami Beach. Thats where I had my drunken goodbye to booze festival.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Masswich View post
    I didn't think it looked half bad. And I hate Florida!
    Hey, you can't unilaterally hate a state! Boy, next time I drive thru the freaking backwoods to get to Orlando, I should take some pics. Or maybe not. Hmm... that's a toss-up.

We do have our good points. Here and there. Off the interstates and such.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Hey, you can't unilaterally hate a state! Boy, next time I drive thru the freaking backwoods to get to Orlando, I should take some pics. Or maybe not. Hmm... that's a toss-up.

We do have our good points. Here and there. Off the interstates and such.
    I have actually had some experiences in some very beautiful parts of Florida. Some of which I can remember (there was an incident with a manatee that I think is only legal in Masschusetts.)

Off topic but related to hating places: Lots of people hate Massachusetts for its independence. It was the cradle of the revolution, though, so what do you expect? (Bracing for flaming on Massachusetts....)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Well...since you bring it up.....

(Bracing for flaming on Massachusetts....)
    Massachusetts does have the highest smugness level of any state in the Country....maybe world It's a fact, look it up Massachusetts makes California smugness look like Alabama smugness
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Well, not every state can take credit for the independence of the US of A! If it weren't for Virginia and Massachusetts we'd all be drinking maple syrup and good beer and competing in the Commonwealth Games.

Although having been to California I disagree about the ranking. I've never had my place of residence openly mocked except while on the left coast. A little Minnesota nice might do us all some good.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Probably still asleep! We were there early. The only people around were at the two breakfast places.

Would that be the only comment if this was Newport R.I. or Mendocino CA. I swear, nobody on Cyb likes anything in FL. Actually, I am convinced that almost every planner in American hates FL but 99% of them have never been here. And no, I"m not paranoid.
    I like Florida. Especially Tallahassee and St. Petersburg. I also liked Ocala and Miami Beach, and probably would have enjoyed Gainesville and other parts of the state had I been there.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Well, not every state can take credit for the independence of the US of A! If it weren't for Virginia and Massachusetts we'd all be drinking maple syrup and good beer and competing in the Commonwealth Games.
    I think the good citizen's of Philly would disagree. And whats wrong with Maple Syrup and the Commonwealth games? Canada is a great place. It looks beautiful outside my office window.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I have actually had some experiences in some very beautiful parts of Florida. Some of which I can remember (there was an incident with a manatee that I think is only legal in Masschusetts.)

Off topic but related to hating places: Lots of people hate Massachusetts for its independence. It was the cradle of the revolution, though, so what do you expect? (Bracing for flaming on Massachusetts....)
    I spent 3 years in college in Mass and loved the state. What an experience when you've only lived in Florida! I was just a little disconcerted by people (not always from Mass) who thought there were no malls or stores in Florida... I got to go to Boston a lot, Amherst and Northampton were great little towns, Quabbin Reservoir for picnics, etc.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Did you go to one of the Five Colleges?

Massachusetts doesn't have state pride, as I'd describe it. Not like Texas, or even California. But there's ideology pride: absolute belief in the superiority of the progressive-left ideology that's pretty widespread among Massachusetts residents, particularly the college educated crowd in and around Boston. It's almost a fundamentalist religion in its own way and the state does have along history of hardlined ideology (Puritans, anyone?).

I spent 3 years in college in Mass and loved the state. What an experience when you've only lived in Florida! I was just a little disconcerted by people (not always from Mass) who thought there were no malls or stores in Florida... I got to go to Boston a lot, Amherst and Northampton were great little towns, Quabbin Reservoir for picnics, etc.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Looks neat, and seems very Florida-ish.

I noticed the dot-com-era school of "three point slogans" on three of those businesses.

Food. Fun. Firewater.
    Great Food. Great Music. Great Fun.
    Eat. Drink. Laugh.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by PennPlanner View post
    Did you go to one of the Five Colleges?

Massachusetts doesn't have state pride, as I'd describe it. Not like Texas, or even California. But there's ideology pride: absolute belief in the superiority of the progressive-left ideology that's pretty widespread among Massachusetts residents, particularly the college educated crowd in and around Boston. It's almost a fundamentalist religion in its own way and the state does have along history of hardlined ideology (Puritans, anyone?).
    You betcha, Mt Holyoke. But, after an upbringing in central FL. There's a culture clash! Not having grown up in Mass, I can't ascribe to the liberal leanings you are assigning to every college attendee at the 5 colleges... I'm still a middle of the roader...

Registered
    Oct 2005
    After finding this place on a map and seeing the golf course that surrounds it I immediately thought either Hilton Head, SC, more specifically Harbour Town, or Kaanapali, HI. It's nice but isn't authentic, it's almost force fed to you, really meant for tourists and the lucky few who can afford to live in such a place.

Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    It's nice but isn't authentic, it's almost force fed to you, really meant for tourists ...
    It is THE Florida destination for folks from the Louisville area during Spring Break and for the Snowbirds. Looks nice enough in the pics, but I've never been there myself.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    After finding this place on a map and seeing the golf course that surrounds it I immediately thought either Hilton Head, SC, more specifically Harbour Town, or Kaanapali, HI. It's nice but isn't authentic, it's almost force fed to you, really meant for tourists and the lucky few who can afford to live in such a place.
    Sure, it's like Disney at the beach, but it's still a nice place to visit for a morning or so. No, it's not "real". I agree, real is better. (But hey we're in such an isolated area here, it's nice to have a fun place to go on the weekend here and there... and even going that far is a stretch. In central FL we could've been to multiple "real" places in half the time...)

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Destin, FL.
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 10 May 2005, 7:42 PM