Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hunter over Columbia or NYU and other schools?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2009

Hunter over Columbia or NYU and other schools?

has anyone chosen to go to Hunter over Columbia or NYU for MUP??
    I've read positive things about MUP at Hunter..and I know that Hunter is a lot cheaper....are there huge differences in terms of the education you receive and available resources?

i'm starting at hunter monday and from what i've heard hunter is the preferred choice for practical application of urban planning knowledge- NYU for policy and is heavier on the affairs side and Columbia for future academic preparation i.e the ph. d

hope this helps- hunter's cost is vital in my opinion the most bang for your buck- cant beat that...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2009

thanks!

congrats on Hunter!

I'm planning to apply to hunter for next fall semester. Would it be okay to PM you to ask about applying there?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2007
    Quote Originally posted by dpileofashes View post
    i'm starting at hunter monday and from what i've heard hunter is the preferred choice for practical application of urban planning knowledge- NYU for policy and is heavier on the affairs side and Columbia for future academic preparation i.e the ph. d

hope this helps- hunter's cost is vital in my opinion the most bang for your buck- cant beat that...
    None are as good as Rutgers if you're looking for practical application.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2009

better for jobs?

Would it be better for getting a job since hunter's program is more practical?

Any thoughts on Pratt? No one has mentioned it yet. I've applied there for Spring 2010, also NYU.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2009

recommendation

Does anyone know how many recommendations you need to apply for MUP at NYU? I couldn't find this information on their website.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by LStandke View post
    Any thoughts on Pratt? No one has mentioned it yet. I've applied there for Spring 2010, also NYU.
    Pratt is practical with many studios, and has an eye towards design and community development.

krb...only two recommendations are required for NYU Wagner MUP. Once you decide to apply to this school you can get more information by creating an account and beginning the online application.

Quote Originally posted by krbxtigerz View post
    Would it be better for getting a job since hunter's program is more practical?
    Based on my experience speaking with alums- nearly all grads got jobs (pre-recession) 85-90% public sector since hunter has some of the absolute best connections with city and nonprofit agencies and 10-15% private.

CUNY schools are preparing grads for City jobs hence the name- i know people who only have a BA in Urban Studies from hunter who were offered decent paying gigs post grad- all classes immediately inundate you with relevant and practical knowledge aka all my course projects this semester (my 1st) involve direct contact and communication with city agencies

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2009

how about NYU and Columbia?

Based on my experience speaking with alums- nearly all grads got jobs (pre-recession) 85-90% public sector since hunter has some of the absolute best connections with city and nonprofit agencies and 10-15% private.

CUNY schools are preparing grads for City jobs hence the name- i know people who only have a BA in Urban Studies from hunter who were offered decent paying gigs post grad- all classes immediately inundate you with relevant and practical knowledge aka all my course projects this semester (my 1st) involve direct contact and communication with city agencies

How about NYU and Columbia grads?

Quote Originally posted by krbxtigerz View post
    How about NYU and Columbia grads?
    I don't know specifically, but my friend in NYUs MUP seems to be leaning towards private since she has some loans to pay off plus the private connection at NYU seems to be much more apparent especially jobs with consulting firms and think tanks-

Columbia no clue, but the chair/commissioner of the NYC Department of City Planning is a Columbia Grad...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hunter College
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 18 Jan 2012, 6:35 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 Nov 2011, 1:24 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 03 Feb 2010, 12:47 PM
  4. Hunter, Columbia or NYU?
    Student Commons