Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Want an undergraduate planning degree

Registered
    Jun 2009

Want an undergraduate planning degree

I am interested in Urban/City planning and need help deciphering where I should start. I live in OK and the universities are somewhat limited in having any degree plan with an emphasis in planning. Also, is drafting and/or environmental management of any use in this line of work? Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I can't help much with colleges in the Midwest, I went to Arizona State for my planning degree. Not a bad program. I can tell you the drafting part has been no help to me. Before I was a planner I did professional drafting for five years. I found out quick that if you tell someone you know autoCAD, that's all you'll be doing. I now work for a city and never touch drafting programs except to review a plan. I do find my drafting backgorund helpful in understanding building codes, reading plans, and sketching (I just don't let out my full expertise at it anymore). The environmental knowledge does sound helpful to planning, but I know next to nothing on environmental problems.

Registered
    Apr 2008
    Missouri State in Springfield has a PAB accredited undergrad program. I graduated from the program. And it's a reasonably short drive from the Tulsa area. I know at least one grad in your neck of the woods I could put you in touch with.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by wdevine View post
    I am interested in Urban/City planning and need help deciphering where I should start. I live in OK and the universities are somewhat limited in having any degree plan with an emphasis in planning. Also, is drafting and/or environmental management of any use in this line of work? Any help would be gratefully appreciated!
    Iowa State has an undergrad planning program, although it's more focused on land use and theory than big city projects but it helps that you'll have a planning degree without "having" to go to graduate school.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Thanks to all of you!! And any contacts locally would be helpful. Let me know if you want an email address.

Registered
    Apr 2008
    Send me a private message with your email address and I'll be glad to touch base with you.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Umm...not sure how to do that?
    Not off to a good start am I? Actually, my time has been taken up with enrolling in school. So I gues it defeats the purpose somewhat!!
    Thank you though!!

Registered
    Sep 2006
    UC San Diego has a small but pretty good planning program. I did my undergrad there, and now I'm getting my masters in planning at Michigan, and I feel very well prepared.

usp.ucsd.edu

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 04 Dec 2012, 7:59 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 03 Dec 2012, 2:08 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 13 May 2010, 2:43 PM
  4. Undergraduate Degree and Career Prospects
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2