Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Performance criteria for green infrastructure

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Performance criteria for green infrastructure

hey folks,

I'm working on developing a competitive process to distribute funds for an infrastructure grant (street, drainage, water & wastewater facilities). We want to give bonus points for green practices with these projects. I'm pretty well-versed in green design when it comes to a building envelope, but am not sure where to start with infrastructure. I know green/sustainable/low-impact practices when I see them, but I need these criteria to be objective, verifiable and measurable. Basically, I'm looking for green performance measures for infrastructure. At the same time, I need to be able to review these applications relatively quickly. The only things that have come to mind so far are the following:

infrastructure does not result in a net increase in impervious cover from existing conditions.

at least ___% of the products used contain post-consumer products (i.e. recycled plastic in PVC, use of fly-ash or recycled plastic in concrete, recycled asphalt, etc.) I'm looking at some of the info in the LEED-ND program GCT Credit 17 for percentages, etc.

project does not disturb previously undisturbed ground

project involves repair/reconstruction of existing facilities rather than new greenfield projects

project does not involve work in a floodplain

project does not disturb areas with greater than 15% slope.

I'm thinking about borrowing a little from the LEED-ND GCT Credits 18 & 19 regarding waste management on site.

Some types of projects we expect to see are:
    emergency generators for water/sewer pumping facilities and treatment plants
    reconstruction of damaged streets
    reconstruction/expansion/new construction of drainage facilities to address flooding during a disaster
    reconstruction/expansion of street facilities damaged during a disaster

Any other ideas? Am I way off-track?

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2007
    SR, I am in a sort of similar situation to you, but I am reviewing this Sustainable Development Plan for 1000 acres in my fair town, they are asking for incentives and rebates for green/sustainable practices during the development of the infrastructure and the buildings and development patterns. Its going to be a great project, hopefully. I have a tough time finding anything like you are describing in one place or in a comprehensive document, except for LEED-ND, but even that is flawed IMHO. Anyways in my research I found this database website that links to states/counties/cities different 'renewables and efficiency' polices and plans...most comprehesives thing I could find. Best of Luck

http://www.dsireusa.org/
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the link to DSIRE. Helpful

If there is transit available or if reasonable to expect a transit system in the near term, you could add transit access and amenities to the list. For street reconstruction,a transit shelter (or reserved space for one) every other block. Under the right conditions, consider pervious pavement. If the water table is relatively low and there is little chance of sending contaminated watwer to the groundwater (no major use of CaCl for ice control, etc) the pervious pavement could be agood thing with recharge and less drainage area. The NYC Street Design Manual has some info. Just Google NYCDOT

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    hey folks,

Any other ideas? Am I way off-track?
    You are on the cutting edge my friend...that's why its so difficult to find stuff and there are not many standards out there for that reason.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    You are on the cutting edge my friend...that's why its so difficult to find stuff and there are not many standards out there for that reason.
    Here's what I've ended-up with:

A maximum cap of 75 Points may be awarded under Part C.

1. Location Characteristics: Maximum of 10 Points
    The project does not involve work in the 100-year floodplain (Zones A, FW and V on Flood Insurance Rate Maps published by FEMA). 7 points

The project does not involve work that will disturb previously undisturbed areas with slope gradients greater than or equal to 15 percent 3 points

Documentation: Copy of Flood Insurance Rate Map indicating the location of the project relative to the 100-year floodplain and/or a map showing contour lines indicating the percent of slope, with the percent slope calculation certified by an engineer. To calculate slope gradient, draw a straight line perpendicular to the contours of the slope, and measure its length, before converting it into feet using the scale on the map. In order to then calculate the percentage of the slope, take the elevation change in feet and divide it by the distance of the line you have drawn on the map, and multiply this figure by 100 to obtain the percentage value relative to the slope of the hill.
    2. Land Disturbance Activities: Maximum of 10 Points
    The project does not disturb previously undisturbed ground (i.e. utility lines being replaced in the same location versus being relocated, street reconstruction that does not include relocation or expansion of the improved area, etc.). 5 points

The project does not result in an increase in impervious cover. 5 points

Documentation: Engineer’s Certification of compliance on document stating project activities will take place in areas previously disturbed and/or stating the percentage of impervious cover before and after the project.
    3. Systems Hardening: Maximum of 20 Points
    Hardening efforts, such as installation of emergency generators or elevating critical facilities, are considered categorical efforts to achieve sustainability goals.
    The project involves installation, repair or replacement of generators to provide emergency electrical service to utilities or public facilities. 10 points

The project involves hardening of infrastructure to remove it from the 100-year floodplain (Zones A, FW and V on Flood Insurance Rate Maps published by FEMA) or elevate it above the base flood elevation for the floodplain, and/or withstand sustained winds of 130 mph. 10 points

Documentation: Application project description and/or a copy of Flood Insurance Rate Map indicating the location of the project relative to the 100-year floodplain
    4. Use of Post-Consumer (Recycled/Reused) Products: Maximum of 50 Points
    For projects involving surface paving, including restoring surfaces associated with utilities located beneath the surface, only. No points may be awarded from the table below if surface paving is not involved.

If aggregate base or aggregate sub-base are used; they are at least 90% by volume recycled aggregate materials such as crushed portland cement concrete and asphalt concrete. 5 points

If asphalt base is used, it is a minimum 15% by volume recycled asphalt pavement. 5 points

If asphalt concrete pavement is used, it meets one of the following characteristics:
    Contains a minimum 15% by volume recycled asphalt pavement, OR
    Contains a minimum 75% by volume rubberized asphalt concrete from crumb rubber from scrap tires (crumb rubber modifier), OR
    Contains a minimum of 5% (total weight) of pre-consumer or post-consumer asphalt roofing shingles.
    5 points

If any Portland cement concrete pavement is used, it contains each of the following characteristics:
    Contains recycled mineral admixtures (such as coal fly ash, ground granulated blast furnace slag, rice hull ash, silica fume, or other pozzolanic industrial byproduct) to reduce by at least 25% the concrete mix’s typical Portland cement content, AND
    Contains a minimum of 10% by volume reclaimed concrete material aggregate.
    5 points

For projects involving utility infrastructure lines (water, wastewater, drainage) only.

No points may be awarded from the table below if utility line infrastructure is not involved.

If any aggregate base and aggregate sub-base is used, it is at least 90% by volume recycled aggregate materials such as crushed portland cement concrete and asphalt concrete. 5 points

If any asphalt based is used, it is a minimum 15% by volume recycled asphalt pavement. 5 points

If underground infrastructure lines are involved, the project uses trenchless technology rather than open-surface replacement.5 points

For surface utilities (i.e. drainage), excluding culverts under roads, water permeable surfaces are used (i.e. grassy swells). 5 points

Excluding culverts, if any asphalt concrete pavement is used, it meets one of the following characteristics:
    Contains a minimum 15% by volume recycled asphalt pavement, OR
    Contains a minimum 75% by volume rubberized asphalt concrete from crumb rubber from scrap tires (crumb rubber modifier), OR
    Contains a minimum of 5% (total weight) of pre-consumer or post-consumer asphalt roofing shingles.
    5 points
    Any culverts, pipes or conduit used in the project meet one of the following characteristics:
    Any Portland cement concrete used contains recycled mineral admixtures (such as coal fly ash, ground granulated blast furnace slag, rice hull ash, silica fume, or other pozzolanic industrial byproduct) to reduce by at least 25% the concrete mix’s typical Portland cement content; OR
    Any Steel, HDPE, PVC and copper pipe or conduit contains a minimum of 50% recycled/post-consumer content by volume.
    5 points
    Documentation: Engineer’s Certification that materials used in creating the project budget included with the application include materials meeting the characteristics listed.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for sharing! Did you use any existing system or document to model yours after or did you come up with that yourself? When we have something approved i'll share and keep updating this thread.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    Thanks for sharing! Did you use any existing system or document to model yours after or did you come up with that yourself? When we have something approved i'll share and keep updating this thread.
    I borrowed the percentages of post-consumer content in materials from the short section in the LEED-ND pilot program for infrastructure and a little from my head from working disaster recovery and low-impact design. I had some other ideas, but felt that they wouldn't work well for scoring a massive amount of grant applications.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 23 Feb 2013, 10:47 AM
  2. Green infrastructure
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 24 Apr 2012, 11:45 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Oct 2011, 12:10 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 16 May 2006, 12:05 PM