Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Parcels and subdivision

Registered
    Mar 2005

Parcels and subdivision

How do deal with parcels versus lots, irregular tracts, tax lots in your jurisdictions?

Do you treat ownership parcel lines as lot lines, or are they more like invisible lines and you measure setbacks, etc. from lot lines.

How do all of these concepts work together in your codes?

I am having a huge headache in my jurisdiction right now because parcels and lots, subdivision and zoning is not all on the same page.

Thanks!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Definitions from our Subdivision Ordinance:
    "Lot" means the tract of land within a subdivision marked by the subdivider on the plat as a numbered, lettered, or other identified tract of land to be offered for sale, dedication, or development, which is an identifiable parcel of land having frontage on a public street, or right-of-way, or acceptable easements.

"Parcelization" means a division of land into lots two or more in number, each lot with area greater than five acres, and not involving any new street or other means of access.
    From our Parcelization Proceedure Guide:
    To comply with these requirements, the original parcel must be at least 10 acres, and each proposed lot, including the remainder of the parent parcel, must be at least 5 acres.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Well, our state statutes (and therefore our local codes) allow existing tax parcels (generally in existence prior to 1970) to be effectively considered "buildable lots" For example, a parcel that was simply tax parceled from a larger lot (ie a giant old farm, etc.) and is improved can continue to be a buildable "lot" provided it meets all the minimum lot area/width and other bulk regs.

Our definition of lot includes both tax parcels and platted lots.

But new tax divisions/parcels cannot be considered buildable on their own. We would require a formal subdivision.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    My problem is that our state statute allows parcelization and our deeds will accept ANYTHING even if it is essentially an illegal subdivision. They don't give a rat's behind whether or not they're creating a nightmare.

So I have pieces of land in parcels without being a "lot" and I have lots out there that do not follow parcel lines. I get people who want to divide ownership on lots that are larger than ten acres which by state statute is not a "subdivision" and I cannot require them to come into my domain.

How in the heck am I supposed to measure setbacks, etc? What would you do? If I treat lot lines and parcel lines the same I will be looking at illegal subdivisions and potential nightmares. It's such a mess.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Finding the cost of serving parcels
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 28 Nov 2011, 1:53 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 28 Apr 2010, 2:37 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 01 Nov 2006, 4:35 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Sep 2003, 6:37 PM