Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Degree titles

Registered
    Jun 2009

Degree titles

I feel like this is a silly question, but one that I wonder about none-the less.

With all the different planning titles for academic programs (Master of Urban Planning, Master of Community and Regional Planning, Master of City and Regional Planning etc etc) does it really matter which one you receive? Would an interviewer in a large city really care that your programs title is "Community and Regional Planning", as opposed to one of the others?

I feel like the actual program and what you studied and worked with during school is what future employers will look at. Am I correct, or does it really matter which acronym accompanies your Masters degree?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Well.....

When I want a job as a rural planner, having a Master of Urban and Regional Planning degree may raise some rural eyebrows On the other hand when I want to work for an urban city it is expected I wouldn't worry about it much
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I don't think it really matters at all. However, some schools offer the degree of Master of Science in Community and Regional Planning (MSCRP). In general, the "MS" part implies a certain level of technical knowledge that isn't present in a Master of Arts degree and therefore might be important to someone down the road. Probably not though.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    I don't think it matters at all. MCP, MCRP, MSCP, MACRP whatever. As a hiring manager, I look at your degree to make sure you have a Masters (if that is required for the job - which most in my Department are). I think it comes down to your preference for an orange, a tangering, or a grapefruit. They are all citrus.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Dec 2008
    ...Back to the never-ending discussion about grad school for just one minute

I've been reading from several posters who are upset that their professional life isn't going the way they expected from their Master's program. Assuming you still need to pay your dues doing entry-level work such as permit approval, letters, etc., why the emphasis on the Master's portion so much? I don't think I'll ever understand. (around here not too many people have master's - in fact the only people I knew who went to grad school couldn't find jobs right after school)

I know, I know... we'll never come to a conclusion.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I think it comes down to your preference for an orange, a tangering, or a grapefruit. They are all citrus.
    Haha, that's a good way of putting it, thank you for that input and for everyone else's thoughts.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Nope. Don't matter. What courses you took and what you specialize in does, but the name of the degree don't.

Thankfully. I have the dumbest iteration of degree title- Masters of Arts in Planning. I like the abbreviation (M.Plan.) because it cuts to the point. But I always liked the MCP or MUP name better.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Progression of titles
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 Jul 2009, 5:21 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 May 2009, 6:29 PM
  3. (un)Attractive Job Titles
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 24 Sep 2004, 10:45 AM