Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Things to do in North Carolina?

Registered
    Mar 2006

Things to do in North Carolina?

I'm visiting my friend in Greensboro in a couple of weeks. I've never been to North Carolina before and shes told me that if I find some things online that I'd like to do, places to go, to just let her know. We don't wanna take the time to drive to the coast, but she said anything in Charlotte, Durham or Raleigh would be doable.

I like unusual shops, live entertainment, and stuff like that. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Old Salem. Real close to Greensboro.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Well I can speak for the Raleigh-Durham area...

Durham, Duke University is cool to check out and the Duke Gardens are lovely this time of year. Also if the Durham Bulls are in town, the American Tobacco Campus is fun for a game and dinner at Tyler's Taproom. Check out the Durham Perfoming Arts Center for any shows. Also the Southpointe Mall is a worth-while shopping area.

Raleigh-personal faves, Umstead State Park, beautiful oasis of forest in the middle of Raleigh for hiking. The state capital is interesting and there are several museums within walking distance. The places to go out in Raleigh are all on Glenwood Ave. and the warehouse district near dowtown. As for shopping I love Cameron Village near NCSU.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I agree - Old Salem. When are you going? I'm going to pick up my daughter from school in southeastern NC on May 1, but may spend a couple of days sight-seeing on the 29th and 30th. You're going to love it there!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I lived 10 years in GSO and went to Uni there so here is my input. In all honesty unless your into lighthouses the long drive from GSO is just not worth the drive for a quick weekend to see the beach.

There is some interesting architecture on the various college campuses in town as well as the older neighborhoods around downtown. Get out on foot and explore.

There are a couple of lovely big revolutionary war parks that are wonderful to walk through any time of year-google Battle of Guilford Courthouse. The City itself offers a surprisingly wide variety of city parks many of which are worth a visit as well.

The NC Zoo in Asheboro (about 30 min south of GSO) is also one of the best zoos I have ever been to, very park like with lots of open comfortable spaces both for people and the animals. Very nice for a picnicking with the cooler spring weather.

Old Salem as others have said is also quite fun to explore

Linville Falls in the mountains is just less than 2 hour drive if I recall and offers sweeping views and moderate hikes. Take the Blue Ridge Parkway and enjoy!

Chapel Hill is a fun funky college town

If you love hotdogs go to Yum-Yums on Spring Garden Street in GSO its right on the edge of the campus of UNCG so offers a fun sit outside and enjoy the people for very cheap.

Hope this helps
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Contra dancing?

The Triangle has an active community. http://www.contracorners.net/contra/links/dancemap.html

I've visited Asheville, it's pretty neat. A friend from Detroit planned to move there...

HTH

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I used to live in NC by the coast and absolutely loved it. IMO, it's the most un-spoiled coastline along the Atlantic. There are no where near the crowds that you will find in Florida or SC. But since you are not going to the coast...

Might I suggest checking out the Cats Cradle in Carrboro for some live music. Not the best for good sound but they manage to pull in some great local and national artists especially for such a small venue.

And I'll second beach_bum's suggestion of visiting the Duke Gardens.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Spend a couple of days doing Great Smoky Mountains NP (and even though it is on the Tennessee side of the park, include a drive to Cade's Cove!) and the Blue Ridge Parkway - you'll be glad that you did!

Mike

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I used to live in NC by the coast and absolutely loved it. IMO, it's the most un-spoiled coastline along the Atlantic. There are no where near the crowds that you will find in Florida or SC. But since you are not going to the coast...

Might I suggest checking out the Cats Cradle in Carrboro for some live music. Not the best for good sound but they manage to pull in some great local and national artists especially for such a small venue.

And I'll second beach_bum's suggestion of visiting the Duke Gardens.
    I spent four years working part time jobs as a college student so that I could see shows at Cat's Cradle. It's a fun scene. And more recently, I spent two years living in Wilmington. It's not a bad drive on I-40 and the beaches in the area are really nice - no huge crowds, minimal tacky beach development (in some areas, none at all - and by tacky beach development, I mean Ripley's Believe It or Not, etc.).

Even though I'm not a Duke fan, I'll third Duke Gardens. Downtown Durham has gotten some great new stuff, too - good restaurants, etc. And I've always loved an afternoon Durham Bulls game.

There are a few little towns south of Durham/Chapel Hill that are known for pottery....Seagrove? I think that's the name of one of them, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

And Asheville is a wonderful town. Worth the drive.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I live about 1 1/2 hours west of Greensboro and know a few things in the area so here's my take:

G'boro - Woolworths downtown where a famous sit-in occurred during the civil rights movement; Natty Greene's Pub downtown; Greensboro Grasshoppers (A Baseball) play in their newish downtown ballpark.

W/S - Old Salem is a very good 17th century living museum and worth seeing; W/S Warthogs (A Baseball); Foothills Brewery in downtown is great (a have a pint of CNDouble IPA)

beach bum filled you in on Raleigh, Durham & Chapel Hill and seriuosly whether you're a fan of ACC or not, its worth walking through the Duke Botanical Gardens, Duke Chapel, then drive 8 miles and walk thru UNC Chapel Hill's campus (buy a national championship t-shirt) and to go Top of the Hill brewery at the corner of Franklin and Columbia. Brightleaf Square in d'town Durham where they turned several old tobacco buildings into a shopping area.

CLT - d'town continues to see new things being built, National Whitewater Center just west of town (you can rent a raft or just have lunch - cool place)

Another great drive is go west on US421 towards Boone & Blowing Rock, you can hit the Blue Ridge Parkway there and very close is Linville Falls, Moses Cone Estate, Linn Cove Viaduct, Grandfather Mountain, and other cool places to view the mountains or take a hike (long or short).

You probably are not going to want to look at development like a plaaning geek (which we are) but if you are let me know.

If you'd like, PM me on any specifics and have a great time.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2006
    No need to speak more of Old Salem. If you are in the Winston area stop by the Renyolds house. ITs the founder of RJR's old mansion. If you like college campuses Wake Forest, Duke and UNC Chapel Hill are all stunning and worth the walk. State is okay but not worth the trip.

If you like pork then you are in the right state. Head down to Lexington...the town sucks but you need to go to Lexington BBQ Highway 29-70 South, Lexington, NC or Speedy's BBQ (Hwy 8, 3 miles north of the 64-8 intersection, north of Lexington) for the best Western Carolina Style BBQ in the state. Eastern style is better IMO. Most places in the triangle get it right but I cannot think of a good place off hand. There are some medicore wineries. If you are down in Lexington then you can stop by the Childress Winery but only if you like sweet white table wine.

Try sweet Tea if you have not...and if you like fastfood then no trip to the Carolina's is complete without a stop at Bo-jangles.

Ashville is a great day trip. Check out the Biltmore and the downtown area.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    No need to speak more of Old Salem. If you are in the Winston area stop by the Renyolds house. ITs the founder of RJR's old mansion. If you like college campuses Wake Forest, Duke and UNC Chapel Hill are all stunning and worth the walk. State is okay but not worth the trip.

If you like pork then you are in the right state. Head down to Lexington...the town sucks but you need to go to Lexington BBQ Highway 29-70 South, Lexington, NC or Speedy's BBQ (Hwy 8, 3 miles north of the 64-8 intersection, north of Lexington) for the best Western Carolina Style BBQ in the state. Eastern style is better IMO. Most places in the triangle get it right but I cannot think of a good place off hand. There are some medicore wineries. If you are down in Lexington then you can stop by the Childress Winery but only if you like sweet white table wine.

Try sweet Tea if you have not...and if you like fastfood then no trip to the Carolina's is complete without a stop at Bo-jangles.

Ashville is a great day trip. Check out the Biltmore and the downtown area.

If your headed to Charlotte, check out the Plaza Midwood and NoDa neighborhoods. Eat at the Penguin for lunch or Macs Speed Shop - both are funky and fun to spend a few hours. Also if you have a spirit for adventure I highly recommend the national whitewater center. It is a very neat experience that you cant get many other places.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I second ALL of Beach Bum's comments and would add:

Chapel Hill-Carrboro: walk down Franklin Street from UNC to the Weaver Street Market (the ultimate hippie family hangout) and back again. There are plenty of interesting eateries and music clubs along the way.

Raleigh: Rent a bike and ride the Capital Greenway, one of the best greenway systems in the Unites States. It connects Crabtree Valley Mall, Umstead State Park, NC State U, Marion College, NC Art Museum, etc. Awesome ride!

Winston-Salem: Check out 5th Street in Winston-Salem for a pretty cool nightlife scene. West End Boulevard near Haynes Park is one of the coolest streets I have ever seen. It reminded me of Seattle.

Greensboro: Stamey's BBQ on Battleground Avenue. Everyone knows each other and the food is incredible!

You should really come down to Wilmington. It's an easy 3 hour drive from G-boro. I'll show you around!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Thanks for the tummy growl reminder jmello I am now craving some peach cobbler from Stamey's. I lived just a couple miles from there for many years and still have to go "home" for some real bar-b-q about once a year.

twitch twitch
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Why North Carolina is going to hell
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 17 Sep 2013, 10:19 AM
  2. Hi from North Carolina
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 08 Dec 2010, 11:56 AM
  3. Hello from North Carolina
    Introduce Yourself