Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: about wine glasses (for RJ)

Registered
    Feb 2003

about wine glasses (for RJ)

http://freshfromflorida.wordpress.co...for-me-please/

well, does it matter? I am not sure it does.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Jan 2008
    It does matter. Well, maybe not for Ripple or Boones Farm (do they even make that stuff I used to drink back in the "Hippie" days?), but for even a "vin ordinare" it does.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    MD 20/20 would be improved by serving it in a closed container. Now Annie Green Springs, that was a classic label...
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2003

Testing, 1, 2, 3...

"Take the test. Get one of your cheaper clunky glasses and one of your better quality, thin and light glasses with a smooth lip. Put equal amounts of the same wine in the glasses and taste. Repeat as often as necessary."

I will test it out like they say to do and get back with yall
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I always insist the wine bottle is put in a clean paper bag with no logos. I don't want to discuss brand names or favorite stores while I am hanging out with the gutter rats. Screw top bottles, of course. I don't want to carry a corkscrew with me while I'm down in the Tenderloin.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2004

YES!

Decree:

Large Brandy Sniffers will be the only glass allowed from today on.....and they must be filled to the brim with wine

http://www.oddityinc.com/customer_st...ages/75265.jpg
    Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Woodville Road Wine Toss (Or Was It Urine?)

For the love of gawd, I cannot remember what I had for lunch.....but I can clearly recall being a passenger in a car that was traveling west on Woodville Road in about 1967 (Toledo inner-ring suburb of Oregon, OH) and drinking Meier's Pink Catawba wine, straight from the bottle. We did have paper cups.....but they were for urine.

Funny.....understanding that youthful indiscretions have no logical boundaries, I am not ashamed to admit the above story.

Hemingway I ain't.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Richi View post
    It does matter. Well, maybe not for Ripple or Boones Farm (do they even make that stuff I used to drink back in the "Hippie" days?), but for even a "vin ordinare" it does.
    Yes and no. I used to own a half-dozen Riedel's. Very nice glasses with a great feel and balance. I only used them when I opened good bottles. In my view, it enhanced the experience. The glasses are expensive and very fragile. Here's the style I owned that are long since gone.

https://glassware.riedel.com/c-868-v...lot-wine-glass

On the other hand, I don't think the glass, even if the edge looks like the top of a jelly jar, does much to enhance or alter the flavor of an everyday wine.

I still have several "nice" glasses we use when opening an older and, hopefully, better bottle from the cellar.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Large Brandy Sniffers will be the only glass allowed from today on.....and they must be filled to the brim with wine
    [ahem]...SNIFTER...[/ahem]
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Sadly I have every correct glass for wine, even a Savoy glass for port - I love a good port. What I can tell most is that some wines just taste better than others and it doesn't matter what glass you use.

And the trick to Boones, is not to consider it wine, it's more of a fermented fruit juice. Then I can't get nabbed by the wine police. The only embarrasing part is paying for it in the checkout line.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    I think good wine glasses make a difference -- as does choosing the right wine glass for the type of wine you're drinking. It goes back to the whole nose/taste-bud connection and where your nose falls as you drink the wine.

The biggest improvement in wine, IMHO, is decanting the wine into a "decanter". Good wine (red wine) tastes dramatically different if it is allowed to air a bit. They sell the Reidel brand at Target, so it's easy to pick up a decanter and glasses appropriate to the type of wine that you want to drink. There's even a funky graphic on the display that shows you what glass to pick for each type of wine.

Boones Farm tastes best freezing cold, out of the bottle -- or, as in my high school days - out of the two-liter bottle. And if it embarrasses you to purchase Boone's Farm, there are two or three other brands, packaged and marketed for women, that are in every supermarket. These are not embarrassing to buy and they barely taste like wine!!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I always insist the wine bottle is put in a clean paper bag with no logos. I don't want to discuss brand names or favorite stores while I am hanging out with the gutter rats. Screw top bottles, of course. I don't want to carry a corkscrew with me while I'm down in the Tenderloin.
    I'm thinking there's a market for a wine that comes with the brown bag as the label. Any potential investors? Quality control should not be an issue. There are more connoissewers than connoisseurs out there.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2004

Square.....

Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    [ahem]...SNIFTER...[/ahem]
    Jee Wiz, I'm not one of them thar liquor snobs.....

You might be a drunk if.....
    You know the correct name and spelling for each type of serving glass

We could use wine floots
    Skilled Adoxographer

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by southsideamy View post
    ....The biggest improvement in wine, IMHO, is decanting the wine into a "decanter". Good wine (red wine) tastes dramatically different if it is allowed to air a bit. They sell the Reidel brand at Target, so it's easy to pick up a decanter and glasses .....
    If the wine has been filtered and fined, decanting is overrated, IMHO. Reidel at Target? I'm on the hunt.
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    ....There are more connoissewers than connoisseurs out there.
    There was this radio personality in San Francisco on KNBR by the name of Mike Clary (sp?). His partner was Bob Dill. Anyway, Clary used to go into character as a wine expert by the name of Connie Sewer. It was funny sometimes.

OK, I guess you had to hear it.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    my fav glass was a freebie I got from KJ when in Cali doing a vineyard tour. I dont remember the wineries using special glasses (but that might be due to the wine itself) there is really nothing special about this glass, besides the logo.

Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Decree:

This reminds me of my GREs: Brandy is to snifter as:

I assume the answer was beer is to stein.

And they say these tests aren't culturally biased.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 41
    Last post: 26 Oct 2012, 4:33 PM
  2. I might need glasses?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 51
    Last post: 28 Apr 2005, 10:12 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last post: 23 Apr 2005, 2:18 AM
  4. Wine Making
    Friday Afternoon Club