Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Loachapoka, AL

Registered
    Aug 2008

Loachapoka, AL

After enjoying all the threads by teofilo and Dan, I've decided to dig out my camera and get back into photographing small-town Alabama. I decided to start with Loachapoka, AL, chiefly because it's only five miles from where I attend university.

From Wikipedia:

Loachapoka was a Creek Indian town for some decades prior to white settlement. In the last census prior to the Native removal to Oklahoma, Loachapoka was found to have a population of 564. Upon settlement, Loachapoka—temporarily renamed Ball's Fork—became the regional trade center, a position that was reinforced in 1845 when it became the eastern-most point on the railroad to Montgomery. Loachapoka's influence peaked in the early 1870s, when her population reached nearly 1,300. Within a few years, a collapse of trade due to the Panic of 1873 and additional rail lines in the area sent Loachapoka into economic decline. Loachapoka roughly stabilized as a small farming community by the mid-1900s, and by the early 2000s had become a small-town suburb of Auburn.

Loachapoka is home to the annual Syrup Sopping Day. A historical fair and celebration of making syrup in traditional methods from sorghum and ribbon cane, Syrup Sopping Day attracts more than 20,000 people to Loachapoka annually.

The Lee County Historical Society Museum is located in an 1845 general store in the Loachapoka historic district. Nearby, The Rattling Gourd Gallery exhibits regional art and craft workmanship.

As you can see, there's not much to a town of 150 people, but the music cafe (the indoor shot) actually attracts quite a crowd from Montgomery and Auburn on Thursdays and Fridays. Couple that with their annual Syrup Sopping Festival, they make good use of their quaint town.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    The street/alley that's a one-way dead end is priceless!

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    The street/alley that's a one-way dead end is priceless!
    I think the moderators may have found a new image meme to use when a thread turns into a train wreck.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the pictures ah! Reminds me of many small southern towns I was used to growing up in the Carolinas. I also love the one way/dead end picture.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Great pictures. Glad to hear my posts have been an inspiration.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Where are the people?
    I don't do anything right.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Where are the people?
    A new automatic post response to any community photo gallery AIB mike gurnee.
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showp...96&postcount=3
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    A new automatic post response to any community photo gallery AIB mike gurnee.
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showp...96&postcount=3
    Off-topic:
    Look, I'm the one that always gets crapped on for not showing pictures of peoples!!
    I don't do anything right.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmmm.....

I wonder what South Alabama Green Chicken tastes like??
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Looks like the kind of place you would find a good old-fashioned hoedown. Nice pics!

+ Reply to thread