Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Far from professional

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2009

Far from professional

My interest in planning is as a town resident concerned with ongoing sustainability issues and sprawl.

These are not idle or trite concerns. The Regional Planning Commission for this area of Wisconsin USA has shown that this area has the worst (lowest) population density for a peer-sized area in the State.

Soon (next week) there will be an open to the public workshop on land use which I intend to attend. This workshop is touted to be a "twenty thousand foot view" with little if any attention to specific developments or abandoned/for sale eyesores.

I do not know what the community participation will be but I expect it to be very light.

Regards sustainability, I prefer the definition used by architects that
    sustainability is "what you have left after the lights go out." This means self sufficiency, ownership of power producing systems (which used to be the norm) and the like.

Registered
    May 2005
    If other residents share your concerns, I would encourage you to mobilize a larger group to attend this meeting and voice your concerns. You would be surprised how much that can have an impact. I can think of a handful of similar issues where I live that were turned around after large-scale public opinion voiced at planning meetings showed preference for another way. And we are certainly not know for being particularly progressive or forward-thinking...

If your government system is a Mayor-Council setup, these people do respond to their constituency, especially in an election year. As residents, you all hold the key to (re) electability and that's no small matter.

Also, key alliances among groups can do a lot. In Oregon, it was the unlikely 1970s alliance between environmentalists and local farmers that helped create the Urban Growth Boundary. Why? because environmentalists wanted to see a curtailing of sprawl as cities like Portland grew and farmers wanted to protect their livliehood working some of the most fertile land in the country.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Welcome from the Queen City of the Rockies, under the Big Sky, in the Last Best Place.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from Dallas, TX!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2009
    What mobilization there has been started with The Natural Step study circles introduced by the local University Extension about 3 years ago.

However, it was only recently that this study circle activity has actually approached the city.

This week, a group of neighbors and TNS participants came to a five year planning meeting for Parks and Rec held at the City Council chambers.

Having been involved with this for some time I would like to see more progress made.

My alderperson has not been very responsive and I would hope for a change in the district. To deflect your next question, I'm no good as a public speaker. It takes someone more compatible with the way things are done than my abilities allow.

I would like to bring in the Growing Power non profit organization as an active topic for discussion. Growing Power is in Milwaukee, WI and is involved with a lot more than urban gardening.

http://www.growingpower.org/

Will Allen is the 2008 recipent of the MacArthur Genius Award for innovation

More on this topic could follow.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2009
    Which forum area would be best to discuss the urban farming project of Growing Power:

http://www.growingpower.org/

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2009
    Where does a subject like urban gardening fit in Cyburbia regards land use and zoning issues confronted in other places?

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. LEED Professional?
    Student Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 29 Jul 2012, 10:23 PM
  2. Professional certification
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 09 Mar 2006, 12:50 PM
  3. I am not a professional
    Introduce Yourself