Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Modern Day Monarchy

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Modern Day Monarchy

Thanks to the wonderful creation of Hulu and the internet, I have watched a few episodes of Kings (NBC TV Show). The concept of the show is that a new country was created and the queen structured the government to be a strong king type monarchy with a table of advisors, but ultimately, he has final say on everything and anything.

The fascinating part is there appears to be a long history of the place, but the show does not go into what happened. It is almost as if some catastrophic human caused event whipped out the major cities, so he built a modern city for the capital.

It got me thinking, what if the US was a monarchy? What if the governmental system as we know it completely collapsed and what reemerged was a King ruled nation. First and foremost, I don’t think that this will or could ever happen, but it is a “what if” thing. I guess that would lead into the next question of what would the country look like if the US had to start over without any infrastructure, buildings, or roads. Would NYC, Chicago, and LA still be the way they are, or would there be a massive city in the center of what was Iowa?

I have never lived in a county with a strong monarchy system. GB still has a monarchy, but the country is controlled by parliament and not the queen. She is more of a figurative head. There are a couple modern monarchies out there in the Middle East, but they have been around for centuries. I don’t know if there are any places on the planet that have instated a monarchy system from a different system within the past 30+ years… maybe longer.

Would your thoughts on it be different if you were King or Queen?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2004
    For clarity are we talking hereditary monarchy? Constitutional monarchy?

How did this individual get to be king? I didn't vote for them!

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    For clarity are we talking hereditary monarchy? Constitutional monarchy?

How did this individual get to be king? I didn't vote for them!

He was ordained by god who called upon a swarm of butterflies to come down and form a ring. This ring on his head was a living crown. With the support of the local clergy, support was rallied and he became King.

I am serious LINK
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    He was ordained by god who called upon a swarm of butterflies to come down and form a ring. This ring on his head was a living crown. With the support of the local clergy, support was rallied and he became King.

I am serious LINK
    Are you sure it wasn't a farcical aquatic ceremony where the Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this person was to carry Excalibur?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Are you sure it wasn't a farcical aquatic ceremony where the Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this person was to carry Excalibur?

Maister, I'm worried about you. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some... farcical aquatic ceremony!

You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!!

I mean, if I went 'round, saying I was an emperor, just because some moistened bink had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!.

"Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2005
    No no, it was a classic story of the ugly old hag who demands a kiss in return for much needed water to a group of hunters. Niall, the only one with any balls among them, sucks some serious face and the hag reveals herself as a beautiful maiden representing the sovereignty of Ireland itself. In the end she names Niall and twenty-six of his descendants as High Kings of Ireland.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jan 2008
    IOt was a bit over 30 years ago (I think), but the US ginned up the "Peacock Throne" in Iran. Didn't the Brits do the same in Jordan after WW I?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Richi View post
    IOt was a bit over 30 years ago (I think), but the US ginned up the "Peacock Throne" in Iran. Didn't the Brits do the same in Jordan after WW I?
    A bit over 50 years, actually. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Ir...'%C3%A9tat

Ask a typical American if they've ever heard of 'Operation Ajax' and they look at you blankly. Ask any Iranian and they know all the details about it. The CIA overthrew a democratically elected government so we could install the 'Shah' and ensure a sweetheart petroleum deal. What's amazing is that it took nearly 26 years for the Iranians to launch a successful revolt.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    It sounds like it could be an update of the Handmaids Tale.

It is possible to happen. Democracy is not a really stable form of government. Under conditions of a benevolent leader with clear lines of secession of power, a monarchy could be even more stable than democracy.

There is no reason that a monarchy could not fully endorse and incorporate a free market system into a functioning unit of government.

However, the probability that we would have an all powerful king by divine right could be questionable. I think it might end up a lot more like an icelandic form of government from about 1200 bp to 1800 bp.

It is fun to think about.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    May 2004
    Who would be the royal family if this happened in America? The Kennedy's? The Bushes? Tom Brady?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Who would be the royal family if this happened in America? The Kennedy's? The Bushes? Tom Brady?
    Any such event would need some type of societal/cultural calamity. It is most likely that an unknown would develop to take the leadership mantel. Quite possibly military. Not sure about that really, Generals rarely make good governors. I can't see how it would otherwise work to change forms of government without such events.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Yep, but they don't focus on the little bit that's the US kicking the Soviets out of Iran and putting the Shah in place to keep the communists at bay (I'm sure the Iranians would have welcomed a atheistic society).

Given the history of absolute monarchies in the region, the Shah could have easily survived had he not turned so corrupt. The rest of the Gulf Region: Saudi, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, the UAE and Oman all have flourishing monarchies that have near absolute powers and these places are doing just fine and dandy (Bahrain's a bit iffy but it's nowhere near the revolutionary point and it's also possibly the most democratized of the countries).

Fact is, as long as we have decent job, decent mobility, food on the table, a roof over our heads, it really doesn't matter who the leaders are or the political structure. I might even welcome a monarchy of sorts for the pomp and grandeur it could provide.

A bit over 50 years, actually. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Ir...'%C3%A9tat

Ask a typical American if they've ever heard of 'Operation Ajax' and they look at you blankly. Ask any Iranian and they know all the details about it. The CIA overthrew a democratically elected government so we could install the 'Shah' and ensure a sweetheart petroleum deal. What's amazing is that it took nearly 26 years for the Iranians to launch a successful revolt.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Probably either Heidi and Spencer or the Hiltons. Of course I am sure Brad and Angelina would step up if asked.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. “Cool” modern design
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 23 Oct 2012, 3:34 PM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last post: 17 Aug 2010, 1:58 PM
  3. Which piece of modern art are you?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29