Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How can I find a position in non-profit or CDC?

Registered
    Aug 2008

How can I find a position in non-profit or CDC?

I am a recent grad in land use planning, I am trying to find a job in non-profit or CDC. But I do not know how to find out a position. I did not find out much of those organization on the internet. Many of them do not need planners at all. I want to know where should I look at.
    I do not care the location and salary at present time.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    You should check out the AmericCorps VISTA program:

AmeriCorps Overview - For Individuals

They have many positions that are related to planning. They don't pay a lot (maybe $900 per month, maybe more, maybe less, depending on where you volunteer), but they have free health care, give some support for relocation, and give you a bons if you finish out your commitment. Generally, you have to promise them a full year of your life (full-time with no outside commitments) but in this economy I don't think that would be a problem.

A couple of example positions that are planning-related:

ACCWT Watershed Development Coordinator: build capacity in the watershed organization, organize the water quality monitoring critical to future funding, reach out to youth and adults in their community to create awareness about watershed issues, engage in economic revitalization efforts and find the funds to keep all this critical work moving forward.

Foreclosure Prevention: Working closely with staff and the community, VISTAs will create and support systems that build the capacity of NHS of Baltimore to impact more households. Tasks may include conducting neighborhood surveys, developing workshop materials, recruiting resident volunteers, fundraising, building collaborations and partnerships, or managing data collection.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    At CDCs, planners tend to work in housing development at CDCs or as community organizers/facilitators. You won't be doing straight land use planning at a CDC as that is not really their role per se. I can go into more detail if you'd like.

Check out NeighborWorks America (www.nw.org) and the local LISC chapters in cities that you're interested in. Many cities and metro areas also have CDC/NDC associations that have websites with job postings.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    I do not think I can get a position in public or private sector now. I think it might be easier to find one in non-profit, even if it is non-paid. What can planners do in those organizations, not only land use planner? What skills I should brush up?

Thanks!

Registered
    Aug 2008
    I think they need real estate developer for housing projects. I once took some introductory course in real estate development, but I still do not know how to do it in the real world.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Making the move to a non-profit
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 17 Apr 2013, 11:50 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Nov 2009, 9:57 AM
  3. Non-profit Toronto
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 16 Oct 2009, 3:50 PM