Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Now entering an ozone nonattainment zone

Now entering an ozone nonattainment zone

My MPO area is about to be deemed nonattainment for the 8-hour ozone regulations. As such, the powers that be have turned to their intern to become super knowledgeable about the situation and how to proceed. I have spent what feels like half of my young life on the EPA website reading about ozone and transportation conformity. I suppose what I am looking for is any advice or guidance on how to get the whole process started. Is there someone I should call or email as a first step? Is there a magical step by step check list that I have just missed somewhere? Is there any literature that you would recommend other that the things that EPA has up(books, sites, articles, etc.)? Advice about nonattainment in general?

Sorry for having so many questions. This is the first time this area has been deemed non-attainment so it is new territory.Thanks for any help you can offer.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Congrats! Welcome to the wonderful world of CMAQ.

You are about to embark onto a journey of a billion new acronyms and conflicting federal guidance.

You are doing well by trying to understand this. I am not one of our agency's AQ person, but I do work closely with them.

I don't know if there is a simple "Air Quality for Dummys" type of book or course out there, in fact I doubt it. I am assuming that you have been to both EPA and DOT?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Yes, I have been all over both sites. To my surprise, I did finally reach a section on SIP this morning in the tome of a reference guide released by the EPA. It looks like it will prove to be reasonably helpful. It just takes forever to get through anything with all of the layered links and having to constantly flip through the acronym guide. And thank you for the reply.

Also to anyone else who is as lost as myself, the guide I am referencing is the Transportation Conformity Reference Guide -> http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/...guid/index.htm There is also a version for public officials which is good to read to get a quick gist of what the whole transportation conformity thing is all about.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 25 Jan 2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: seq. posts

Registered
    Jul 2009

Now entering an ozone nonattainment zone

You might have already done this but...

Check to see where the nearest large MPO is in your state and go to their website. There is a great deal of reference information in their mobility plans and it is written primarily for elected officials. its a good first stop in you research,

Registered
    Jan 2009
    If this is your first time at non-attainment, find someone to talk to at either Maricopa County (Arizona) or Maricopa Association of Governments (MAG is the local MPO for Phoenix). We've been outside attainment for PM-10 for several years I beleive. Deserts seem to have a dust problem.

Sorry, I don't have any good contacts - I don't work in AQ and would be more lost than anyone. Here are their websites:

www.maricopa.gov
    http://www.mag.maricopa.gov/display.cms

Good luck

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Try the California Air Resources Board website.
    Don't know the correct web address, (may be under Southcoast Air Quality), but if you Google or Bing, you should be able to find it.
    They've been at this for so long that the EPA takes their cues from them.
    By the way, expect to be non-attainment for a long time.
    The EPA is constantly moving the goal posts, year after year.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 16 Nov 2012, 3:45 PM
  2. Concern about entering the field
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 21 Apr 2011, 11:34 AM
  3. Student entering the job market
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 24 Feb 2010, 3:37 AM