Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: San Luis Obispo downtown center...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2006
    LOL! - I may be off the mark, but it sounds like the point of this thread is that "urban 19" has a paper due at CalPoly.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by OregonPlanner View post
    LOL! - I may be off the mark, but it sounds like the point of this thread is that "urban 19" has a paper due at CalPoly.
    With the exception that his master plan tells him he has a higher calling at CSUN. I don't know where his "research" is taking him. Maybe it has something to do with Gangster Clothing at JC Penny's or something. I have yet to respond when his "research" came up with Bay Street Center being emeryville's Downtown because i fell out my chair laughing. Oh well, i am sure someone will Chime in. Where is RJ when we need him?
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    I have yet to respond when his "research" came up with Bay Street Center being emeryville's Downtown because i fell out my chair laughing.
    Ditto Well, actually, I just almost fell out of my chair.

Urban19 - Emeryville doesn't have a downtown. It's a city that basically exists for stuff that would be too expensive/politically difficult to pull off in Berkeley to the north or Oakland to the south. High rise residential, loft residential with loads of parking, big box stores galore, PIXAR (Steve Jobs needs his 20 foot walls), biotech stuff (also typically looking fortress-like).
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by urban19 View post
    so is the downtown center, pacific garden mall, and where the borders is at in davis all similar? they are all college shopping town centers? located in street retail?
    Pacific Avenue in Santa Cruz is no longer called the "Garden Mall." Not since its rebuilding after the Loma Prieta earthquake. It's just, Pacific Avenue. Do some research.

Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    Downtown Santa Cruz is a tourist area for people from San Jose. I'd hardly call it a college oriented shopping district.
    In fact, Pacific Avenue has be avoided by the San Jose crowd for years. Even lots of locals avoid Pacific Avenue--street urchins and inappropriate social behavior are the main causes. (Google Robert Norse and Becky Johnson.)

The Raf gigging me.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Okay, well is Bay Street "street retail" or a "lifestyle center"? Does Walnut Creek or Palo Alto downtown have anything like the downtown center?

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    In fact, Pacific Avenue has be avoided by the San Jose crowd for years.
    That expllains why none of my friends and relatives have suggested we visit it in a long time.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Okay, well is Bay Street "street retail" or a "lifestyle center"? Does Walnut Creek or Palo Alto downtown have anything like the downtown center?
    no but there downtowns are better

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    no but there downtowns are better
    i heard walnut creek and palo alto's downtown has mix-used centers along side street like the court street center. what r the names of the mix-used centers in their downtown?

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    so does palo alto's downtown have a college town square or mix-used center along university avenue?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    so does palo alto's downtown have a college town square or mix-used center along university avenue?
    No. There is a Borders that is inside of a converted old theater on University Ave, but that's it. There's a large mall (Stanford Shopping Center) across El Camino Real next to Stanford (the mall is actually partially owned by the university) that has just about every high end store that you can think of - it's not geared towards typical college students.
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    i heard walnut creek and palo alto's downtown has mix-used centers along side street like the court street center. what r the names of the mix-used centers in their downtown?
    Court street is not mixed use center. It does not contain a residential component. That got shot down by the City Council in 2001 because of the lack of parking. It just a mix of uses office/retail. Get your terminology strait. And plus what is this "town square" you are talking about? Isn't the definition of a town square a meeting/gathering place for those living in town to come together? Technically speaking, that would be mission plaza imo.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    ..... Get your terminology strait. ......
    Off-topic:
    And you want to use me as a reference?

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Court street is not mixed use center. It does not contain a residential component. That got shot down by the City Council in 2001 because of the lack of parking. It just a mix of uses office/retail. Get your terminology strait. And plus what is this "town square" you are talking about? Isn't the definition of a town square a meeting/gathering place for those living in town to come together? Technically speaking, that would be mission plaza imo.
    Court Street Center is a mix-used center because it is "retail" and office". Mix-used is defined as retail and office, residential and office, or retail and residential, or all 3. And the downtown center is what i consider to be a town square shopping center. since its more of a main hang out place for ppl to go to.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Court Street Center is a mix-used center because it is "retail" and office". Mix-used is defined as retail and office, residential and office, or retail and residential, or all 3. And the downtown center is what i consider to be a town square shopping center. since its more of a main hang out place for ppl to go to.
    http://www.icsc.org/srch/about/impac...efinitions.pdf

this defines a mix-used center.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Okay, so if Court Street Center is not a mix-used center then would you consider Chinatown a mix-used center? All though, Chinatown is not really a center.

Maybe we need a definition for places like Court Street in San Luis Obispo, Old Town Center in Los Gatos, Carmel Plaza in Carmel, and others like them. Perhaps a retail village? They include "high-end" stores that are not normally found in cities or malls and their prices for products are more expensive than normal places. They are too small to be a lifestyle center or open-air mall, but have major retail stores.

BTW Raf, do you think that Chinatown will attract more national chains or be filled up with local stores?

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Its components and size may make it what ever you want to classify it, Retail, Entertainment, what ever............it sounds like it was a pat response by the developer and its only true function is to turn a buck for the developer.....I give it a F.

I was in Downtown SLO recently it certainly does not need this.

cr
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    So Court Street Center is not considered mix-used? What would the Chinatown project be considered? Could that be considered a mix-used project?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    So Court Street Center is not considered mix-used? What would the Chinatown project be considered? Could that be considered a mix-used project?
    Court street is a mix of use, translation, a mix of small office on top of a retail.

Chinatown, if implemented as planned, would fit the planners definition of mixed-use. It contains office/retail and...

wait for it...
    wait for it...
    wait for it...
    wait for it...
    residential component

As others as said, why try to fit everything in a nice neat box. the best planning projects never do.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Court street is a mix of use, translation, a mix of small office on top of a retail.

Chinatown, if implemented as planned, would fit the planners definition of mixed-use. It contains office/retail and...

wait for it...
    wait for it...
    wait for it...
    wait for it...
    residential component

As others as said, why try to fit everything in a nice neat box. the best planning projects never do.
    Yeah I gave up on putting things into boxes. I guess you can't consider it a "mix-used center" since it's not a center but includes street retail and second lvl retail, hotel, offices, and residential.

I think it's a very nice project. By the time I'm done with college it will hopefully be built.

Registered
    May 2010
    Quote Originally posted by ZoningCOP View post
    Who am I kidding, I spent most of the best years of my youth hanging out and loitering in an enclosed mall in the North East (e.g. Oxford Valley Mall, Franklin Mills Mall, Willow Grove Mall). How can I turn my back on that. Mall Rats style. Those were defining moments in my youth. And I would never trade that in for an outdoor mall.
    With all due respect, that was in the North East.
    Have you seen Cali Weather all year long?

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    I am starting to think that the Chinatown project is not even a center, but just a redevelopment project adding new downtown stores (15). Many people including myself are just upset that more rich people are moving in and taking control of everything. I can see Williams Sonoma, J. Crew, Wet Seal, Trade Secret, and maybe two more other high end clothing stores going in. This was the trend with Court Street as half went local and half went to national retailers-Chicos, Abercrombie, Talbots, Pottery Barn, Aveda, and Sephora. Not to mention I think Whole Foods will want to go in Garden Street Terraces to be near the other high-end retailers. Of course many of us should have seen this coming with the glamorization of SLO and Cal Poly's growing sphere of influence. Even poor Templeton is giving into the rich coming in with a high-end tennis club going in and us already building more fancy homes and gated communities.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I am starting to think that the Chinatown project is not even a center, but just a redevelopment project adding new downtown stores (15). Many people including myself are just upset that more rich people are moving in and taking control of everything. I can see Williams Sonoma, J. Crew, Wet Seal, Trade Secret, and maybe two more other high end clothing stores going in. This was the trend with Court Street as half went local and half went to national retailers-Chicos, Abercrombie, Talbots, Pottery Barn, Aveda, and Sephora. Not to mention I think Whole Foods will want to go in Garden Street Terraces to be near the other high-end retailers. Of course many of us should have seen this coming with the glamorization of SLO and Cal Poly's growing sphere of influence. Even poor Templeton is giving into the rich coming in with a high-end tennis club going in and us already building more fancy homes and gated communities.
    I think you should just start a thread for you. Make it about the topics you want to talk about. Then answer yourself. Personally, I stay out of your topics because when someone tells you an informed response, you go back to what you think, instead of using that information to add to your knowledge base. The first thing you really need to get a hold of is that there are always people who know more than you. You are into SLO. I get that, but you are getting to be a one trick pony, and it is becoming boring.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    ...you are getting to be a one trick pony, and it is becoming boring.
    You're being generous.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Personally, I stay out of your topics .
    My thoughts too.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Off-topic:
    Personally, I stay out of your topics because when someone tells you an informed response, you go back to what you think, instead of using that information to add to your knowledge base.
    U19- Congrats to getting into Cal Poly SLO, but take this advice, or else you will be eaten alive by your professors as well as a few adjunct professors that teach there that roam this board

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 03 Apr 2011, 8:52 PM
  2. Macy's coming to San Luis Obispo...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 03 Apr 2011, 6:26 PM
  3. San Luis Obispo, CA
    Cities and Places