Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: San Luis Obispo downtown center...

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Off-topic:

U19- Congrats to getting into Cal Poly SLO, but take this advice, or else you will be eaten alive by your professors as well as a few adjunct professors that teach there that roam this board
    I will keep that in mind. I don't have much leverage in an argument about SLO except the fact I have visited, shopped, and spent many days there while I was growing up. However if they bring up the county, northern San Luis Obispo County, or even Templeton then I have the right of an opinion as a resident here and as a planning student. If they bring up the topic of Dalidio Ranch for example I can speak on behalf of everyone I know who voted for that and also bring up the fact that the Constitution defends the right of the people's vote.

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    It looks like the latest fad in retail cneters. Smaller malls with typical stores to attract people to walk around. We have a few here in the Phoenix area. The little retail core is nice, but then it's surrounded by big box stores and parking lots.
    I think this idea has potential if it can be placed in a downtown setting like the title of the place suggests. Then there would be more to walk to than just that retail setting.

If this gets enough good bars, it could be a great place for a fest.
    This place already has potential. Place park and livable spaces where the parking lots are now, and leave the new "downtown" area to develop naturally.
    The "bog box" stores can be used as storage places for the community. They could also be used as amusement parks. Or markets.

Quote Originally posted by CJC View post
    No. There is a Borders that is inside of a converted old theater on University Ave, but that's it. There's a large mall (Stanford Shopping Center) across El Camino Real next to Stanford (the mall is actually partially owned by the university) that has just about every high end store that you can think of - it's not geared towards typical college students.

Tellingly, the Stanford Mall sees Santana Row ( a new urbanist outdoor mall about 15 mikes away in San Jose as it's competition, not the college stuff in Berkeley. Though I can say from personal experience that the mall attracts lots Stanford students.

Actually, having stopped by the mall last summer, it's lost its sparkle. Downtown Palo Alto is a much more happening place.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    Tellingly, the Stanford Mall sees Santana Row ( a new urbanist outdoor mall about 15 mikes away in San Jose as it's competition, not the college stuff in Berkeley. Though I can say from personal experience that the mall attracts lots Stanford students.

Actually, having stopped by the mall last summer, it's lost its sparkle. Downtown Palo Alto is a much more happening place.
    Interesting the downtown beats out a lifestyle center. And recently you start seeing the lifestyle center stores locate in downtowns. Burlingame Avenue seems to have alot of the lifestyle center stores heading downtown. Same as Berkeley with Sur La Table and some others.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    From what I can see this is the list of national chains in downtown Palo Alto and other small city downtowns:

Palo Alto:
    Apple
    Chico's
    Anthropologie
    American Apparel
    Borders
    Whole Foods

Santa Cruz has these:
    Whole Foods
    American Apparel
    Urban Outfitters
    O'Neil
    Gap
    Borders

Berkeley:
    Sur La Table
    Shiekh Shoes
    American Apparel
    Urban Outfitters
    Whole Foods
    Hot Topic
    Crate and Barrel Outlet Store
    Wet Seal

San Luis Obispo:
    Solstice Sunglasses
    Gap
    Express
    Sunglass Hut
    Urban Outfitters
    Victoria Secrets
    Talbots
    Chicos
    Abercrombie and Fitch
    Banana Republic
    Pottery Barn
    Papyrus
    Apple
    Whole Foods (coming soon)

Santa Barbara:
    Sak's Fifth Avenue
    Barnes N Nobles
    American Apparel
    Urban Outfitters
    Apple
    Whole Foods
    etc...

Burlingame:
    Francesca's Collection
    American Apparel
    Pottery Barn
    Apple
    Banana Republic
    J. Crew

My list could use some help. Also, downtown San Luis Obispo is adding more with the Chinatown project.
    Last edited by urban19; 26 Feb 2011 at 10:26 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    And what does this have to do with the downtown center? Wasn't the point of this thread was for you to ask questions and answer your question about the downtown center?
    the train wreck be comin'
    it be comin' realz soon
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    And what does this have to do with the downtown center? Wasn't the point of this thread was for you to ask questions and answer your question about the downtown center?
    the train wreck be comin'
    it be comin' realz soon
    And you are trying to start a train wreck by coming in this thread and saying this? Versus messaging me?

And to answer the question, it was a comment to the poster who mentioned Palo Alto's downtown.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    You've forgot Subway. I have seen a lot of Subways in small downtowns. People love having $5 foot longs. Oh and you forgot people and offices, a downtown needs those too! and you forgot municipal buildings, nearly every small downtown I've been to has at least a couple.

In downtown Detroit there are several places where you can get IDs made that require no documentation. Kids often stop there on thier way to Canada where the drinking age is only 19. Thieves also find them handy when they steal a wallet that is full of credit cards. Maybe SLO could use some of those?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Off-topic:
    Pulling over to the side of the road to let the EMT and fire engines to attend the train wreck.

Registered
    Feb 2011
    rubbernecking to observe the trainwreck

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by urban19 View post
    And you are trying to start a train wreck by coming in this thread and saying this? Versus messaging me?
    No point in messaging you. I can turn blue and the face and die of suffocation because quite frankly, you haven't taken any from any of the professionals on this site in this small industry. Remember, you are coming in contact through this board with planners in your future field. People know people here and people talk, if you get my drift, especially when you are looking for a job in the near future.

Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    You've forgot Subway. I have seen a lot of Subways in small downtowns. People love having $5 foot longs. Oh and you forgot people and offices, a downtown needs those too! and you forgot municipal buildings, nearly every small downtown I've been to has at least a couple.

In downtown Detroit there are several places where you can get IDs made that require no documentation. Kids often stop there on thier way to Canada where the drinking age is only 19. Thieves also find them handy when they steal a wallet that is full of credit cards. Maybe SLO could use some of those?
    Dude, what about bars and homeless people with funny signs. You can't go to a downtown with some quite dive bars coupled with homeless people with funny signs. It makes that night that much better
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Chains are the bane of our existence - anywhere America is not good planning practice

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Registered
    Dec 2008

Dude, what about bars and homeless people with funny signs. You can't go to a downtown with some quite dive bars coupled with homeless people with funny signs. It makes that night that much better
    Sometimes I like to go downtown and if there aren't any real homeless people with funny signs, I quickly make one. Luckily - as a planner - I'm able to pass for a crazy homeless person without altering my appearance much - and thus I fill this important role in the downtown that you've rightly pointed out. It's really like a public service. The extra money's not bad either.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Moderator note:
    ~Gedunker

Ahem, folks. I already derailed the train wreck in the Cities and Places subforum. Let's get on topic here and try to leave this one open. Those that argue the youngster won't listen should remember that trying to teach a pig to sing wastes your own time and annoys the pig. Capisce?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    No point in messaging you. I can turn blue and the face and die of suffocation because quite frankly, you haven't taken any from any of the professionals on this site in this small industry. Remember, you are coming in contact through this board with planners in your future field. People know people here and people talk, if you get my drift, especially when you are looking for a job in the near future.

Sounds like so far you only bash everything I say and try to disprove MY OPINION and it's an opinion so how can you argue with what I feel or think, you can't. If you don't like my posts or messages then ignore it and don't post. Don't post if you are going to come and say stupid shit.

And like the moderator said I am young and haven't had much experience with city planning work and I am in no position to learn or understand much. When I am at Cal Poly SLO and learning some things, then it might be different in how I comprehend. In the mean time, try to respect my viewpoints and I will in return respect you back.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by urban19 View post
    Sounds like so far you only bash everything I say and try to disprove MY OPINION and it's an opinion so how can you argue with what I feel or think, you can't. If you don't like my posts or messages then ignore it and don't post. Don't post if you are going to come and say stupid shit.

And like the moderator said I am young and haven't had much experience with city planning work and I am in no position to learn or understand much. When I am at Cal Poly SLO and learning some things, then it might be different in how I comprehend. In the mean time, try to respect my viewpoints and I will in return respect you back.
    Well Mr. Cursey McCurseword I think Gedunker was being extremely kind in leaving this open. You have been nothing but confrontational and really are just asking questions to hear your own answers. Not those who ACTUALLY know something about planning or the situation. No one is going to take this thread seriously, just as the last thread wasn't taken seriously - not because of the topic, because the topic is reasonable - but because of the way you ask questions and respond to answers. I would suggest we just lock this thread sooner than later and have a 1 year moratorium on anything related to SLO... or we continue to enjoy the thread as if Starring_Emma were here.... *sigh those were the days (literally like 4 days)*
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Anyways, seeing a small retail center built in downtowns are unusual. Usually it's a full-on mall or lifestyle center. Yet, this center has brought more mall chains to the city.

The downtown has attracted a good variety of national chains thus there is no need for a mall to be in the city. Some will still be against the national chains being in the city though.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Cyburbia Forum rules state:

2.11 Single issue posters / one-trick ponies
    The Forums are not intended to furnish people with a venue for single-mindedly promoting their personal agenda. Staff may ask users to limit or refrain from posting on a certain topic.

Emphasis mine.

urban19: for the remainder of March, you are to refrain from discussing San Luis Obispo or retail development.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 03 Apr 2011, 7:52 PM
  2. Macy's coming to San Luis Obispo...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 03 Apr 2011, 5:26 PM
  3. San Luis Obispo, CA
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 89