Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Chicago-area volunteer opportunities

Registered
    Jun 2009

Chicago-area volunteer opportunities

I am looking for volunteer opportunities in a planning environment in the Chicago area. I'm curious whether anyone has found any such opportunities or may have advice on where to look. There are a number of activist organizations that I am a member of such as the Active Transportation Alliance that I want to give some time to, but I'm more interested in specifically planning-oriented opportunities. Thanks!

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Try Center for Neighborhood Technology.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by thiqued View post
    I am looking for volunteer opportunities in a planning environment in the Chicago area. I'm curious whether anyone has found any such opportunities or may have advice on where to look. There are a number of activist organizations that I am a member of such as the Active Transportation Alliance that I want to give some time to, but I'm more interested in specifically planning-oriented opportunities. Thanks!
    Just start calling different muncipalities, county governments, etc. and ask if they could use some free work. That's how I got my long-running paid internship all through college...I first called a few places and asked them if they could use some free volunteer work. I was turned down several times, but I was persistent and as soon as I found a taker, I jumped on it. My volunteer internship was only about 20-30 hours/week for about a month in the summer, and then another month in the winter. And it was a lot of boring filing and copying and data entry at first, but I eventually worked my way into the juicy planning stuff. Then they paid me the next summer cause I was so good!

So yeah, just get on the horn and start calling places and ask if they could use help. A lot of places can't afford to hire paid interns right now, but they may have a bunch of projects they could use free help with. A lot of them don't think to offer official volunteer positions and don't make job postings for them, so you really have to call people up to find out.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Thanks a lot!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 Jun 2011, 4:27 PM
  2. Bay Area urban issues volunteer opportunities
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 13 May 2011, 12:59 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Feb 2011, 6:29 PM
  4. Volunteer opportunities - evenings and weekends?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 23 Nov 2010, 3:12 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last post: 08 Nov 2007, 4:38 PM