Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: State urban policy agenda?

State urban policy agenda?

Hi all,

I am interested in states with good comprehensive urban policy agendas (not a plan from the state level, but guidance and a framework for dynamic cities) Links to websites, reports etc. appreciated.

Thanks

Registered
    May 2005
    A lot of states have shied away from planning mandates and have left it up to local municipalities to manage growth. Now, though, as municipalities bump up against one another and many regional planning councils have only limited authority to coordinate these efforts, I personally think we start seeing more states getting directly involved. But I think the main reticence has been around issues of "legal takings" and the fear of future lawsuits.

This all pertains to land use issues. Transportation, natural resource managements, economic development and other sub-fields are "partners in crime" for Planning may have their own departments in many states.

Oregon is the only state I can say for sure has a state land use planning agenda. They are the ones that require all cities over a certain population to develop and manage Urban Growth Boundaries. Many people think this is just a Portland thing, but in fact it is required by the state.

I recall from planning school that Vermont used to have a more assertive state planning approach but that they backed off in the last decade. Not sure about any others. Perhaps others know more...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    A lot of states have shied away from planning mandates and have left it up to local municipalities to manage growth. ...

Oregon is the only state I can say for sure has a state land use planning agenda. They are the ones that require all cities over a certain population to develop and manage Urban Growth Boundaries. Many people think this is just a Portland thing, but in fact it is required by the state.

I recall from planning school that Vermont used to have a more assertive state planning approach but that they backed off in the last decade. Not sure about any others. Perhaps others know more...
    WA State has a Growth Management Act, going about this differently than OR. Slightly more than a dozen goals, leaving the counties and cities to figger out how to do it from the bottom-up. CTED is their state-level office.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Big Brother is alive and well in Florida.

http://www.dca.state.fl.us/

Ah, but next year marks a sunset review by the legislature.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Postgraduate/PhD PhD in urban policy
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 21 May 2012, 9:18 AM
  2. MPA in urban policy and planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 12 Apr 2011, 2:34 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 28 Mar 2008, 2:21 PM