Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Shiprock, NM

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Shiprock, NM

Shiprock is one of the major "towns" on the Navajo Reservation, and it's older, larger and more established than most of the others. It's laid out rather haphazardly along the San Juan River and various highways, but there are some fairly nice bits.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Thatsaburger? Is that the Four Corners version of Lotaburger and Whataburger?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Thatsaburger? Is that the Four Corners version of Lotaburger and Whataburger?
    Pretty much, yeah. There's only the one location, as far as I know. It's very similar to Lotaburger; I don't know if there's any connection.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I dub thee, Teofilo, "King of the picture threads".

Doesn't look like a bad town. Lots of churches. The infrastructure in the residential area seems pretty substandard, though. It looks like some people are living in what looks like FEMA trailers, too.

Registered
    May 2007
    I went through this area a few weeks ago as well, on the return leg of a 2 week road trip. Shiprock is much more appealing than the likes of Chinle! Next time you're up there, you should take pics of the zoning violations on the north side of the road, halfway between Shiprock and Farmington. I'm talking about the mobile home graveyard, and the auto dismantler that does his work outside of the fence, just feet off the roadway. I would have gotten pics, but didn't get my camera out in time since I wasn't expecting that sight!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Any Tony Hillerman "Jim Chee" mysteries fans out there. Hillerman did a great job of portraying Navajo towns like Shiprock in his several books.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Is the sky really that deep a shade of blue? I'm astounded...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    The sky is indeed that shade of blue, although it's usually not that cloudy.

Hillerman's novels are fantastic for their portrayal of Navajo culture and the southwestern landscape.

+ Reply to thread