Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vacation Plans?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009

Vacation Plans?

Anyone planning on going somewhere exciting for vacation?
    I'm still trying to decide where I should go. Two weeks is definately not long enough. I'm dying to go to Europe but it would seem like a waste to go for just two weeks unless stick with one or two countries. Due to time and financial constraints, I may resort to Calfornia, but I feel like I can be more creative.

Any ideas?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    How about Stanfest in a couple weeks, then I dunno new zealand?

Registered
    May 2005
    We're going to the exotic locales of Buffalo, Cleveland and Pittsburgh! Seriously.

Its mostly to see family and friends but also a little family history recon near Pittsburgh. Still, I have a fondness for these former industrial giants and plan on taking lots of photos. We'll be renting a cabin and having folks come join us for some wet fun (its dry here, so anything near a body of water is most exciting).
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm headed to Sturgis August 1-11 for Bike Week with the father-in-law.

October 18-28 I'll be in China with the misses.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I'll be doing a long Pacific Northwest trip in August. Flying to Sacramento, renting a car and going to San Fran, up the coast to Coos Bay, OR, then Portland, Vancouver, BC, then flying back out of Seattle. Can't wait.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I am going to the Bear's stomping grounds for a wedding in Toledo this weekend and we are going to go to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame the next day. Does that count?

We were going to go to Seattle for a week in September, but the person we were planning to visit is coming here in August so we are reconsidering but I definitely want to still go. We were also thinking about going to the U.K. and France for two weeks in November or December or January because a) we're young b) we have no kids yet and c) there are some great deals so what better time than the present?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Our original plans were to fly out to Portland to see my son and his family. However, his wife has strongly pushed for a return trip to Ohio, to see family, yadda. My son and his family fly-in to Columbus in early August. They will be spending some time at our place. Plans include cookouts, Cedar Point, a Toledo Mud Hens baseball game, and a fishing trip.

Katie and I adjusted our vacation plans to be in-sync with the Portland clan.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I'll probably be going to Cincinnati and Indianapolis for a 3.5 day weekend in August to see the GF's family. Never been to Cincy...or Ohio for that matter. So it should be fun!
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Turks & Caicos 8/24-8/29 for R.T.'s 16th Birthday!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    I'm headed to Sturgis August 1-11 for Bike Week ...
    Ooooh, Bike Week!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I don't suppose that's Sturgis, MI, that you're talking about. But if it is, it's only 20-25 miles to Swiss Valley, the finest ski slope in SW Michigan. That's a joke, son. But then, so is Swiss Valley. Enjoy Sturgis, SD, I've never been able to make that trip.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Say hi to Aerosmith for me while you're there. They'll be playing Sturgis on the 5th.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    Turks & Caicos 8/24-8/29 for R.T.'s 16th Birthday!
    I hate you with every stretched tendon, dead brain cell, polyp, and pustule associated with ofos's body.

Have a great time, beyotch.

Oh, that's the heart of hurricane season. We need to talk.
    I'd buy vacation insurance if I were you.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I hate you with every stretched tendon, dead brain cell, polyp, and pustule associated with ofos's body.
    Off-topic:
    Kjelsadek, since I lack all of those afflictions, he is apparently quite fond of you.

(Disclaimer: There is a slight chance of dead brain cells but I prefer to think of them as having been preserved in alcohol.)

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I'm going back home for the only time this year for my grandmother's 90th birthday. South Mississippi to da region and back, think there might be some cultural whiplash?
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2003
    We have already been on vacation. Yellowstone, Devil's Tower, Mount Rushmore. Maybe a trip at the end of the month to Florida.

Hoping to get the chance to see RJ and ZG if I get close enough.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post

Have a great time, beyotch.

Oh, that's the heart of hurricane season. We need to talk.
    I'd buy vacation insurance if I were you.
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Off-topic:
    Kjelsadek, since I lack all of those afflictions, he is apparently quite fond of you.

(Disclaimer: There is a slight chance of dead brain cells but I prefer to think of them as having been preserved in alcohol.)
    Feeling the love as always from RJ We are aware that it is hurricane season and are fine with it. We are both looking forward to the much needed break. I even promised to leave the laptop at home!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I am actually dreading my vacation. I am going to lovely suburban LA next month so I don't have to listen to my sister yelp about how I never come to visit her since she moved. With cell phones and texting this is becoming increasingly annoying.

Hopefully I will get a chance to get a glimpse of the ocean while being shuttled off to a McDonalds, OfficeMax, Target, or Disneyland. If I had it my way, I'd go to the Beach, the Getty, or the Reagan Museum.

I figure if I go now, then she can't complain when I go to CA to go to Yosemite and not visit her in the future.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Say hi to Aerosmith for me while you're there. They'll be playing Sturgis on the 5th.
    Absolutely! We are staying at the Broken Spoke... Broken Wheel... something like that, which is right next door to the Buffalo Chip where they will be playing. The Chip costs more and didn't have RV sewer hook-ups. I am amazed my wife is letting me go to Sturgis unsupervised, even though I'm going with her dad. He & I tend to egg each other on, so who knows what trouble we will get into!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Absolutely! We are staying at the Broken Spoke... Broken Wheel... something like that, which is right next door to the Buffalo Chip where they will be playing. The Chip costs more and didn't have RV sewer hook-ups. I am amazed my wife is letting me go to Sturgis unsupervised, even though I'm going with her dad. He & I tend to egg each other on, so who knows what trouble we will get into!
    Pictures, don't forget to take pictures. They just might be better than RJ's.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    As usual, a working vacation. Going first to Enterprise, Oregon for a day or two at the bronze foundry, then on to Fort Collins, CO and the Loveland Invitational Sculpture Show (Mrs. Otis is invited to show her work; I will be in Golden at the Colo RR Museum), then perhaps a detour to Yellowstone and back to the Oregon Coast.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Taking 10 Vacation Days in August - Jersey Shore.
    Have reserved 6 Vacation Days for X-Mas.

After that I would still have 13 Vacation Days to take.
    Ready can't afford to change jobs with this kind of benefit can I ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    3 nights in NOLA at the end of July. Just RJ and me. In a nice old hotel.

Then maybe take the kid back to central FL in mid-August to hang out with his old buddy who should be out of reform school in Tampa by then... really, this was a nice kid, well, a couple of years ago...

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Im going to Townsville, on the Northern part of the east coast of Australia for a 4 day weekend.

Hopefully my time will be spent laying on a beach and snorkelling in the reef up there.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    41 days and counting.....

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Summer Vacation 2007 - Your Plans
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 79
    Last post: 13 Aug 2007, 7:34 PM
  2. Summer Vacation 2006 - Your Plans
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 51
    Last post: 20 Jul 2006, 12:53 PM
  3. Summer vacation 2005 - Your Plans?