Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Electronic submission of GIS data

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Electronic submission of GIS data

I'm attempting to write, on extremely short notice, a provision for a grant contract boilerplate that requires Contractors to provide GIS data to us. I am expecting line files for infrastructure projects and point files for public facilities. I am located in Texas, which has multiple state planes, so I'm going with unprojected GCS. I'm pretty-much the only person here with enough knowledge of GIS to write this, but I really need another set of eyes to look this over. Any comments on the text below or electronic submission of GIS data are very appreciated.

Contractor shall receive and provide <agency> a copy of Civil portions of the plan drawings in ESRI ArcGIS-compatible Shapefile (*.shp) format on machine readable media, such as compact disc (CD) or Digital Versatile Disc (DVD). The digital copy provided shall not include a digital representation of the engineer’s seal but the accompanying documentation from the engineer shall include a signed statement of when the digital data was authorized and that the digital data is a true representation of the original sealed document. In addition, complete documentation as to the content and layout of the data files and the name of the software package(s) used to generate the data and maps shall be provided in written form. Contractor shall ensure that the media copy of all the electronic files and other data provided to <agency> are properly identified. Specifically, the media label shall show Contractor’s name, <agency>’s assigned contract number, the contents of the media, the preparer’s name, and the name of the software package(s) used to generate the maps on the media. Contractor shall ensure that the media copy of all the electronic files and other data provided to <agency> are properly identified. Specifically, the media label shall show Contractor’s name, <agency>’s assigned contract number, the contents of the media, the preparer’s name, and the name of the software package(s) used to generate the maps on the media. If a Contractor is unable to convert their data into an appropriate GIS file format, then <agency> encourages Contractors to contact a vendor who specializes in GIS Data Conversion. <agency> does not provide training in GIS software or data conversion.

Submit files using the Geographic Coordinate System (GCS), which means that the x-/y- coordinate values use the longitude/latitude values for the State of Texas. These values are –93 to –107 decimal degrees for the x-coordinate and 25 to 37 decimal degrees for the y-coordinate value. The files shall use the NAD 27 or NAD 83 Datum.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2006
    This seems like something that your State GIS office would already have. I'm sure there are standard contract templates that they could send you. Also, I'm sure that they have metadata standards that you should put into your contract. You will want your data to integrate well with other Texas GIS data, so using the same standards and metadata templates would help achieve that goal.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Will this be for statewide data? If not, you'd be better off using State Plane as most of your local data will be in that format (including a lot of data centered around San Antonio which might be of use for you).

A couple of extra things I'd require would be:
    • Complete metadata including a key for all codes used in the attribute tables, date of publication, etc.
    • A data dictionary which shows, for each shapefile, a list of the attribute table fields and all of their potential values (including descriptions of codes).

Edit: Wait, I'm not sure if you're having a consultant develop city-wide data for you or if you are requiring construction contractors to provide you with data...if its the latter, I think you'd need to provide them with the data dictionary that I referenced above (or some sort of template shapefile so that everything you get from various contractors is uniform).

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by FueledByRamen View post
    Will this be for statewide data? If not, you'd be better off using State Plane as most of your local data will be in that format (including a lot of data centered around San Antonio which might be of use for you).

A couple of extra things I'd require would be:
    • Complete metadata including a key for all codes used in the attribute tables, date of publication, etc.
    • A data dictionary which shows, for each shapefile, a list of the attribute table fields and all of their potential values (including descriptions of codes).

Edit: Wait, I'm not sure if you're having a consultant develop city-wide data for you or if you are requiring construction contractors to provide you with data...if its the latter, I think you'd need to provide them with the data dictionary that I referenced above (or some sort of template shapefile so that everything you get from various contractors is uniform).
    It's statewide data. I'm not a fan of GCS, but I'm working with an area that stretches from Texarkana to Brownsville. I really want the physical location of these projects more than anything. We are requiring construction contractors to provide the data. I know I can't get a data dictionary template put together in time, so I think I'll add a reference to the text stating that <agency> will provide a data dictionary.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 04 Nov 2009, 3:35 PM
  2. MLA portfolio submission
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 17 Jul 2006, 9:20 PM
  3. Subdivision Digital plat submission
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 30 Jul 2002, 10:46 AM