Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Looking into MURP programs

Registered
    Jul 2009

Looking into MURP programs

Hi, I'm going to graduate next spring with my BA in Geography (Urban and Regional Studies) with a minor in Sociology from The Ohio State University. I'm looking at MURP programs in Ohio and surrounding states. I think I've narrowed it down to, in this order: Louisville, Ball St., Cincy, and Ohio State. I think I'd have a better chance for funding from Louisville or Ball St. Louisville is very appealing to me with all its joint programs. I currently have a 3.1 GPA and am going to take my GRE in August. Does anyone have any input on how hard it is to get funding from U of L and Ball?

I'm also looking at Miami of Ohio, although the degree is a MA in Geog. Does anyone know how intense the Urban Planning specialization is? I know its not accredited by the PAB, but its better than nothing, and I think I'd have a good chance for funding.

Also, how important does the Undergrad school play into the application process? Am I wrong for thinking an Ohio State degree will help my chances since it is ranked 5th in the nation for Geography?

Thanks.

one of my favorite professors (Geographical applications for statistics, transportation modeling) completed her Ph D at Ohio so I would be leaning there, i know that the midwest has surprisingly solid urban plannign programs especially from a technical side of things-

take the GRE and see what happens, decide if money is really the tipping factor, but just based on my knowledge of schools off the top of my head i'd say Ohio-

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Im going to Louisville Spring of 10. I chose it because first off I live in NKY just across the river from tha nati. DAAP is a great program and pretty competitive...same with OSU. They tend to offer more on the design side as they are housed in the Arch depts respectively. Louisville is also a cooler city imho. It is much more progressive than Cincy (unfortunately) I dont know muc about Columbus but, i would imagine its close. Louisvilles funding opportunties are what really helped me make the choice. I had a 3.0 undergrad from UCSB and just took the GRE and got a 1220 (550 V, 670 Q 5.0 W) so Im confident I can get in. They offer about 20 Graduate research assistanceships which provide full tuition remission a 1350 a month stipend (for ten months) and health insurance. 20 of these and there is only about 45 students! I got about a 50-50 shot. But remember its not just about the numbers ...you have to be interested in some of the research they are conducting and be able to demonstrate how you plan to use i in your career. That is the most important aspect. So find out what you want to do and look for programs that are researching it or something related to it. call the Grduate Advisors at the programs to get the low down on all that jazz and you will have a better idea of what will work best. U of L also will offer a graduate certificate in RED which is EXACTLY what I wanted to supplement my masters with so Im excited. Louisville is a great city and I need to get out of Cincy as much as I love it here. Sounds weird but Im sure youunderstand. Hope my rant helps. PM if you need some contacts at u of l
    "Inside Joke"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    Hi! I attended Miami University for my freshman year studying planning. I found their planning area was not strong at all, AT ALL... and because of that I transferred to a PAB accredited school (Iowa State) to finish out my planning studies. It's a fantastic school overall (I truly loved my one year there!) but I think you would be better off going somewhere else if you want to pursue planning.

The schools you mentioned are all top-notch. I'm from Indiana and have only heard great things about Ball State's program. It's a pretty big feeder program if you want to work in Indianapolis.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Hey, thanks everyone for the insight! I'm seriously considering Ball St and Louisville. Cindy, could you elaborate on Iowa St? What did you need to get it? Assistanships? Anything?

Thank you so much!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Dec 2010, 4:58 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 29 Sep 2009, 7:12 PM
  3. What do I do now? MPA vs MURP
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 04 Sep 2008, 9:27 AM
  4. Replies: 9