Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: University of New Orleans MURP

University of New Orleans MURP

I don't see very much discussion about this school. I'm basically interested in how good the program is looked at by employers. I am additionally interested in how the university stands today, post-Katrina. I'd love to hear from any current or former students about the school and program, as well as their thoughts on the city of new orleans. Thanks

Registered
    Mar 2004

Oh Yeah!

PASS ME ANOTHER HURRICANE DUDE!

I've forbiden my kids to EVER consider going to school so close to Bourbon Street

Seriously though, if you go, it could be a great opportunity to participate in the rebuilding process. I've never worked with anyone that claimed to have attended UNO
    Skilled Adoxographer
    I have two emotions....Silence and Rage

any current or former students have any input on the school?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I attended UNO and graduated in 2006. I am VERY happy to have attended. I was lucky? enough to be there during & post Katrina. From a planning student perspective it was a wonderful opportunity. We were exposed to experts and planning situations that most people just dream of.

The professors are very active in the local planning scene and have outstanding connections. "Faculty members have served on a variety of local and state-level task forces and commissions, worked with community-based organizations in neighborhood planning and post-disaster capacity building efforts, and participated in the citywide planning portion of the Unified New Orleans Plan funded by the Rockefeller Foundation and the Greater New Orleans Foundation." http://planning.uno.edu/murp.cfm

It is a small department (it used to be its own college but during the post-Katrina reorg it got absorbed by the College of Liberal Arts) which allows for a lot of interaction with the professors. Class sizes are mostly small which I enjoyed. The profs are involved in interesting research and have funding for GAs & RAs. Granted this was pre-Katrina, pre-economic crisis, but I was able to walk into the school in June (I had been accepted for the Fall) speak to two professors, and walk out with a Graduate Assistantship with a relatively decent stipend.

The program requires that you participate in a Capstone project that is community based so you get practical planning experience. (We worked with the Gentilly neighborhood and participated/conducted charrettes, public meetings, etc.)

I think employers looked favorably upon my attendance at UNO. I ended up moving out of the area (would've loved to have stayed but I needed to be closer to my family in NY) and received multiple job offers throughout the east coast. IMO, the recognition of living, grad school, and working in NOLA can help tip the scales in your favor if not for a job offer, but at least for an interview.

I loved NOLA and miss it dearly. I'm heading back to visit in September and can't wait!!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I attended UNO and graduated in 2006. I am VERY happy to have attended. I was lucky? enough to be there during & post Katrina. From a planning student perspective it was a wonderful opportunity. We were exposed to experts and planning situations that most people just dream of.

The professors are very active in the local planning scene and have outstanding connections. "Faculty members have served on a variety of local and state-level task forces and commissions, worked with community-based organizations in neighborhood planning and post-disaster capacity building efforts, and participated in the citywide planning portion of the Unified New Orleans Plan funded by the Rockefeller Foundation and the Greater New Orleans Foundation." http://planning.uno.edu/murp.cfm

It is a small department (it used to be its own college but during the post-Katrina reorg it got absorbed by the College of Liberal Arts) which allows for a lot of interaction with the professors. Class sizes are mostly small which I enjoyed. The profs are involved in interesting research and have funding for GAs & RAs. Granted this was pre-Katrina, pre-economic crisis, but I was able to walk into the school in June (I had been accepted for the Fall) speak to two professors, and walk out with a Graduate Assistantship with a relatively decent stipend.

The program requires that you participate in a Capstone project that is community based so you get practical planning experience. (We worked with the Gentilly neighborhood and participated/conducted charrettes, public meetings, etc.)

I think employers looked favorably upon my attendance at UNO. I ended up moving out of the area (would've loved to have stayed but I needed to be closer to my family in NY) and received multiple job offers throughout the east coast. IMO, the recognition of living, grad school, and working in NOLA can help tip the scales in your favor if not for a job offer, but at least for an interview.

I loved NOLA and miss it dearly. I'm heading back to visit in September and can't wait!!
    I'm currently looking into attending UNO this spring for grad school and I would love to talk more with you about the program. my email address is msjmlewis@aol.com

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. School: New Orleans University of New Orleans
    Student Commons
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 25 Oct 2013, 2:34 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Dec 2012, 9:29 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 02 Dec 2011, 5:03 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last post: 24 Apr 2008, 9:31 PM