Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Social Networking

Registered
    Feb 1998

Social Networking

Face Book, My Space, My Face, whatever. Ok, tell me why. I registered for a few of the networking thingys at the instance of friends (all female). All I see is people with a lot of time to post photos of, well, everything. What mood am I in now? Does anyone really care? I am gald you are "pensive" today.

Then the spam started. JuicyLucy looked at my profile and wants to chat. My profile had NOTHING. I changed my profile to say I was aged 88. A day later I got a personal message for GrumpyGrandma!

I know I am out of touch, but what is the big deal?

Sounds like Myspace..........I don't fool with them anymore. Too much spam, and a generally trashier crowd over there compared to Facebook quite frankly.

I'm on Facebook, and have been since it first got big (about 4 years ago). Yeah, I understand what you mean about people's constant updates. Some people do take it too far, and some also spend way too much time on there. And perhaps I'm guilty of a little Facebook addiction myself.

BUT......the main reason why I maintain a profile is because I have friends who are scattered all across the country, and this will be even more true once I start grad school next year. It's a good, easy way to keep in touch with folks and has some advantages over traditional telephone contact - 1) it's free, 2) people can respond to messages whenever they feel like it, as opposed to trying to set up a time to talk to someone over the phone, and 3) people can share pictures and other personal things in an easy, sort-of "in-your-face" kind of way that makes new information easy to process, if that makes sense. For example, you might tell me over the phone what your new job is or where you live or whatever else you're doing with your life, but seeing that information on a screen and being able to read makes it somewhat easier than trying to listen to and remember what you said over the phone.

Just my two cents as a college student who is an admitted social networking junkie...........

P.S. Haven't joined Twitter yet, but I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about it. I'm trying to tell myself that it would be too much, but I don't know. It's tempting.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I like Facebook and have had it since it was for college people only in 2004. I use it more now since it's opened up to everyone and mainly use it to keep in touch with folks I know and it's been a bit of a mini-reunion for the people I knew in high school and for the reasons Jazzman cited.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I resisted joining Facebook until just a few weeks ago, when my sister forwarded a message from one of our cousins. It turns out that many of my relatives are now on Facebook, and it's a great way to share information, photos, etc.

I also moved around a lot as a kid, and Facebook has allowed me to re-connect with friends from high school and college (both were decades ago). I've been scanning and posting old photos that had been sitting in albums collecting dust. My classmates didn't know, or didn't remember, that these pictures even existed. We've had quite a bit of discussion of memories from the past.

I've noticed that the younger set uses Facebook more extensively to stay in touch with their friends via regular status updates. A couple of my younger relatives in their teens and 20s have hundreds of Friends listed.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I have a Facebook account and a MySpace account. I can't recall the last time I logged into MySpace. The last time I tried to log into Facebook, I couldn't remember the password. I actually have Friend requests waiting for me to figure out how to get back in, mostly folks the CF community. I recently posted an email letting folks know I wasn't ignoring them, I just couldn't recall my password at the moment and had no idea when I would get back into my account.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Haven't checked my MySpace page in months. I know my mailbox there will be filled with spam. I've got a LInkedIn account, but it's not really something I use all too often; it seems to be more for business networking than social networking. I'm not a Facebook addict, but that's my main social networking tool now. I'm connected mainly with Cyburbians, other planners, high school classmates, ex-girlfriends, and friends from Buffalo.

I just signed up for a Twttter account, mainly to reserve my name. Unfortunately, someone already grabbed "cyburbia"; I wanted to have an account for the site, to give status reports if it crashes or otherwise goes down.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I'm on facebook as well and for the same reasons mentioned above. I've got friends and family scattered across the country and now the world. Granted, facebook can be quite inane at times, but it does allow me to keep in touch with people who are close in heart but distant in miles to me now.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    How can your community use social media sites to? Check out my latest blog at...

LinkedIn can be a great way to network with professionals, but I have gotten really tired of the "check out my blog", how to use social media, and disguised advertsing posts. Yes, we want to use the internet and social media as a means of raising awareness, but if a group is nothing mor ethan advertsing, there is no reason to join. I have made a few good contacts through LinkedIn. These have originated through discussions, not some idiot's latest one-line advertisement.

I started a downtown revitalization group on LinkedIn. One decision I made was to contact the people who made these kinds of posts and ask them not to do it, or if they do want to post a notice about something, to put some thought into how to do it in a way that promotes discussion. Unfortunately, LinkedIn does not give me too many tools to enforce that rule.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    I resisted joining Facebook until just a few weeks ago, when my sister forwarded a message from one of our cousins. It turns out that many of my relatives are now on Facebook, and it's a great way to share information, photos, etc.

I also moved around a lot as a kid, and Facebook has allowed me to re-connect with friends from high school and college (both were decades ago). I've been scanning and posting old photos that had been sitting in albums collecting dust. My classmates didn't know, or didn't remember, that these pictures even existed. We've had quite a bit of discussion of memories from the past.

I've noticed that the younger set uses Facebook more extensively to stay in touch with their friends via regular status updates. A couple of my younger relatives in their teens and 20s have hundreds of Friends listed.

I'm always amazed at how people from your distant past will find you on facebook (or maybe you'll find them). For example, a few weeks ago my best friend from freaking KINDERGARTEN requested me to be her friend on fb. I have not seen this girl since I was 6 years old, and she was like, "oh do you remember me? We were best friends in kindergarten!" I laughed because I definitely remembered her, but I certainly didn't expect any friends from that long ago to try to find me online. Come to find out, she works at a department store only a couple of miles away from my house so hopefully I'll run into her sometime.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    The only complaint I have with Twitter is the, "find people", search engine. When I look myself up under safege, I don't come up. If I search under transit, I don't come up. safege_transit is the name I chose. I am on page two, or three on the list of Tim Nelson, but who knows how long that list may get.

Why the underline key messes with search, I don't know. This may be good info for someone thinking about going on to Twitter.
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by safege View post
    Why the underline key messes with search, I don't know. This may be good info for someone thinking about going on to Twitter.
    Thanks for the FYI. I am considering trying Twitter.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Facebok is my social network of choice. Have been on there since I started college in 2005 and have about 500 friends on there now. Everyone from college friends, to high school friends, to people I've met at parties, to colleagues, to politicians, to family, to long-lost childhood friends. It has really grown from being this quirky little thing college kids would use to interact with each other to this all-encompassing thing that just about everyone is on now and that you can do as little or as much as you want with. I've got my profile info, have over 100 pictures, I've joined about 200 groups (mostly political or pop culture in nature, with some special interests thrown in), I've posted some songs and videos on there. I've posted blogs through the "notes" function...allows me to vent about something, write about an experience, write a concert review, write a political throught/letter to the editor-type thing, or post one of those quirky "25 things people don't know about you"-type lists. And it's great for parties and events, which you can create on there, and then invite all your friends. Makes Evite obsolete. I've also found it to be a great tool for a school organization I head up...I just create a group, invite everyone who's in the organization, and we use the Facebook group to interact with each other and keep people posted about what's going on in the group and what's coming up. Then there are the status updates...which is basically the same thing as Twitter. Type in what you're doing at the moment, how you're feeling, how you feel about a current event, share big news, whatever. I don't use that function all that much, but it's nice to have. Facebook's messaging system allow you to send a private message to anyone...makes email almost obsolete. Also great to keep track of people's love-lifes (find out who's single, taken, married, broken up, etc.), which can avoid awkward in-person conversations and create opportunities to try and pursue somebody you just met who you really like, but aren't sure if they're available. And it's great to keep up-to-date on people's birthdays. It's always nice getting 20-30 wall-posts from people wishing you a happy birthday. And in the mean-time, it's a great time-waster...either sifting through your friend's profiles and seeing what everyone's up to, or playing on one of the endless amounts of games, quizzes, and other applications that are available. And the privitazation settings can allow you to keep your Facebook profile as public or as private as you want. I err on the private side, only allowing people who are my friends on Facebook to see my information.

I also joined Myspace back in 2005, but lost interest in it after a couple years, especially as Facebook expanded and evolved to make Myspace obsolete. As others have said, Myspace seemed too trashy and haphazardly put together. Also, all the negative media kind of hurt its image. They also didn't evolve and change with the times like Facebook did to keep things interesting for people. And enough of my friends never joined. Still have an account, but my profile is bare-bones now. My friend-count has dropped considerably, from a combination of de-friending people I don't know and people dropping like flies from the site. Haven't logged in a long time.

I'm also on YouTube and Wikipedia, but don't really use those sites to network with people.

Joined Linkedin earlier this year. But that seems to have not taken off as much. I only have a handful of friends on there, and I just don't know how comfortable I am letting just anybody see the equivalent of a resume. Most of my co-workers aren't on there anyway, so what's the point? I'll probably still keep a profile on there, and may use it more after I graduate, but as of now, I don't go on there much at all.

I'm also on Twitter. It's cool because a lot of organizations, businesses, and famous people are on there and you can see what they're up to, and can have news headlines from all the media outlets you like at your fingertips, via your Twitter feed, sprinkled with updates from your friends. But other than that, I don't really get the point. I don't have a mobile device, so it seems like it's just another website I have to constantly go to to stay up-to-date. Frankly, I usually have better things to do with my time then tell everyone what I'm doing every hour of the day and see what everyone else is doing. It's also kind of pointless since Facebook already has status updates.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I just cancelled my MySpace account. (It's also the Cyburbia Forums account, too.) I just wasn't updating it, got tired of spam, and it seems like most people I know are on Facebook anyhow.

Cyburbia Forums Twitter account: http://twitter.com/cyburbia_forums

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

FB addict here

I have "only" about 200 friends on FB. They run the gamut from the only other person I know who's been editor of two different bicycle magazines (known him 30+ years) and casual acquaintances recently made at the local urban experiments (where I am known as "the tuba lady").

A few nifty incidents:

--Gal I've know from a folk music society since she was a tot posted ultrasounds of "Baby #2." The guy she married is another life-long folkie. I would not ring up either of them to have a conversation, but we chat for a bit at various contra dances. It was fun seeing the pics of the new arrival.

--Recently I posted queries asking for service referrals. Within an hour I had a lead on an attorney, and not just one, but two handy guys.

--Last night I went to a Civil War dance (not one that I was working) and met up with a re-enactor who's been a FB friend for a couple months. We talked. Next year I might get the gig.

--A long-time folkie friend recently lost her battle with leukemia. Her far-flung network of friends is still finding out the sad news, and posting good wishes on her page. Presumably her family will get to see these sometime. (Admittedly it's a little weird to be posting comments on the FB page of someone who, er, no longer has access to a computer.)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Have not gone on myspace or FB.

Has anybody gone on classmates ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have MySpace and Facebook accounts but haven't logged on in months. Maybe I should take a look at the Facebook thingie since I've received several notifications. I'm not that popular.
    Classmates? That sucks.

Tweeter? No clue what that's all about.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I have a FB account and a myspace one i havent looked at in over a year...

I actually met my current BF over myspace, and have resisted deleting the account, but i think i will just get rid of it.

FB is good to keep in contact with people in general, and good when your travelling and friends and relos want to know where you are

Dont forget we have a Cyburbia FB group!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Has anybody gone on classmates ?
    The worst. Too much useless email, even when you're inactive, and you have to pay to do anything useful like check out profiles or read messages.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Classmates is a waste. I have a facebook account, but don't use it like a lot of people do. I don't care who is cleaning, who just got home from camping.... I am learning that a friend of mine communicates more via networking sites than in person, and is a cat lady as well.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    If you're just into social networking, keeping in touch with friends/classmates/family, there's no reason to be on anything else other than Facebook, IMO. I still have a MyFamily account that I started initially as a way to keep in contact with old friends from high school, but its been about a year since I've been on there. We're all on FB now.
    ...my lifestyle determines my death style!
    - Metallica

As others have said, Myspace seemed too trashy and haphazardly put together.

This is the main thing that keeps me away from MySpace.........the people. Not to mention that MySpace is just not appealing to me the way that Facebook is.

The only trashier than MySpace is Craigslist. Now THAT is where you need to stay the hell away from. Craigslist, with its recent incidents of murder-for-hires and rape-for-hires, has really turned into this online den of criminal and deviant behavior.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    I'm on Facebook and I love it. I've moved around the country several times, so Facebook gives me the opportunity to keep up (daily) with my old friends. And most of my cousins have reconnected on Facebook lately -- I'm probably closer to my family out of state now that at any time in my life. It's also great for posting pictures of the kids.

There are some downsides to Facebook --

-- letting anyone from your office 'friend' you. Just don't do it.
    ---becoming friends with your neighbors who post about their sex life everyday. oooh. ick.
    ---when your mother posts something -- always embarassing and totally inapprpriate (at least it is if you have my mother).
    --when you become friends with your best friend from grade school that you haven't talked to in nearly 20 years and find that she's a born again evangelical and you have nothing in common with her (yet worry that what you post will somehow offend her).

I've also be-friended a few cyburbians on facebook and find Cyburbian posts very entertaining (yeah...you Veloise).

Registered
    Aug 2002
    So now we're discussing Facebook on Cyburbia... should we also have a discussion of Cyburbia on Facebook?? Just wonderin'.

Oh, where does it all end?

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    (goes to FB to post stuff on RJ's and SSA's pages)

Craigslist is more of an on-line classified site, not social networking. Just stay away from the personals.
    (I have put up an ad for my side-yard asteroid on there.)

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm a facebook user. I fit into the 20-something crowd in that I use a daily status update to keep up with friends that are now scattered all over the damn place. I went through the quiz faze, just like most users do, but tend to keep things simple for now. I restrict my time on there to lunch breaks and my two fifteen minute breaks. I've also noticed that it provides a soft way for people to give certain news that isn't always fun to repeat over & over to each friend (relationship issues, deaths, etc.). I've discovered things in common with friends that I never realized because I tend to keep certain topics off-limits (i.e. politics with some). I've also found a couple of close friends that I lost touch with after high school due to frequent relocations. I've enjoyed getting to peek into the daily lives of my brothers and my nieces & nephews, who like to post videos & pictures from soccer games, scout projects and other kid programs.

Of course, there is the other side. My mom joined facebook, and then deleted her account about a week after befriending me and my two brothers. I think she found out more about us than a conservative mother like mine really wanted to know.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 19 Sep 2012, 1:15 PM
  2. Networking/conversations
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 30 Dec 2010, 3:37 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 06 Jun 2008, 11:05 AM
  4. Networking in Tampa?