Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Infill development standards

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Infill development standards

Anyone have any good Infill development standards for a small city's original nieghborhoods. I'm talking old house razing, for new construction as well as the development of empty lots. Residential only.

Prana, any ideas? This could be happening right in your area...

I have a meeting on the topic of implementing design standards and other regs as some infill development has gone the way of standing out in the older 'hoods. Plus I want to sound smart at the meeting
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005

infill housing

Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Anyone have any good Infill development standards for a small city's original nieghborhoods. I'm talking old house razing, for new construction as well as the development of empty lots. Residential only.

Prana, any ideas? This could be happening right in your area...

I have a meeting on the topic of implementing design standards and other regs as some infill development has gone the way of standing out in the older 'hoods. Plus I want to sound smart at the meeting
    First you may need to look at your local zoning. Make sure you can build on the lot with the smaller frontage. We had that problem around here until the zoning regs. were rewritten for the areas where the infill is happening. Saves the headache of variances. Go to http://www.pathnet.org/ or just google pathnet. Go to the search area type in what you need example: infill housing zoning. You will find all kinds of reports ,studies ,best practices etc... May give you ideas. Good Luck!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Here are some links to explore:

http://www.enterprisefoundation.org/...RD/default.asp

http://www.mrsc.org/Publications/infill1.pdf#search='design%20and%20development%20infill%20housing'

http://www.greenbelt.org/downloads/r...martinfill.pdf
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

There is a book "Good Neighbors" or something very similar, and I believe it was published by those good folks in Fort Collins. Somebody stole my copy, but it is an excellent primer on infill in architecturally significant neighborhoods.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    The latest copy of "Zoning news" has an article on this very topic... written by lane kendig. Our office passed a copy around- not sure if you can get it online or not.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Moving to Zoning, since, in the words of the OP:

"Anyone have any good Infill development standards"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm assuming that you're not talking about the Lincoln Center but maybe the Feed & grain building? 4 stories with 100 units in the new building sounds like a lot and will definitely raise some eyebrows in the 'hood, but I'm all for it if it's a quality project.
    I'll get back to this topic when I have a minute.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    We are in the approval process right now, trying to adopt standards for new homes on infill lots on the older neighborhoods. We've had an extreme rash of poorly designed houses with nothing but a garage door on a street right in the middle of 50, 60, 70 year old beautiful houses with large front porches and maybe a detached garage in the back. The home builders tell us this is what the customer wants. I ask them if they offer anything else and they don't seem to have an answer for that one. Just really ruins the neighborhood and the builder never cares.

But I digress, anyways, the ordinance is up for adoption by our Council on September 7th. Feel free to contact me after then and if it's been adopted, I'd be happy to send you a copy of the ordinance.
    You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

BUMP September 27, 2006

Wanted to BUMP this, as I am laying some groundwork to maybe create something for my office. This will occur when building slows and we;ve got to focus on other things, but I wanted something to read to fill the gaps.

The previous information I gathered from the other posts in this thread helped immensely, just wondering if the Throbbing BrainTM has anything new.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Heck with zoning, go with a Form-based Code!

Look at what’s around it, and require that the new construction have the similar character, build-to lines, parking, and architectural styles of the surrounding buildings.

http://www.formbasedcodes.org/
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    We require a FAR that is the average of all the FAR's within 300' of the lot - that way, existing neighborhood "bulk" is maintianed in demo/rebuilds or infill's - FAR's can be modified if affordable units by deed are provided (20% buys you more bulk)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 20 Jun 2007, 12:08 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 14 Feb 2007, 6:44 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 07 Dec 2006, 10:33 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 Jan 2003, 5:33 PM
  5. Housing infill development permit
    Make No Small Plans