Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The TEMPORARY Beer Thread

Registered
    Nov 2005

The TEMPORARY Beer Thread

I started to get tremors because I haven't been able to read the NEVERENDING Beer Thread today. Does that mean I have a problem? ???

Goin' camping this weekend, and I have two growlers of East End Brewing Harvest IPA in the cooler. East End is a small brewery in Pittsburgh. From the website:

Quote Originally posted by eastendbrewing.com
    Big Hop HARVEST Ale - Each fall, I take your year-round favorite, Big Hop IPA and do something really special to it to celebrate the September hop harvest. There’s a small window where I can get fresh-picked, undried, green, local hops to toss into the kettle. These “wet hops” provide a truly unique flavor and aroma, almost like the smell of freshly cut grass – if your lawn was completely planted with American hops! Available sometime late September/early October and lasting until it’s all gone.
    This is some seriously good stuff, but it's only available in kegs or growlers locally. There are other "harvest" brews out there though (Great Divide, Sierra Nevada, and Rogue to name a few) if you want to give them a try.

Zman - I think you said you are going to the GABF this weekend. Dogfish Head's Fed-Extra Mild is supposed to be really good. It's only available at their brewpub, but they supposedly sent some to the GABF too.

Registered
    May 2003

Re: The TEMPORARY Beer Thread

Random Beer Post:

This Saturday my girlfriend and I are heading up to visit Taliesin near Spring Green, WI. On the way back, we're heading over to the New Glarus Brewery,

WOO HOO!

Sorry for the unbridled enthusiasm but I always enjoy a brewery tour. Hopefully they have tasting and sampling, I'm only really familiar with their 'Spotted Cow'

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Quote Originally posted by jmac
    Zman - I think you said you are going to the GABF this weekend. Dogfish Head's Fed-Extra Mild is supposed to be really good. It's only available at their brewpub, but they supposedly sent some to the GABF too.
    Dogfish has a sizeable booth at this year's GABF according to the map. I will, of course be a regular at their booth tomorrow.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004

Winter is my favorite time of year, but fall is a very close second. It seems like every outdoor activity is so much more enjoyable with the cooler weather, the fall colors, etc. The one thing I don't like is the days getting shorter, butthat just means winter is that much closer.

And nothing beats going to a football game on a crisp autumn day.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003

Quote Originally posted by jmac
    I started to get tremors because I haven't been able to read the NEVERENDING Beer Thread today. Does that mean I have a problem? ???
    Delirium Tremens maybe?.... Damn no beer emoticon! How are we going to survive these hard times in our temporary shelter without beer! Nooooo! :P

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Pumpkin Ale is in season! Not bad stuff at all.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Nov 2005

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Pumpkin Ale is in season! Not bad stuff at all.
    Definitely try the Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale. It's tasty.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Is it just me or does anyone else think the flavors of pumpkin and beer should be kept separate? Maybe I should try one.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Nov 2005

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Is it just me or does anyone else think the flavors of pumpkin and beer should be kept separate? Maybe I should try one.
    Even though many of them are actually made with pumpkins, they usually just have a pleasant, pumpkin-pie spice to them.

OT: Thanks to the magic of Google, here is a pumpkin wine: http://www.cranberrywine.com/pumpkinwine.html. Good for poolside sipping in the fall, maybe?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

A TRAGEDY!!!

I am in mourning...

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/US/10/03....ap/index.html

Beer drinkers beware: 4 percent of U.S. hops crop burns

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2004

Honorable mention category:
    Big Porch Ale - brewed by Bell's specially for the Grand Hotel up in Mackinaw. They've been dumping the surplus at fire-sale prices at Meijer. Bought a six pack a couple weeks ago and figured this summer ale would be experiencing early skunk by now but was pleasantly surprised to discover a well-balanced medium to light bodied ale instead. Buy it quick while it's still on the shelves (and before it gets too much older)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Beer Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1714
    Last post: 17 Dec 2014, 3:39 PM
  2. The NEVERENDING beer price thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 17 Feb 2014, 2:34 PM
  3. Replies: 78
    Last post: 05 Jul 2013, 2:16 PM