Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Meeting with grad school faculty for 2007 admission, what to ask?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Meeting with grad school faculty for 2007 admission, what to ask?

I'm leaving on my bachelor road trip with a friend to the PAc NW next week. I am also visiting three schools with a MURP program and meeting with the faculty.
    I want to show them that I took the time to go to the school a year ahead and look around. I also want to discuss my previous work and school experience as well as what I wish to study.
    I am thinking that a informal meeting with a faculty member or department head will help in my admission to a MURP program as my undergrad grades were a little subpar. Should I discuss my undergrad marks?

What do you think>?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Re: Meeting with grad school faculty for 2007 admission, what to ask?

At this early point in the process, I wouldn't bring GPA up, unless you did particularly well in your major. There'll be a chance to explain how certain courses (or parties, or girls, or skiing) doomed your overall GPA later on. Good luck with the meetings. Where are you looking, if you don't mind my asking?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

This leg of the trip will be looking at the Univ. of Washington in Seattle, Portland State and Univ. of Oregon.

Christmastime I will be looking at Eastern Washington.

But the way the realestate market is looking in Northern Colorado, CU-Denver might be a wise choice for the next couple of years.

I will just ask some basic questions of them, and maybe ask to sit in on a class (if one is being held).
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Quote Originally posted by Zman
    .... Should I discuss my undergrad marks?

What do you think>?
    Naw, the marks will wash out. Pre-treat with Spray and Wash then launder as you normally would.
    Always ask for the location of the nearest bathroom to avoid this issue.
    Oh wait, never mind....you're talking about something else. :-[
    What would RJ do?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 21 Jun 2012, 12:18 PM
  2. Grad school low GPA
    Student Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Jun 2012, 2:22 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Dec 2010, 7:53 AM