Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Intelligent city

BANNED
    Registered
    Oct 2006

Intelligent city

hello...i'm new here and a beginner in this field (planning). i want to ask anyone here if u have your own opinion in "intelligent city". does it have the criteria of becoming a "good city"?i've read about the dimensions of "good city form" by Kevin Lynch but could not diagnose them.
    i live in Malaysia, where Putrajaya (the intelligent city) is located. has anyone been there?what is your opinion then?do u think this city is a "good city"?

Registered
    Jul 2006

Smart City

Quote Originally posted by miss.anf View post
    hello...i'm new here and a beginner in this field (planning). i want to ask anyone here if u have your own opinion in "intelligent city". does it have the criteria of becoming a "good city"?i've read about the dimensions of "good city form" by Kevin Lynch but could not diagnose them.
    i live in Malaysia, where Putrajaya (the intelligent city) is located. has anyone been there?what is your opinion then?do u think this city is a "good city"?
    Intelligent City views bandwidth as essential utility. Just like electricity, potable water supply and other utilities to sustain its economic growth and benefit to the public consumption.
    The concept is to make that community has access to advanced information and communication services. IT plays a vital role in this concept, making every citizen and business partners aware towards information age, embracing these technologies in their own day-today lives.

Here are some criteria for an intelligent City;
    1.Does it demonstrate a comprehensive IT strategy that utilizes broadband network as its backbone?
    2. Does it must have a number of busineses actively utilizing broadband technology?
    3. Did it address to improve the city's overall quality of life?

If you felt this has changed your lifestyle better as citizen of that place, then you can call it "Intelligent City".

BANNED
    Registered
    Oct 2006

Sense or Perception

Does it take into account the people's perception on its existence? I mean, I'm not one of its residents (just a neighbor), is my clarity on its purposes of existence can be considered also?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Urban renewal as "intelligent cities"?
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 Jan 2011, 10:54 AM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 21 May 2008, 12:39 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 28 Nov 2005, 4:17 PM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last post: 20 Jun 2005, 2:26 PM
  5. Replies: 51
    Last post: 15 Nov 2003, 2:50 PM