Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Property maintenance / appearance based zoning regulations

Registered
    Feb 2002

Property maintenance / appearance based zoning regulations

The City has our zoning ordinance and has adopted the International Property Maintenance Code, but it seems that our City Council (or at least a few of them) want to see more teeth to requiring upkeep to a property. We already cover parking in the front lawn, motor vehicle repair only in a garage, lawn height, etc., but they are irritated by what they consider junk - porches and lawns filled with furniture, toys, etc.

I'm not looking at form based zoning, but rather property maintenance type of codes. What in particular do they want to see, we are not sure. I don't know that you can regulate pride of ownership (unfortunately!).

Does anyone have any particular ordinance that deals with the appearance of the property that is not directly related to public health, safety, and welfare of the community?

Registered
    Nov 2002

Re: Property maintenance / appearance based zoning regulations

Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    Does anyone have any particular ordinance that deals with the appearance of the property that is not directly related to public health, safety, and welfare of the community?
    I think what they want to acheive is best done through private convenants. The phrase
    ....not directly related to public health, safety and welfare of the community.
    throws up lots of red flags for me.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    May 2003

Re: Property maintenance / appearance based zoning regulations

Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    The City has our zoning ordinance and has adopted the International Property Maintenance Code, but it seems that our City Council (or at least a few of them) want to see more teeth to requiring upkeep to a property. We already cover parking in the front lawn, motor vehicle repair only in a garage, lawn height, etc., but they are irritated by what they consider junk - porches and lawns filled with furniture, toys, etc.

I'm not looking at form based zoning, but rather property maintenance type of codes. What in particular do they want to see, we are not sure. I don't know that you can regulate pride of ownership (unfortunately!).

Milwaukee, WI enacted an ordinance in 2001 to address this issue. Even before Milwaukee I've been told that Wilson, NC has enacted a similiar ordinance.

As far as the Milwaukee ordinance, the idea was to prevent outdoor junk like indoor furniture or appliances from being stored on porches or on the property(outside of course). I believe the language of the ordinance refers to eliminating potential nesting sites for rodents, insects, and other animals and to eliminate potential fuel for fires.

Good luck

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 31 Oct 2012, 12:18 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 24 Apr 2010, 12:39 AM
  3. Property maintenance regulations
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 16 Dec 2008, 11:21 AM
  4. Replies: 13