Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why a 17 year old Venezuelan is my new hero!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow

Why a 17 year old Venezuelan is my new hero!

Now this kid has my serious respect and it is a shame that he got arrested.

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) -- A 17-year-old has been detained by Venezuelan authorities after hacking into multiple government Web sites and posting playful photos of President Hugo Chavez and his close ally, Cuba's Fidel Castro, on some of them.
    The boy modified 23 Web sites -- including those of the vice president's office, the National Guard and the investigative police -- between December 30 and 31, Oswaldo Guevara, the investigative police's head of computer-related crimes, said Friday.
    CNN LINK

Now if we could encourage someone in Iran and North Korea to do the same... oh wait North Korea does not have computers or the Internet.
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post

CNN LINK

Now if we could encourage someone in Iran and North Korea to do the same... oh wait North Korea does not have computers or the Internet.

Hell, he needs to break into the White House, Pentagon, Congress, Supreme Court and Wall Street Stock Exchange websites. That would be sweet.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post

Maybe I missed something, why is defacement of government websites worthy of respect?

If it was a funny picture maybe it was worth a laugh, but that's about it.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    It doesn't sound very Catholic to me.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    thou shall not covet thy governments websites!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2004
    OTOH, with the way things are going with Chavez, there won't be legal 'net access for the masses in Venezuela within a few short years. He's already served notice that his country's press is no longer 'free', with the upcoming forced closure of Caracas' most popular opposition TV station.

Sad days indeed are coming for that part of the World.

Mike

Although I think it is funny that this kid did this ... I would think it is funny too if our own White House got hacked and funny pictures of the Prez were posted.

Yes, Chavez is an idiot.... but he is a democratically elected idiot.

Again, as I have said in other posts.... I have family in Venezuela and travel there often.... the people of Venezuela are fantastic, the landscape is beautiful and it is a great place to be..... I just hope Bush does not have any plans for Venezuela like he F*&ked up Iraq.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    He is an elected terrorist dictator and his Government gets no respect from me. So many people bash Bush on this site, yet when it comes to a what realistically is a harmless prank (He swapped some photos) people are feeling bad for this jerk (Original version had choice words), yet they are willing to spew hatred towards the leader of this county.

Weather you find it right or wrong (and yes, it was wrong but funny), it sounds like there are a lot of people who make hypocritical posts on this forum board.

And last I checked, the Bible and the Catholic Church does not have a stance on internet related crimes unless they cause great physical harm.

Sad thing is this kid, will in all likelihood be beating within an inch of his live... or beyond.
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    I don't wish make light of a dictatorship, which is an incredibly serious issue, and has been noted by several posters.

This is a list that I came up with for a local political thread after the word "terrorist" got thrown around from all sides. I did try to include everybody, including myself at the end.

The Arab terrorists believe that patriotism and religion trump capitalism.
    Environmental terrorists believe that the environment trumps capitalism.
    Libertarian terrorists (few and far between) believe that freedom trumps capitalism.
    Computer hacker terrorists believe that freedom trumps government.
    Neo con terrorists believe that democracy trumps religous tribalism (tribes would not be my word, but I'm told it is the correct term).
    Bad driver terrorists believe that driving trumps licensing.
    Fertilizer bomb terrorists believe freedom trumps democracy.
    Religous terrorists believe religion trumps everything.
    Ludite terrorists believe paper trumps computer software.
    Suspended rail terrorists believe their products trumps non-automated light rail.
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    It doesn't sound very Catholic to me.
    Are you just teasing him about his religion for no reason or am I missing something?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop View post
    Are you just teasing him about his religion for no reason or am I missing something?
    Off-topic:
    Yeah, but that comment was made before both Maister's "Great Rodney King Hissy" occurred http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...947#post360947 and before the "Great Age of Assent" began (and that Era began on 1/5/07 at precisely 1:34 EST)http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27789

You see, from now on everyone is going to treat everyone else on Cyburbia with great respect and deference and no one will ever take a jab at anyone else unless it's well understood that their doing so is in fun.

(okay, I'll put a here but a mod can still dream, can't he?)
    Last edited by Maister; 08 Jan 2007 at 10:38 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planificador Urbano View post
    Although I think it is funny that this kid did this ... I would think it is funny too if our own White House got hacked and funny pictures of the Prez were posted.

Yes, Chavez is an idiot.... but he is a democratically elected idiot.

Again, as I have said in other posts.... I have family in Venezuela and travel there often.... the people of Venezuela are fantastic, the landscape is beautiful and it is a great place to be..... I just hope Bush does not have any plans for Venezuela like he F*&ked up Iraq.
    I'm a little worried about some of the things that Chavez is doing. From an outside perspective, he seems to be making a power grab. Now he want's to change the constitution to allow for a third term. Are you concerned that he is getting to powerful?
    Trying to get my grubby hands on as much stimulus money as I can.:D

Yes I am concerned he is making a power grab, he has made a mockery of the country and is very corupt. The problem is he keeps getting reelected. This is a case of which happens foar too often..... THE MAJORITY IS NOT ALWAYS RIGHT!

I just look at many other countrys, including our own, where the best candidate lost the elections.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. NASCAR hero worship
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 30 Aug 2005, 9:28 PM
  2. Who’s your hero / idol?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 19 Jul 2005, 12:43 PM
  3. Zoning: Villain and Hero
    Land Use and Zoning