+ Reply to thread

Thread: Customer Service Sucks

Registered
    Apr 2003

Customer Service Sucks

My treo has been getting progressively more 'emotional' over the past few months, and today, it just about went swimming with the fishes. I can upgrade my phone, but I wanted to know why the blackberry I wanted was more expensive with Alltel than it was with Verizon only to learn that starting tomorrow, they will be the same price.

So, let me get this right, in less than 12 hours, I could come back into this store, buy this phone, and it will be about half the price, but I can't get that price now?

COME THE F on, am I asking too much for customer service?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    May 2005

Re: Customer Service Sucks

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    My treo has been getting progressively more 'emotional' over the past few months, and today, it just about went swimming with the fishes. I can upgrade my phone, but I wanted to know why the blackberry I wanted was more expensive with Alltel than it was with Verizon only to learn that starting tomorrow, they will be the same price.

So, let me get this right, in less than 12 hours, I could come back into this store, buy this phone, and it will be about half the price, but I can't get that price now?

Woah buddy!!.......I completely understand the frustration.

But think of it in these terms. How often does a gallon of milk sell for 3.99 at Meijer on Saturday, but then 12 hours later on Sunday it sells on sale for 2.99? You wouldn't yell at the Meijer employee because of corporate's sales for that week.

Or maybe you would. ;D

On the other hand, I have Alltel phones, and I've been told things by reps and then I'll go back three days later and get a whole different story.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Alltel and Verizon are merging later this year, she typed knowingly.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis

They should be able to price adjust. Recently I've taken to saying "Excuse me, can you just please put down the script, listen to me, and think about this using a little common sense?"

I am having issues with ATT currently. I lost my phone two weeks ago, had to go get a new SIM card but they had problems activating it. I was informed by the tech support people that it would be an estimated 14 days for it to be resolved which is not acceptable at all. After some heated exchanged service was marginally restored but still having problems receiving calls. I call tech support and they aren't taking calls at this time! WTF? Good thing I shouted at them for free month of service before.

"He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2007

AT&T angers me. I had AT&T for DSL service from the fall of 2007 until last summer. I then dropped the service and picked up cable an internet from the local cable company. This week I dropped the cable, $101/mo is not worth it for the crap that is on cable anyway, especially with sites like Hulu and my Netflix.

Since I still need internet, I went back to DSL with AT&T. Now the modem/router I bought in fall 2007 from AT&T to use their service is on the fritz. So I decide to call the customer service line to ask if they can send me a new modem. After getting the run around that the modem cant be replaced because it's out of warranty, I finally get transferred to a department that says yes they can replace my modem with the exact model I have now, 10 minutes later the guy with broken english states that he cannot replace the modem with the same model, but instead just a modem without a router or wireless capabilities. I state very calmly that will not work for how my home network is set up and how it is not fair that I have to pay for a new modem when the one I have has been used for less than 8 months in total. I finally get transferred to another department, which the automated system tells me is closed! > I SPENT OVER 90 MINUTES ON THE PHONE!!!!

Now I am on the phone again this morning not only for the modem, but also about the speed of my internet. I am paying for 3MB service, yet all my speed tests are coming back with speeds around .33MB.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I had to pick up a can of paint yesterday and the paint person at the big box with the blue logo was not helpful at all. I asked about which paint I should use, and of course she tried to sell me on the two most expensive cans, both of the local store brand. I asked about the quality level below that. She told me that it would not work with my application (painting tan over a different (lighter) shad of tan). When I asked if she could tell me more about that paint, she said "No, I will only tell you about A and B... if you want to know about C, go find a can and read the label." They must get a massive kickback on each sale they make because she was worse than a use car salesman.

I read the label, figured out which base I needed, and brought a can of option C back to the counter and she gave me even more attitude making it sound like it was gong to be next to impossible to make usable paint out of the crap in the can. C was 1/3 of the cost of A and 1/2 the cost of B.

I had a coupon, the big box with the orange logo was way out of my way, and the paint sample came from that store... otherwise I would have walked out. I did inform the manager who also gave me attitude about it.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I had to pick up a can of paint yesterday and the paint person at the big box with the blue logo was not helpful at all. I asked about which paint I should use, and of course she tried to sell me on the two most expensive cans, both of the local store brand. I asked about the quality level below that. She told me that it would not work with my application (painting tan over a different (lighter) shad of tan). When I asked if she could tell me more about that paint, she said "No, I will only tell you about A and B... if you want to know about C, go find a can and read the label." They must get a massive kickback on each sale they make because she was worse than a use car salesman.

I read the label, figured out which base I needed, and brought a can of option C back to the counter and she gave me even more attitude making it sound like it was gong to be next to impossible to make usable paint out of the crap in the can. C was 1/3 of the cost of A and 1/2 the cost of B.

I had a coupon, the big box with the orange logo was way out of my way, and the paint sample came from that store... otherwise I would have walked out. I did inform the manager who also gave me attitude about it.
    Send an email to the VP of customer service. That treatment was unacceptable.

I wanted 100% cotton shirts and Kmart, of all places, was the only place I could find what I wanted, and they were $6.50 each. The order process wasn't smooth, and later in the day I got an email that my order shipped, and another that said the items were out of stock and my order was cancelled. The cancellation email said that my money would be refunded in 10-14 days, and that made me mad. My email went to the VP and I got VIP treatment after that. I got my shirts in 2 days and they're sending me a gift card which I hope can be used at sears.

I didn't complain in order to get the gift card. I've filed complaints at other places and refused a gift card because my complaining is a way to notify businesses that something went wrong. I also send emails if I'm particularly happy with a business.

Registered
    Jan 2009

I'd run it up to some upper level manager. They do take pride in their customer service and it's one of the things they want to have better than the orange store. You just got a crappy employee. I usually avoid the orange and blue stores because of a lack of knowledge and poor service, but the blue store in my town actually has somewhat knowledgeable people. I still pick things out myself though, mostly because I know I can use the value paint and it'll work fine. Especially if you use two coats.

FYI, I saw the tin stamped wallpaper...don't do it, get the real stuff.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    I'd run it up to some upper level manager. They do take pride in their customer service and it's one of the things they want to have better than the orange store. You just got a crappy employee.
    Way back many years ago after I learned that my time in the service was not as valuable as the recruiter promised, I went into customer service for a Fortune 500 company and then one of the then-largest banks of its type in the country. If you work for a company that takes the time to train you well to do good customer service, you'll be good at it. If you don't, you'll flail and be sad, and the customer will too. That is: not an easy job and many companies just give customer service...erm...lip service. IME these days you are lucky when you get good service. Don't be mad at the person. likely there are several barriers in their way & not their fault.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I relate the expected level of service to the place I'm at and I constantly remind the wife who always expects service. If you're at Denny's expect a Denny's level of service. Be happy the coffee isn't cold. If you're at the Ritz Carlton, expect a higher level of service. If you complain at Denny's people will listen long enough for you to go away, if you complain at the Ritz they'll at least pretend to care. When you get good service at anyplace, just thank the person helping you, because it's more from the person than the company in my book.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I relate the expected level of service to the place I'm at and I constantly remind the wife who always expects service. If you're at Denny's expect a Denny's level of service. Be happy the coffee isn't cold. If you're at the Ritz Carlton, expect a higher level of service. If you complain at Denny's people will listen long enough for you to go away, if you complain at the Ritz they'll at least pretend to care. When you get good service at anyplace, just thank the person helping you, because it's more from the person than the company in my book.
    While I agree with you, I also that that it is sad that we live in a society like that. This is half the reason that I choose not to get food at fast food restaurants unless I absolutely need to. (The other half is the food sucks)

It's because of customer service issues that I'll never have anything to do with AT&T. Delta customer service used to suck but has gotten a lot better. Now if they could just work on the scheduling planes and over booking.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Mrs. P refuses to deal with Charter Communications - which we are stuck with in this area for cable. She had such a horrible experience with them before we were married and gets very mad when she even talks about them. It's wholly my responsibility to deal with them on any issues.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Funny, but I was just thinking of that yesterday when standing in line (as usual, a long line) at the dominant grocery chain in the area. I seldom shop, and go out of my way to avoid their stores. More than once I have abandoned a shopping cart and left the store because of poor customer service. So last night as I waited I was thinking to myself that Woodman's Aldi, and Trader Joes all have better prices and better service, and this place that tries to be the "best" grocery in town is really the worst on both of these measures.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jan 2013

There's literally nothing the guy at the front counter can do. He probably thinks its really stupid too. He probably feels like an idiot having to tell you that, yes, you must wait a day. Don't berate low-level employees people. I regularly get blamed by customers for things that I have zero knowledge or power over. It sucks. You live life constantly wondering if that one customer is going to give your boss a twisted version of the story and get you fired.

Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    They should be able to price adjust. Recently I've taken to saying "Excuse me, can you just please put down the script, listen to me, and think about this using a little common sense?"
    In the case of my customer service position, its script, or you don't work here anymore. You don't. put. down. that. script.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Vancity View post
    There's literally nothing the guy at the front counter can do. He probably thinks its really stupid too. He probably feels like an idiot having to tell you that, yes, you must wait a day. Don't berate low-level employees people. I regularly get blamed by customers for things that I have zero knowledge or power over. It sucks. You live life constantly wondering if that one customer is going to give your boss a twisted version of the story and get you fired.
    That is a bit of an old story and I checked later with the manager at Alltel, and they said that there is an override that Managers could do in those situations and that his employees were aware of it, but when he asked his employee about it (the one that I spoke with) that employee admitted that he did not want to deal with calling the manager.

I admit that I was a bit overly hostel towards that person. Since then I have learned to become a nicer person to employees. That is why I did not go off on the paint person at Lowes.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 14
    Last post: 11 Aug 2006, 4:07 PM
  2. Good Customer Service!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 27 Jun 2005, 3:47 AM
  3. Customer Service Questionnaire
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 17 Nov 2004, 7:48 PM