Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Federal agencies: do you work here or know anyone who does?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006

Federal agencies: do you work here or know anyone who does?

I am still working on federal job applications this week and am targeting several different agencies including, but not limited to:

Amtrak
    USDA (including Natural Resources Conservation Service. Rural Business Cooperative Service, Rural Development, Rural Housing Service, Rural Utilities Service
    DoC (including Census Bureau)
    DoD (including Army Corps of Engineers)
    DoE (including Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Nuclear Waste Technical Review Board)
    General Services Administration
    HUD
    Department of the Interior (including Bureau of Land Management, Fish and Wildlife Service, Forest Service, National Park Service, USGS)
    DoL (including Bureau of Labor Statistics)
    USDOT (including FHA, FRA, FTA, NHTSA, Bureau of Transportation Statistics, Maritime Administration, Surface Transportation Board)
    EPA
    National Capital Planning Commission
    National Institute of Standards and Technology
    Small Business Administration
    Social Security Administration
    Tennessee Valley Authority
    White House Office of Administration

I would be very grateful if anyone with info on these agencies could PM me (or if you know someone I should talk to). I would really like to learn more about these agencies. My intent is not to nag you about job openings (if there are any that's a bonus). Obviously, I am more interested in planning and planning-related areas of the agencies. If anyone knows of other agencies I am leaving out, please tell me. I am a little curious about the Department of Homeland Security but have little to no interest with FEMA (sorry Chet).

On a separate note, does anyone have recommendations for books on the federal job search? Right now I am reading through Ten Steps to a Federal Job: How to Land a Job in the Obama Administration by Kathryn Troutman (2009). The book is very informative, and I am taking a bunch of notes on it.

Thanks again-
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Forest Service is USDA, not DOI.

I work for the Park Service (not in a planning capacity, but for a park that has several major infrastructure projects in the works). Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Registered
    Nov 2008
    I work for the Park Service as an Outdoor Recreation Planner. I don't mind answering questions.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I volunteered for USDA SCS (now NRCS) between my junior and senior years in college. Every job since has come from that experience. In Pennsylvania, NRCS works closely with conservation districts, and many conservation districts have diverse programs, not limited to agriculture. Good luck.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Urban renewal agencies
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 May 2009, 3:13 PM
  2. Planning recruiters, employment agencies, etc..?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 14 Oct 2008, 11:48 PM
  3. Public agencies being sued
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 24 Aug 2008, 8:16 PM
  4. Planning agencies where firings are common
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 Feb 2007, 11:09 AM
  5. Redevelopment agencies