Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: LEED interest in Australia?

Registered
    Jul 2009

LEED interest in Australia?

I am an American certified planner and a LEED accredited professional under the US Green Building Council. In a recent Green Source magazine article, I came across a LEED building in Melbourne and a recent review of the database shows one building registered in Sydney.

Has LEED taken off in Australia like it has in the US? Is it beneficial in the job market to be a planner that is also a LEED AP? From the GBCA website, it looks like Green Star is the rating system of choice, but I just thought I would check.

Registered
    Mar 2009
    I have never heard of the LEED concept till I stumbled over it on Cyburbia. It has never been mentioned at University or in research that I have done. I think the equivalent in Australia is the Green star rating system administered by the Green Building Council of Australia Here is the list of rating systems used worldwide.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Thanks, Woolley. I was hoping LEED AP would mean something internationally....but from the looks of it, it's a US/Canada thing only.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    Hi Roaming,

The equivalent of LEED in NSW is the BASIX assement system. If there is something Oz planning does right its sustainability issues. There is a great new book out by Timothy Beatley (American planning/env professor) comparing the Oz/US sustainability and planning systems. Its called Green Urbanism Down under. Might give you some kind of comparison.

Unfortunately the market is really slow right now (as everywhere else) and employers are being real choosy and prefer local experience. You can probably land a contract role in environmental planning, just brush up on the Victorian planning legislation as that is key to landing a role. Good luck!

Registered
    Mar 2009
    That is really freaky, I have that book on my desk 50cm away from me. It is worth the $70 dollar price tag

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    $70!! Yikes! Im gonna let you in on a little secret, Amazon.com. They ship to Oz and depending on the Aussie dollar you will save heaps! They will only ship books and not the other items.

Registered
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally posted by expat123 View post
    $70!! Yikes! Im gonna let you in on a little secret, Amazon.com. They ship to Oz and depending on the Aussie dollar you will save heaps! They will only ship books and not the other items.

Thanks expat, I am well aware of Amazon and Abebooks. I am going to buy my lecture readings before classes start from now on

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by expat123 View post
    Hi Roaming,

The equivalent of LEED in NSW is the BASIX assement system. If there is something Oz planning does right its sustainability issues. There is a great new book out by Timothy Beatley (American planning/env professor) comparing the Oz/US sustainability and planning systems. Its called Green Urbanism Down under. Might give you some kind of comparison.

Unfortunately the market is really slow right now (as everywhere else) and employers are being real choosy and prefer local experience. You can probably land a contract role in environmental planning, just brush up on the Victorian planning legislation as that is key to landing a role. Good luck!

Thanks so much! I will pick up this book immediately!

Registered
    Mar 2009
    Good to see the first 6 Star Education building at Bond University's School of Sustainable Development. I wish I could learn in that building

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Conflict of Interest
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 13 Sep 2013, 1:47 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 25 Feb 2013, 8:54 PM
  3. The public interest
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 22 Feb 2008, 6:26 PM