+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: San Luis Obispo, Ca

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    and ur point is?
    "Discussion about specific cities, their attributes, comparisons between different cities, and related subjects. Urban photos are welcome."

I'm moving away from SLO's attributes and comparing it with other cities to talking about it in general. Anyone that would like to talk about SLO, please go on ahead.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by urban19 View post
    ....I'm moving away from SLO's attributes and comparing it with other cities to talking about it in general....
    I think I understand your message because I see the contriduction. That scares me.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I think I understand your message because I see the contriduction. That scares me.
    I think everyone gets the point. So if you don't have anything to say about San Luis Obispo, then you can just leave this thread. If it's a message directed to me, then you can pm me.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I think everyone gets the point. So if you don't have anything to say about San Luis Obispo, then you can just leave this thread. If it's a message directed to me, then you can pm me.
    actually you my friend haven't really said a whole lot about this town other than a few factorids about "retail" a university.. blah blah blah. can you explain to me,as a "soon to be planner" what makes slo a "place?" what makes it so special as compared to say oh I dunno buffalo,ny from a planning perspective. and please avoid the whole "retail, mall" thing because that has gotten old really fast...
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    actually you my friend haven't really said a whole lot about this town other than a few factorids about "retail" a university.. blah blah blah. can you explain to me,as a "soon to be planner" what makes slo a "place?" what makes it so special as compared to say oh I dunno buffalo,ny from a planning perspective. and please avoid the whole "retail, mall" thing because that has gotten old really fast...
    I haven't been to Buffalo, New York but I would guess that Buffalo, NY doesnt have a mission, hilly scenery, one of the top universities in the nation, or a suburban-feeling downtown.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    suburban-feeling downtown.
    it's an urban downtown yanno. Zero lot line setbacks, wide sidewalks, a mix of uses, narrow streets with a beautiful tree cannopy. On-street parking with off-street parking via structures. There is no such thing as a "suburban-feeling downtown" because suburbs don't have them. Suburbs try to re-create a "dowtown" type atmopahere but fall flat due to parking requirements. Again I will ask, what makes slo a good "place" that we as planners strive to replicate at our munis that we live or work at? (especially those cyburbians) who have never been there because there are many users of this board who have never even been to California. Your descriptions of slo so far has just made it sound like a ticky tacky place.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    it's an urban downtown yanno. Zero lot line setbacks, wide sidewalks, a mix of uses, narrow streets with a beautiful tree cannopy. On-street parking with off-street parking via structures. There is no such thing as a "suburban-feeling downtown" because suburbs don't have them. Suburbs try to re-create a "dowtown" type atmopahere but fall flat due to parking requirements. Again I will ask, what makes slo a good "place" that we as planners strive to replicate at our munis that we live or work at? (especially those cyburbians) who have never been there because there are many users of this board who have never even been to California. Your descriptions of slo so far has just made it sound like a ticky tacky place.
    is SLO's downtown considered urban? so suburbs and rural areas don't have downtowns? interesting

SLO's downtown has a row of bars for college students, local boutique stores, and the mission. It also has it's fair share of street retail chains and eateries. It also has an independant film cinema.

Also, SLO has the Edna Valley winery region. Which is one of the best winery regions in California. And California has the best wineries in the USA. SLO's year-round 80 degree and close location to the paso robles winery region and the beach makes it a popular destination.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    is SLO's downtown considered urban? so suburbs and rural areas don't have downtowns? interesting
    Yes. Case in point: Can you point out on a map where "downtown" Northridge is? It takes on a subruan form through its parking, setbacks, street types, etc, hence there is no definitive "center" like a true downtown that consists of mutliple uses, incorporation of civic uses, etc.

Rural areas, they are just that, rural. Take Santa Maragrita, near your home. A collection of homes, yet rural in nature. No downtown in the true "urban form".

Again, all you have named are bars, wineries, etc, but nothing "planning"esq that planners on this board would like to emulate. Again, as a student, try to not think of planning as a "retail" or "what is in the place," but rather the nuts and bolts of "how the place was created" and how do we, as planners take the learning lessons and implement the good things into future projects.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Yes. Case in point: Can you point out on a map where "downtown" Northridge is? It takes on a subruan form through its parking, setbacks, street types, etc, hence there is no definitive "center" like a true downtown that consists of mutliple uses, incorporation of civic uses, etc.

Rural areas, they are just that, rural. Take Santa Maragrita, near your home. A collection of homes, yet rural in nature. No downtown in the true "urban form".

Again, all you have named are bars, wineries, etc, but nothing "planning"esq that planners on this board would like to emulate. Again, as a student, try to not think of planning as a "retail" or "what is in the place," but rather the nuts and bolts of "how the place was created" and how do we, as planners take the learning lessons and implement the good things into future projects.
    Well, planning wise I guess SLO would be special that have no drive-thrus and started the rule of no smoking within 300 ft of public buildings. SLO has a retail district like most affluent areas. SLO is divided by the strip malls on the outskirts of the city, downtown in the center, cal poly to the north, and the airport to the south.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Well, planning wise I guess SLO would be special that have no drive-thrus and started the rule of no smoking within 300 ft of public buildings.
    See now that wasn't that hard now was it? The fun part is the older fast food joints still have the "drive up window" but no driveway access for the drive thru part. As you can see, this is something as a starting point. Now just include pictures and reasonings behind the zoning ordinance regulation and you start to have a decent thread with some real dialogue with planners. As for the no smoking thing, 300 feet seems excess. I think you meant 25 feet (which is consistent with state law) and it was the 1st city in the US to ban public smoking inside buildings in 1990. 300 feet is a bit excessive and typically used as a distance for public noticing for zoning/gp changes.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    See now that wasn't that hard now was it? The fun part is the older fast food joints still have the "drive up window" but no driveway access for the drive thru part. As you can see, this is something as a starting point. Now just include pictures and reasonings behind the zoning ordinance regulation and you start to have a decent thread with some real dialogue with planners. As for the no smoking thing, 300 feet seems excess. I think you meant 25 feet (which is consistent with state law) and it was the 1st city in the US to ban public smoking inside buildings in 1990. 300 feet is a bit excessive and typically used as a distance for public noticing for zoning/gp changes.
    here is a pic of Foster Freeze in downtown SLO which i think used to have a drive through.

and one of a current fast food resturaunt

Okay, this is bit off topic. Why isn't there a Macy's Department Store in Merced, Chico, Woodland, Yuba City, Hanford, Victorville, Palmdale, or Eureka?

What makes Macy's exclusive to some areas? JCPenney's, Sear's, and Kohl's all have about 1,000 department stores where as Macy's has about 8,00. Dillard's has about 300 because there are mostly mid-west. Nordstrom's has about 250 right below Dillard's. (Why is this important to me? Well, since SLO has no chance of getting a lifestyle center or mall due to people being so protective of downtown, there is a chance of getting Macy's in downtown or in the Dalidio Ranch project some day. It's my goal to get Macy's in SLO as a developer or planner).

Thanks for the help.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    I'm going to mark this thread, and redeem some of the direction and quality attributes of SLO, since I live in San Luis Obispo.

Actually, when I bring up my camera, I'll try to rectify some of the misleading information, show pictures, probably in a new thread to start from scratch. Urban19, you've kinda missed the mark on what makes San Luis Obispo it's own unique city.

BTW... since you posted a taco bell, we have the second highest grossing taco bell (or at least, that's the rumor)... It's a popular place for college students leaving the bars since it's open later than most other establishments.

But I'll give some details when I have some pictures to go with it. Probably next week.

And no, Costco is not our exciting feature. We're by no means the greatest city ever, but we do have some positive aspects planning wise, and Cal Poly also is moving in a good direction too in planning and sustainability.

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 03 Apr 2011, 8:52 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 Apr 2011, 2:18 PM
  3. San Luis Obispo downtown center...
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 67
    Last post: 08 Mar 2011, 11:41 AM
  4. San Luis Obispo, CA