Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Motorcycle shops: zoning issues

Registered
    Jul 2009

Motorcycle shops: zoning issues

How does your community deal with motorcycle shops? The possible operation would include sales, retail clothing, and service. Motorcycle sales is presently permitted only in industrial district.

PC is considering allowing it by right in general commerical district. Presently, we do not allow automobile sales and services in the district.

It appears noise is a primary consideration. There are residential areas that back right up to district.

Could it be allowed by right with a definition that includes a distance from residential units similar to adult business langauge?

Any examples or comments would be appreciated...

Thanks.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I can give you mine as a sample. We treat motorcycles like any cars and allow them in regional commerical zones. Here's my experience and I don't want to slam all dealers, just ours.
    We get noise complaints from abutting residential. They (customers and dealers) rev the engines, drive up and down the parking lot at high rpm, and drive down the local streets. Basically a lot of extra noise.
    They (the dealer) parks extra bikes on the sidewalks, landscape areas, and anywhere they can find room to display more.
    As a side note, the dealer keeps asking for a sign for every brand he sells (there's about 10 brands).

Some hints on conditions or solutions:
    Make sure there is no residential in the area, I'm okay with the regional commerical zone, just no neighbors within a few hunderd feet.
    Make sure the dealer provides his own outdoor display area so they don't push everything onto the landscaping or take up parking.
    Good luck on the signs, everyone wants hundreds of signs.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Thanks...

It would appear there are couple of options... conditional use or permitted with distance requirement as a development standard.

I appreciate the response.

Registered
    Dec 2006
    It reads like you have as much a personal behavior problem as you do a land use problem. Many of those nuisances could be addressed by noise ordinance, traffic control and outdoor display of merchandise ordinance as they could to just preclude a certain retail product in total.

Bike dealers/service facilities are treated here the same as any other automobile use. Even as a motorcycle rider/racer/enthusiast & city planner, I still don't afford them any considerations above any other conveyance.

Maybe try to seek to educate the persons acting badly, but not necessarily persecute the land use as a whole?

Registered
    Jul 2002

City centre motorbike sales

Melbourne Australia has a long history of morobike sales in the central CBD, Elizabeth St where about 6 retails line the pedestrian pavement with motorbikes!
    See http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3127/...bfe6c0.jpg?v=0
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_diJhwKObYi...n+Plan+014.jpg
    http://www.spotonmotorcycles.com.au/

and now a proposed? Motorcycle Precinct.. see http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/opm/...3_20040212.pdf

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    In addition to the comments above (noise ordinance, etc);

First of all, I'd only permit it in the districts where you permit automobile sales, or at least indoor showrooms (versus huge parking lots full of cars).

Secondly, I'd make it a Special Use because of the potential noise.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 09 May 2013, 10:40 AM
  2. Zoning regulation of pawn shops
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 11 Sep 2009, 1:17 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 30 Mar 2004, 10:58 PM
  4. City zoning issues
    Land Use and Zoning