Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Date Display

Registered
    Jul 2009

Date Display

Any way to change how the date is displayed for posts in general?

On just about every forum I've posted, the standard has been how dates are typically given in the U.S.

Month, Day, Year

E.G. 3-21-2009 along with a time (time is given on this forum).

While on these forums, it is:

Year, Month, Day

E.G. 2009-07-13 along with time as mentioned

It just throws me off because I'm so used to processing/viewing date in the same way and it makes me a little less likely to spend much time on the forums.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    ISO 8601

ISO 8601 is an international standard for date and time representations issued by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). Specifically, the standard is titled "Data elements and interchange formats — Information interchange — Representation of dates and times". The signature feature of ISO 8601 date and time representations is the ordering of date and time values from the most to the least significant or, in plain terms, from the largest (the year) to the smallest (the second).
    Why do we do it that way?

* If we did month-day-year, it would alienate those outside of the US and Canada, and inevitably generate the usual "Those silly Americans and their odd way of writing dates and their feet and pounds and gallons and warmongering ways" posts.

* If we did day-month-year, people inside the US and Canada would probably complain. I've had supervisors on ore than one occasion tell me not to use day-month-year in letters, because it was "militaristic" and "European".

* The order of date from most significant to least significant makes it easier and quicker to comprehend the age of a post or thread when reading or browsing through older posts.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    ISO 8601

Why do we do it that way?

* If we did month-day-year, it would alienate those outside of the US and Canada, and inevitably generate the usual "Those silly Americans and their odd way of writing dates and their feet and pounds and gallons and warmongering ways" posts.

* If we did day-month-year, people inside the US and Canada would probably complain. (I've had supervisors on ore than one occasion tell me not to use day-month-year in letters, because it was "militaristic" and European".)

* The order of date from most significant to least significant makes it easier and quicker to comprehend the age of a post when looking through older posts.
    Actually, most Canadians do the day-month-year thing. It's only those silly Americans I guess that do month-day-year, which makes absolutely no sense to me.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Oh, well thanks for the specifics as to why it is the way it is. I thought more forums had display options but I guess this forum doesn't.

I sort of liken it to the reason I chose to stay with Windows vs. Mac's OS. I've been using computers since I was a child at age 8 and I'm 22 now and the particulars of how Windows is set up, like where you click to access something minimize, exit, etc. and a few other particulars I can't summon up at this moment--I'd have to work with Mac again to refresh my memory, just throws me off because I'm so used to Windows and slows me down. There may be work arounds for that but I doubt it because a a Mac is a Mac and a PC is a PC.

I would say and argue that if yes, the majority of people use one system it would probably be better, regardless of what is "most significant" first, though maybe this is just how I process and read things--I get in the habit of things being a certain way and something that is different in cases like this throws me off. I know for one example, I worked at fastfood and whenever there were "special orders" that completely threw me off and I wasn't really able to do that specific job because time was of the essence.

It sort of defeats the purpose of using a system that is easier to read when it throws one off but I would imagine I'm in the minority--wouldn't be the first time though though it would be nice to have display options to appease different people.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Digital Photo Display
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 21 Sep 2012, 3:55 PM
  2. Signs / billboards Window sign or display?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 09 Nov 2009, 11:51 AM
  3. Image Display
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 24 May 2006, 4:12 PM
  4. Avatar display order
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Aug 2004, 12:13 AM
  5. Signs / billboards Fireworks Display