Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning-related presentations to non-planning groups

Registered
    May 2002

Planning-related presentations to non-planning groups

I thought this would be fun to throw out for discussion.

Without going into too much detail of how this came about, I'm giving a presentation tomorrow in southwest Michigan. It is basically a social perspective on land planning, but what is interesting is how I've tied it to the group I'm speaking to. See, the event is the 2009 Michigan Jedi Gathering. Yeah, not planners, but people dressing up like Jedi, doing meditation, sparing, and learning about how planning relates to the Force.

Somehow, I don't think I'm getting CM credit for this one!

Anyway, what non-planning groups have you had a chance to speak of? Religious groups? Social clubs? Shriners? Anything more interesting than Jedi?
    The cookies are worth the drive

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    Anyway, what non-planning groups have you had a chance to speak of? Religious groups? Social clubs? Shriners? Anything more interesting than Jedi?
    School kids and a garden club.

Speaking of Jedi you might mention the planning efforts that must have gone into Curascant - you know, the capital planet of the Republic, the one where the entire planet is one big city.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I wish I had given presentations to groups like the Jedi. I've got your plan, Darth Vader! I often felt like presentations to the planning boards were being given to people who had no concept of what planners do.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Galactic planning is a field in its' infancy. Few can appreciate the difficulties involved. Ever try to schedule a public hearing for everyone within a 6 parsecs range? The mailing lists alone can make one wilt. And how many times has it happened to you where you're staffing a meeting and an Antarian makes a statement like we never recieved notification and just as you're producing the mailing list to show 'em you did, someone time travels to where you were putting the list together and scratches their name off and you see it vanish in front of your eyes at the meeting.

At last week's Galactic Council meeting we had a rezoning request from Nimbus 5 - seems someone working for the Dark Side wanted to increase the density from one Death Star per sector to one per system! Needless to say that meeting was a late nighter!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    May the Force be with you in your presentation!

I always thought my dream job in the planning worl would be the city manager in Cloud City.

As for planning presentations to non-planning groups, there are a couple people in our office who are always giving presentations and actual training to school kids (like those in 4th and 5th grades). I always thought that seemed sort of cool.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    May the Force be with you in your presentation!

I always thought my dream job in the planning worl would be the city manager in Cloud City.

As for planning presentations to non-planning groups, there are a couple people in our office who are always giving presentations and actual training to school kids (like those in 4th and 5th grades). I always thought that seemed sort of cool.
    I always thought it would be cool to be a planner on Ringworld. If nothing else, the view would be spectacular. Be a planner for an underwater city would be cool too. Talk about highest and best use in a very limited area.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Oh, your usual Rotaries, neighborhood groups, business groups. I always like the seniors' groups that are intent on giving you a certificate just because you showed up... I was pleased to be asked to speak to my son's grade school. But the mayor and I were totally eclipsed by the mom who was a DEA agent packing heat.

Gotta admit, Jedis are unique; you're a brave one.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    This is absolutely dork-tastic. I, for one, would love to be World Planner for the resort world of Risa, a favorite R&R spot for Commander Riker. Maybe I might even run into him at a board meeting or something.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    I once gave a presentation to the local Moose Lodge about Historic Preservation. The Planning Director has given a presentation to the same group about our recently finished Housing Needs Assessment. One of the head honchos in the Moose Lodge is a local landlord who's on the Housing Commission though, so that may have something to do with it.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by anf View post
    I once gave a presentation to the local Moose Lodge about Historic Preservation. The Planning Director has given a presentation to the same group about our recently finished Housing Needs Assessment. One of the head honchos in the Moose Lodge is a local landlord who's on the Housing Commission though, so that may have something to do with it.
    What an opportunity to do your best Bullwinkle imitation! Or, as an alternative, do it as Rocky and see if anyone catches on.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 03 Dec 2013, 2:06 PM
  2. Replies: 36
    Last post: 12 Jul 2007, 10:54 PM
  3. Replies: 37
    Last post: 06 Jan 2006, 9:34 AM
  4. Replies: 178
    Last post: 03 Dec 2004, 12:28 AM
  5. Replies: 0