Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Las Vegas vs. Nageezi

Registered
    Jul 2009

Las Vegas vs. Nageezi

am working as a librarian in Las Vegas but grew up in northern NM. I am definitely an amateur in the field but have a long term fascination with urban planning issues.

I was drawn to the forum by the photos posted by teofilo on the homepage. I may be the only other forum member who knows exactly where Nageezi NM is; I used to visit the dentist there in a little Public Health Service trailer parked next to the Navajo Chapter House.

As a child I lived a couple of miles from the entrance to Chaco Canyon National Historical Park while my father taught at the Headstart Preschool Building near there. At that time all of these locations were 60 miles from the nearest town, Bloomfield, NM and 25 miles of dirt road to the nearest highway, now US 550.

Needless to say, Las Vegas couldn't be more different. Yet, the Anasazi (see Chaco Canyon) connection has followed me here. Just recently, Dr. Robert Fielden, a long-time Las Vegas architect and urban planner gave a commentary on KNPR about architecture and planning lessons Las Vegas could learn from the Anasazi. Dr. Robert Fielden

I am interested in posting some photos of the infamous walls of Las Vegas, (once I take them) sort of the anti-thesis of the mixed use of small town downtowns that teofilo shows.

Looking forward to seeing what you will post! Las Vegas is a great diverse city, although haven't been there in a while...

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Howdy from Central Texas. Welcome to Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2005
    Welcome Chuck_M. Good to have another New Mexican here! I grew up in PA, but have lived here for 11 years. We do have some NM roots - my aunt was born in Hobbs, my brother was born in Alamogordo and my father was stationed at Holloman AFB in the 1950s. When we moved here in 1998, we first lived in an unincorporated community north of Bernalillo (called Llanito - its on a little nook carved out of Santa Ana land), then the South Valley and now downtown ABQ.

I work at an unusual arts center doing community development related work as well as some sustainability programming at our facility and the Montessori school that owns us. I started and manage a community garden space in a local 'hood, organize a community parade and fiesta and manage several other program areas.

There are a few people on here who live or have lived in NM, but not too many. Again, I wasn't born here, but I know where Nageezi is AND how to pronounce it

Look forward to your sharing planning info from (the other) Las Vegas...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Welcome aboard!

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from Dallas, TX!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Welcome, and glad to hear that I've been such an inspiration.

As some people might have guessed, I work at Chaco (though I won't for much longer, as I'm going to grad school in the fall). It's still 60 miles from town, but now only 13 miles is dirt.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome from the Hoosier State, along the Ohio River.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Welcome from another Hoosier, also along the Ohio River.

We drove through Nageezi on our trek from Albuquerque to Durango last month. A '4.00' storm was passing through so I was pretty intent on the road and not my surroundings. We didn't make it to Las Vegas on our return trip, but I heard plenty of radio ads for the town.

Welcome aboard and I look forward to seeing you around.

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Going to APA in Vegas?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 187
    Last post: 06 May 2008, 8:51 AM
  2. Las Vegas
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 04 May 2007, 9:02 PM
  3. New from Las Vegas
    Introduce Yourself