Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Window signs

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2009

Window signs

Hello everyone, from the big City of Calgary.

I'm working on a project related to Window Signs. Specifically, we're having issues with enforcement towards the % of a window area that can be covered with a sign and some places using signage on a window where there are "small holes" in order to say that there is still some light penetration into the business.

I was wondering if anyone in the US or Canada might have run into this issue and how you deal with the issue?

From what research I've found - most cities typically regulate the percentage of a window which can have a sign; but I've not run into any that deal with light penetration or ability to still see into the store.

Any help would be appreciated!

Registered
    Dec 2008
    We allow business owners to put whatever they want in their windows, even in historic districts. It would be a pain to regulate window signs as well as wall signs.

Some businesses (liquor stores) do the tacky thing and plaster signs of all colors everywhere and others do a more normal things and have a few neon signs or 1 or 2 sale signs.

Good luck.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I am with Stroskey on this...just too hard to regulate.But I have seen a rotating blue light in a store front window.

If you have the staff and governing body support, go for it. But there is a good chance it it over before begun.

Can you get law enforcement to say on the record that they need visabilty? That would greatly increae your chances of success.

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Mike is correct. It's a big thing, especially with liquior stores and conv. markets. Cops say that they need to see into the places when they drive by in order to spot potential problems. This ties in to a public safety issue and adds considerable weight. Even then, enforcement may be hard to keep up with. Windo signs change all the time.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    The only regulations we have is that no more than 25% of the window can be covered. Enforcing it is a pain though since window signs are exempt from having to obtain a sign permit. The only way it is enforced is if our code enforcement officer notices it, the business has to really being going overboard with the signage, i.e. well over 50% coverage.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    our regs allow any signage inside of a window with the exception of blinking or moving lights, which are considered a distraction for automobile operators. i think asking business owners to report the exact percentage of windows covered with signage is somewhat burdensome for both the businesses and you in enforcement. What makes sense to me is just having somewhat vague language that says the majority of a window cannot be covered with signage, as interpreted by a reasonable person.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2009

Window Signs

Thanks everyone for your information. Unfortunately; our regulations are all about being a burden (pun intended). We don't require window signs to obtain development permits; but no more of than 25% of the window can be covered in signs.

There is a movement with our policy people to have things in area structure/redevelopment plans (in commercial policy) talking about light penetration and eyes on the street - hence my research work.

Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to get away from the rules anytime soon.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I think I remember seeing something in a Chicago downtown ordiance about visibility into shops, but it was more about making attractive streets to walk on.
    You could try that.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 17
    Last post: 16 Mar 2011, 5:31 PM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last post: 17 Aug 2009, 9:36 AM
  3. Window roads
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 31 Oct 2008, 5:22 PM
  4. Replies: 1