Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What else can I do with a masters in planning?

Registered
    May 2009

What else can I do with a masters in planning?

Hello all,

I am wondering how people view the flexibility of a masters degree in Urban and Regional Planning. My interest in planning is with community development, and with environmental/sustainability issues. I am curious if there are other areas (career fields) that a planning degree can be applied to; or is one generally limited to a career that is "strictly" planning?

Thanks

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SkaVille View post
    Hello all,

I am wondering how people view the flexibility of a masters degree in Urban and Regional Planning. My interest in planning is with community development, and with environmental/sustainability issues. I am curious if there are other areas (career fields) that a planning degree can be applied to; or is one generally limited to a career that is "strictly" planning?

Thanks
    Do you have a master's degree in planning?

Lots of flexibility in my view. It's a very broad area to apply education, training, professional knowledge and skills.

Poke around in the Career Development and Advice threads. That might help you.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Poke around in the Career Development and Advice threads. That might help you.
    Moderator note:
    Gedunker~
    Indeed. Thread moved from Make No Small Plans subforum to Career Development and Advice. Carry on.

Registered
    Jul 2009

What can I do withOUT a Master of Planning degree?

Hi there,

Along similar lines, I am interested in rural/small town sustainability, from angles including but not restricted to : food security, economic resilience, healthy lifestyles, alternative transportation, co-housing, low-carbon community development, multi-generational interaction and educational exchanges...

Do I need that Master of Planning degree? Does anyone have experience in community development or has anyone hired someone in a planning-type role (especially in rural areas) without a Masters? How likely is it to find work in a small town with or without that degree, and to what extent can one make an impact in a smaller community from a grassroots level instead?

I am interested in research and writing about the above issues, and potentially holding a position on town council in the future. I have been accepted into a Masters program but am re-evaluating a career path that may restrict where I can live (I know what small community I want to live and work in - and it's not where the school is). I would eventually like to run a "rural renaissance" type of resource centre for community members as well as an online research and writing component for other communities. What are my chances of getting funding without a Masters degree behind me?

Thanks for your tips.

Christine

Registered
    Jul 2003
    RE: What can you do with a Master's in Planning?
    My sister has a degree in Journalism. Why? Because that's what her scholarship was for. She hasn't worked as a journalist. She is much better at the job hunting thing than I am. She always told me "You get a degree to get a foot in the door. That's all. Unless you are going into medicine or something like that, it matters little what your degree is in." I think there is some merit to that idea.

Quote Originally posted by cparton View post
    I am interested in research and writing about the above issues, and potentially holding a position on town council in the future. I have been accepted into a Masters program but am re-evaluating a career path that may restrict where I can live (I know what small community I want to live and work in - and it's not where the school is). I would eventually like to run a "rural renaissance" type of resource centre for community members as well as an online research and writing component for other communities. What are my chances of getting funding without a Masters degree behind me?

Thanks for your tips.

Christine
    My recollection: There's a Master's in Planning in Sacramento California that is mostly online and requires you to go there like a couple of weekends a quarter...or something like that. http://www.usc.edu/schools/sppd/programs/sacramento/

If you want a governmental job, get the degree. You will have a hard time being hired without it. But if you are very clear what you want to do and can define it in terms of either a start-up business or founding a non-profit, then I would say skip the degree and do what interests you. Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard at like age 19. Madonna also had about a year of college. Most successful entrepreneurs are college dropouts. Finishing a degree is important for fitting into a big bureaucracy and even to getting your foot into the door for very conservative establishments (like government). But it is often unnecessary (and can be antithetical) to creating something new. My opinion: Folks who finish degrees tend to want societal approval. Folks who found companies/non-profits are more often mavericks who have trouble fitting in and either never cared to or at some point stop caring.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Now we're talking! I think it's clear to me where my interest/inclination lies...I am just on the cusp of that stage when one either bucks tradition/societal approval or decides to go to bed with it.

Thank you...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Oct 2013, 7:57 AM
  2. School: UK (general) Planning masters in the UK
    Student Commons
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 10 Jul 2013, 5:22 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 02 Mar 2011, 5:09 PM
  4. Urban planning masters