Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Toronto: Where to Live

Registered
    Feb 2010

Toronto: Where to Live

I'm moving to Toronto to study at U of T in a few months.

What's a good neighborhood? I've done some research but would like some feedback.

I want to live either downtown itself or on a streetcar/subway line not far away. I've been told the neighborhoods west of the Don Parkway are more affordable.

I want an edgy, gritty neighborhood. Some place affordable possibly on or very near an historic commercial district. I don't want to pay more than 1,500 in rent.

Thx!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I wonder what that narrow little house that was built in that driveway goes for? ISTR that it is on Toronto's NW side.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally posted by MayorSlay View post
    I'm moving to Toronto to study at U of T in a few months.

What's a good neighborhood? I've done some research but would like some feedback.

I want to live either downtown itself or on a streetcar/subway line not far away. I've been told the neighborhoods west of the Don Parkway are more affordable.

I want an edgy, gritty neighborhood. Some place affordable possibly on or very near an historic commercial district. I don't want to pay more than 1,500 in rent.

Thx!
    How big of a place to you want? $1,500 can get you a nice one or two-bedroom depending on the area. If you're looking to live right downtown then you're probably looking at a small one-bedroom, but great transportation options. In terms of communities west of the DVP there are some cheaper neighbourhoods there (and fairly close to U of T), but they're generally not thought of as very "nice" areas. If you want to check them out online some community names are St. Jamestown, Regent Park, Riverdale (a very quaint and expensive area), and the Distillery District.

Any specific questions, let me know -- I've lived here my whole life (and I do go to U of T as well).

Cheers.

Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    I wonder what that narrow little house that was built in that driveway goes for? ISTR that it is on Toronto's NW side.

Mike
    It's been listed at $185,000. It's actually a pretty decent price for that part of the city.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 01 Apr 2010 at 11:29 AM. Reason: seq. posts

Registered
    Jul 2007
    $1,500? Is that in American dollars? With the current exchange rate, that's about $500 Canadian. It won't get you anywhere near the centre of Toronto, or even in the GTA. Maybe Buffalo. Sorry.
    Canada is a place of infinite promise. We like the people, and if one ever had to emigrate, this would be the destination, not the U.S.A. The hills, lakes and forests make it a place of peace and repose of the mind, such as one never finds in the U.S.A.
    -- John Maynard Keynes

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    You shouldn't have an issue with your budget. If you want to be close to U of T, look around the Annex or Kensington Market areas. Lots of variety in housing stock, from converted houses to new condo buildings.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Canadian Planner View post
    $1,500? Is that in American dollars? With the current exchange rate, that's about $500 Canadian. It won't get you anywhere near the centre of Toronto, or even in the GTA. Maybe Buffalo. Sorry.
    What do you mean? The current exchange rates are almost exactly even as of today.

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-co...o=CAD;amt=1500

Basically $1500 US = $1500 CAD
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Mar 2004

Well....

I have it on good authority that Toronto doesn't have any "bad" neighborhoods I heard a nasty rumor that someone found a sandwich wrapper on the ground near Dundas Street W. and Spadina Avenue....but I'm sure that was just a rumor

Seriously does it matter what neighborhood your in? This is Canada we're talking about.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Feb 2010
    Thanks everyone.

I'm very excited to get out of the United States.

What about Cabbagetown or the Annex?

St. Louis is almost entirely brick (what we haven't torn down) so I would prefer historic areas over being surrounded by generic Chicago-style modern condos.

As long as there is streetcar access (excited about 24 hour) I'll be great.

Also, does Toronto have farmer markets and/or smaller corner grocery stores? Weird question I know. I would like to live near these types of businesses instead of the supermarket.

I am visiting in May!
    Last edited by MayorSlay; 14 Apr 2010 at 3:39 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2010
    I would choose the Annex over Cabbage town. Way closer to the campus ( you might even bike or walk if you want to save on the TTC metro pass which is way more expensive than ever).
    Also, I find it to be more brick like and a little more central.
    I would suggest you look for good options near Harbour st, many converted houses in the area.

Good luck!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 35
    Last post: 16 Apr 2008, 12:35 PM
  2. Live Aid 8
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 03 Jun 2005, 10:49 AM
  3. Would you live here?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 87