Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Transportation planning schools

Registered
    Jul 2009

Transportation planning schools

Hello all... new here, so I'm sure this is probably a repeat topic... happy to delete if necessary... but I'm interested in a graduate program in planning, specifically focused on transportation. I'm looking for any kinds of tips and suggestions on the best schools/locations/etc. I'm still sort of new to the area (did my undergrad degree in political science) so I'm not sure I can ask more specific questions. I do know I'd like to go someplace that already has a robust mass transit system... I want the school to be located somewhere that's worth living for two years! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Moderator note:
    Gedunker~
    Welcome to Cyburbia, PKehres! I've moved your thread from the Transportation Planning subforum to the Student Lounge. Questions about colleges and universities will get far better replies here, where folks also tend to look for them. Thanks and carry on!
    Last edited by Gedunker; 27 Jul 2009 at 4:56 PM.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    The ACSP guide to planning schools is an indispensable resource, with lots of info on all the planning programs in North America (and some outside). It can be found at:

http://www.acsp.org/Guide/guide_index.htm

Hope that helps!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Many schools will fit your requirements- I'd look for a school that also has one of the federally funded Centers for Transportation Studies (I may be getting that name slightly wrong.) There are about 10 of them around the country, and many also have planning schools. The 2 I know of are MIT and Minnesota.

Other than that, any of the many schools in NYC should fit your interests, as should Berkeley.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Other than that, any of the many schools in NYC should fit your interests, as should Berkeley.
    Yes and no. I study in NYC, and although we have a good public transit system (amazing by American standards) my take on it is that the programs here do not focus heavily on hands on transportation planning. NYU is more policy (but does have a Environment, Infrastructure and Transportation specialization), Columbia is academia (although they do have a physical planning/transportation specialization), Hunter is hands on physical/community planning, and Pratt is community development and urban design.

I'm not incredibly informed on all these programs, but having looked into them I'd say that you should check them out closely to see if they're what you're looking for.

I've looked closely into Portland State and Texas A&M, they seem to have interesting transportation planning programs. Flipping through that ACSP guide will show a great many more programs that specialize in transit, I'm just unsure which ones are considered good. Maybe look into University of Ill. @ Chicago as well. Just my 2 cents
    Last edited by AddG; 28 Jul 2009 at 1:40 PM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    MIT, Berkley, UCLA, USC, Portland State, Rutgers and Georgia Tech all have well regarded transportation planning programs and are located in major metro areas with mass transit systems.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 29 Dec 2010, 10:02 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Oct 2010, 11:41 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 21 Jan 2010, 10:19 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Jun 2009, 12:05 AM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last post: 15 Oct 2004, 11:36 AM