Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Crime and Punishment

Registered
    Aug 2001

Crime and Punishment

Last night I closed the downstairs windows before going to bed. Why? I watched the 10:00 news. A gang of criminals has been breaking into homes in the town next door, at night when residents are home and asleep. While police captured three, there are others still on the loose. There are worse criminals still around. A couple days ago an ice cream stand was robbed. The manager was shot and an 18-year old kid working there was killed. Police have identified suspects. Both have long records. One has 20 arrests as a juvenile and is on parole for his other crimes as an adult. The other served time for first degree sexual assault in addition to other crimes as an adult and juvenile. Both are gang members. My first thought was "why are these thugs even out on the street?"

It seems we tend to fall into one of two camps. Either we believe in zero-tolerance, truth-in-sentencing, three strikes, and similar tough approaches to crime, or we believe in rehabilitation, time served and a fresh start, treatment for addictions, etc. Both approaches have their problems, but set that aside for a moment. Our faltering economy is going to raise the level of debate. On the one hand, criminal activity tend to increase as the economy weakens, as people on the margins perceive fewer opportunities. On the other hand, strained state budgets have many prison systems (which have been one of the fastest-growing budget expenses) releasing prisoners early, putting them back on the street. A perfect storm?

So what is the solution? More widespread use of the death sentence? More efforts to rehabilitate offenders? Forced labor for prisoners, to help recoupe some of the cost of housing them? Ankle bracelets and home sentencing? Exiling criminals to remote island prisons where they can serve out their sentence, and if they live through it, remain for the rest of their lives?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Rethink the "war on drugs". Would resolve many problems

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Exiling criminals to remote island prisons where they can serve out their sentence, and if they live through it, remain for the rest of their lives?
    AIB the movie Papillon (1973) ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    So what is the solution? More widespread use of the death sentence? More efforts to rehabilitate offenders? Forced labor for prisoners, to help recoupe some of the cost of housing them? Ankle bracelets and home sentencing? Exiling criminals to remote island prisons where they can serve out their sentence, and if they live through it, remain for the rest of their lives?
    There is no good solution.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Richi View post
    Rethink the "war on drugs". Would resolve many problems
    Agree. Alot of these sort of problems are made worse and more common by the failed war on drugs.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I think we need an intelligent way to identify/discriminate reformables from unreformables. How can this best be accomplished? We don't want to waste time or resources on people that have no interest in taking on a useful role in society. Based on recidivism rates http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/reentry/recidivism.htm it would appear the percentage of reformables, though, would be a minority.
    Here's what Cyburbia had to say on the topic earlier.
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...ime+punishment
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Here's what Cyburbia had to say on the topic earlier.
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...ime+punishment
    My previous responses were so well reasoned and cogent that I don't think I can improve on them but I would like to suggest that we set aside New Jersey and the various legislatures as potential places of residence and employment for the miscreants. Commercial banking should be a required course of study for the inmates.

Slightly more seriously, it's not a problem that's unique to our society. I don't think anyone anywhere has found a solution to crime that works successfully on a societal rather than individual basis.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 29 May 2012, 1:48 PM
  2. Crime and Punishment
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 10 Sep 2007, 1:10 PM
  3. Punishment for Cheating
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28