Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: I need a site plan in Georgia. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Registered
    Jul 2009

I need a site plan in Georgia. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Hello everyone. I am not a planner, but I am tired of googling and not getting any real results, maybe I am not typing in the correct term(s)?

I am a business person and I have purchased some commercial property in Atlanta, GA (DeKalb County). The property is zoned light industrial and I have already been approved to place a used car dealership there.

DeKalb County is requiring a site plan before they will grant me a business licence. So this is where is hoping someone here will be able to assist me? DeKalb county has fired tons employees so trying to get help from them is a joke.

The property is 1.65 acres. There was a house on the property, but a fire completely destroyed it. I plan on placing a modular sales office on the property, parking spaces, handicap ramp leading from the parking spaces to the sales office, a fence, and a sign. As of right now, the land is a blank slate - so I pretty much can lay out the property to my liking (withing guidelines) of course.

I have to provide a drawing / site plan for DeKalb County to review and approve before I can move forward. They provided me with a sample plan and it looks fairly straightforward as to what they need. I can upload the sample plan if anyone would like to see it?

Is there anyone here in GA, preferrably DeKalb County and/or Atlanta that can contract to handle this? If not, can anyone recommend any firms that will be knowledgeable in this department that I can hire? I am trying to be "by the book" and I just want to do everything right the first time. There are so many rules & applications regarding signage, fencing, setbacks, landscaping, handicap accessability... I just don't want to get something wrong.

Thank you guys & gals for taking the time to read this and I hope I posted it in the right section?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Fortunately what you describe seems fairly simple and you should be able to do the site plan yourself. Unless the county has told you they require the plan to be done by a design professional I would do it yourself.

Take some graph paper, lay out the site as it sits and draw out where the building and ramp will go. Draw in the spaces for the used vehicles. You can get the setbacks by either looking online at their zoning ordinance or calling the planning office. It shouldn't take you more than 10 or 15 minutes to complete.

Make sure you have approval from GA DOT for used car sales and you meet all utility requirements. Good luck.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Did they give you an application or checklist for your site plan? Is the county ok with a modular for the office? If you don't want to do it yourself you may just hire an engineer or surveyor to help you out. I would also recommend drawing this site plan on a survey or the property or a tracing of it to scale.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Hire a local engineer to draw up a site design to satisfy the county's need as well as any future entitlements down the road (like a building permit for the modular). Have you tried asking the planning department for a reputable firm? They may have a turnover but it doesn't hurt to ask now does it?
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2008
    Based on what you're saying, Chin, it sounds like you may need an actual engineered site plan, complete with paving and grading, building pad placement, parking design/layout, landscaping, utilities, stormwater management system and anything else the county requires for site plan approval. This might not be necessary at the stage you are in right now (obtaining a business license), but to actually place the building and build all the components you reference in your post, you likely will require professional design services at some point. I would go with hiring a local engineering firm to handle design and submittal - they will often coordinate subconsultants such as surveyors, geotechnical engineers and any other subconsultants necessary to actually design and permit your site. I work for an Architectural, Engineering and Planning firm, and we provide these type services with an office in the Atlanta area. If you'd like any further contact information, I'll be happy to provide it to you separately. Good luck with your project regardless. The process to get a business off the ground can be confusing!
    Last edited by Gatrgal93; 04 Aug 2009 at 1:42 PM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Call Mark Walton at Patrick and Associates at 770-483-9745. He is an engineer and submits site plans almost daily in the jurisdiction I work for which is neighboring DeKalb County. He is very reputable and reasonable (price wise).

I apologize to the moderators if this is a breach, please delete if so.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by shell_waster View post
    Call Mark Walton at Patrick and Associates at 770-483-9745. He is an engineer and submits site plans almost daily in the jurisdiction I work for which is neighboring DeKalb County. He is very reputable and reasonable (price wise).

I apologize to the moderators if this is a breach, please delete if so.
    Thank you! Yes everyone, I do need a full set of engineered plans... I was quoted a price the day before yesterday and I nearly fainted. I need a land disturbance permit as well as a building permit...

Quote Originally posted by Gatrgal93 View post
    Based on what you're saying, Chin, it sounds like you may need an actual engineered site plan, complete with paving and grading, building pad placement, parking design/layout, landscaping, utilities, stormwater management system and anything else the county requires for site plan approval. This might not be necessary at the stage you are in right now (obtaining a business license), but to actually place the building and build all the components you reference in your post, you likely will require professional design services at some point. I would go with hiring a local engineering firm to handle design and submittal - they will often coordinate subconsultants such as surveyors, geotechnical engineers and any other subconsultants necessary to actually design and permit your site. I work for an Architectural, Engineering and Planning firm, and we provide these type services with an office in the Atlanta area. If you'd like any further contact information, I'll be happy to provide it to you separately. Good luck with your project regardless. The process to get a business off the ground can be confusing!
    Thanks and yes, please send me that info.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 05 Aug 2009 at 8:28 AM. Reason: double reply

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2008

Contact information ...

Quote Originally posted by Chin View post
    Thanks and yes, please send me that info.
    I sent you an email with our firm's contact information. I'm not sure if you can get email yet, so if you do not receive the email, please let me know, and I'll post it here.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 30 Nov 2011, 11:39 AM
  2. Administration / review / process Site plan expirations
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 05 May 2011, 8:46 AM
  3. Administration / review / process Site plan amendments
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 26 Apr 2011, 9:23 AM