Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Proportion of residential zones, London

Proportion of residential zones, London

Dear board,

I am a reseacher working towards the initiation of a research-driven blog. I hope you can either answer this question, or send me in the direction of someone who can.

My intuitive contention is that, in London (and some other British cities), there has been, and still is, an ongoing, proportional increase in residential areas. As residential provision increases, so space for other purposes dwindles.

Any relevant contacts, thoughts, documents would be immensely valuable to my work.

Many thanks,
    Matt

Registered
    Aug 2006
    This is not only occurring in London, but is being actively planned for:

The London Plan > Industrial Land Studies

Conversion of industrial lands to other uses is an issue facing many local governments today.

More examples

Hi JimPlans,

Thanks for the link. That's perfect.

I'm also interested if the policy trend applies to less industrial-estate-type zones but also other use buildings being turned to a residential purpose. For example churches, erstwhile shops and office complexes.

I sense a sneaking increase in the general volume of residential provision, in London at least.

Thanks again,
    Matt

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I have seen anecdotal evidence in places like New York, Toronto and Boston for the conversion of commercial and institutional uses to residential, but I know of no comprehensive studies of this trend. I would suspect that it is confined to prosperous, dense, older cities that have high-quality buildings that could be reused for residential purposes.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2009
    back in the early 80's New York City did a study on the rate of conversion of manufacturing loft space to residential use. IIRC the study focused on the areas of SoHo and Tribeca.

I'm not aware of any more contemporary studies.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    For your future research needs I suggest you obtain a copy of Ellen Dunham-Jones' book, "Retrofitting Suburbia." This book provides case studies about reusing and redeveloping buildings and blocks of buildings that were typically constructed away from the central cities. This type of construction is what led to the massive urban sprawl the US has seen since the end of WWII.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 03 Feb 2007, 10:40 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 14 Sep 2006, 11:14 PM
  3. Replies: 86
    Last post: 13 Jul 2005, 8:02 AM
  4. Self-storage in residential zones
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 24 Feb 2004, 3:33 PM