Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Applying for a state job

Registered
    Jan 2009

Applying for a state job

I applied for a job with the Heritage Council recently as a Restoration Project Manager and as I am not currently a government employee I don't really know all the ins and outs of how the government application / interview / employment system works. Since a lot of the good folks here in Cyburbia are under government employ I'm hoping they can key me into any nuggets of information that would be beneficial to know going into the job application / interview process. The posting closes today so the application part is pretty squared away but hopefully I make it to the interview phase. The job seems pretty awesome.

Thanks!

Registered
    May 2007
    Depends on the state. Arizona is a lot different than New York when it comes to hiring practices, care to divulge the State you applied to?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Kentucky

(min. 10 characters)

Registered
    Feb 1998
    The Heritage Council is full of awesome people...I hope you get it. I believe HR will pick the top 3-5 based on credentials, then interview. Make sure the application addresses each of the points in the posting. For professional jobs there often are no tests. The down side is that someone already in the state (commonwealth) system will have an upper hand.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Thanks!

I do have a friend down as a reference who works as general counsel for one of the state departments, hopefully that along with one of my professors from UK will add some sway. It was also a really short listing that I never saw on any of the big job sites - *fingers crossed* that not many people saw it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Feb 2012, 11:34 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 26 Aug 2010, 11:32 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 13 Jul 2010, 6:58 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Apr 2010, 10:34 PM
  5. Applying to out of state jobs
    Career Development and Advice